To everyone's surprise, especially my own, I'm now 300 days sober

Well… This deserves it’s own topic more than the 100 days did. But my opinion here is slightly biased. There’s something about round numbers that sounds better to me than weeks, months… hell… it’ll soon be years.

Anyway, enough rambling. It’s been a minute since I first joined this community guns blazing and arguing with anyone bored enough to enter a debate with me. A lot happened in my life since, I was a hot mess and even I had given up on myself.

Years of trauma and abuse had turned me into a self-destructive mess with one hell of a death wish. And I couldn’t see a way out. After years of one step forward, ten steps back… I was close to giving up on more than one occasion.

Anything to feel anything. Or better put, anything to numb everything. Then the drunken drugged up blackouts would happen. Hospitals. Police. Hospitals and police. Home made cuts, burns, and bruises. A slew of bizzare messages posted on the internet and sent to people who I really shouldn’t be in contact.

I was blocked by several former friends and exes over the years. And the sad thing is that I don’t even remember why exactly in some of these cases.

Being blackout drunk is a blessing and a curse. My behaviour was so out there and extreme I’m kinda glad I don’t remember most of it. On the flip side, the lack of memory made it easier to downplay the events and start drinking again within days. I’d tell myself, ‘Nah, fam, you’re cool. You can moderate, one bottle of red won’t hurt. You need it to relax.’

It got a lot worse before it got better. A quack shrink used me as a guinea pig and threw meds at me like they were Halloween candy. He nearly killed me. More hospitals, more police, almost getting institutionalized.

Then I found a good shrink who diagnosed me with the right stuff and put me on the right meds. I started functioning again. But did I stop drinking? For a while.

Then… on the merry go round I jumped. It’s fine, I can moderate, I’m kinda stable now. Stable I was. Moderate I could not.

On the 13th of January 2023 I had my last two beers. Two days before I went out, got blackout drunk, texted some people I really shouldn’t. It wasn’t anywhere near my worst blackout drunk regret. But it was my last.

The first few months things were pretty much up and down. Hell, today I’m pretty much up and down. Still mentally ill. But sober as a judge. Ok… me becoming a judge on anything even the X Factor would be a terrible idea.

But my life has changed a lot for the better. I’m… well, stable. My place is clean. I shower every single day (it’s a bigger deal than you’d think), I meditate and try practicing mindfulness most days, I’m working on a semi-regular schedule and, on some months, I’m even making decent money, my husband smiles more and he doesn’t worry about me as much (that’s probably the best part), I can tolerate my family a lot better.

Basically… I’m kinda like a normal person these days. I mean, I still sleep too much. My sugar intake is still not where I’d want it to be. And I’ve been procrastinating getting back into an exercise routine for far too long.

But… I’m happy.

Point of this ridiculously long post is… If I can do it, so can you. Getting sober was by far the best decision I ever made.

I’m also really grateful for this community. You guys play a huge part in my sobriety journey, and I’m grateful to play a small part in your journeys.

Love and light

L.

58 Likes

Congratulations Amy, proud of you lady :heart:

2 Likes

Right on, keep it goin! :cowboy_hat_face::100::metal:

2 Likes

This is brilliant, thank you for sharing. Massive congratulations on 300 days, that sounds like huge numbers and definitely deserves a thread :clap:

2 Likes

After which she rambled on forever.

Seriously though, you move me friend. And together we can move worlds. But lets start with ourselves. One sober day at a time. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for being here. Huge congrats on 300 days.

7 Likes

Congratulations @Amy30 :tada::balloon::tada:
What a wonderful achievement and what a moving post.
Thank you for just being you.
You are a huge part of my journey too.
Keep on keeping on :people_hugging::pray:

1 Like

Congratulations on 300days!

You are playing big part of my sobriety; probably you are not aware of this but I consider you my friend :slight_smile:

Keep on keeping on

2 Likes

It’s 2nd time I wrote exactly the same stuff as someone above me xD I swear I’m not copying

2 Likes

Congratulations and keep going :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done keep us posted on your journey wish you well

2 Likes

Congratulations on 300 days !! Absolutely awesome :heart::pray: x

1 Like

Aaaw thank you guys! You all make me feel very warm and fuzzy and all the good stuff. Sobriety really opens up doors.

@Mno nothing wrong with a good ramble :joy_cat:
@happyfeet Thanks Anne, you are such a massive inspiration to me too.
@Mischa84 honestly, the strenght you’re showing and staying sober while dealing with your day-to-day shit is truly amazing. I consider you a friend too and I’m honoured to (virtually) walk alongside you.

4 Likes

Congratulations on your 300 days this is huge. Keep going.

1 Like

Congrats, Amy!!

1 Like

It’s probably our thinking is very similar!
You rock @Mischa84 :clap:
Like @Amy30 said, it’s amazing how you’re dealing with all that stress in your day to day life. You’re a wonderful mom and such a strong young woman! Never doubt that! Keep up the good fight :people_hugging::pray::kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Major congratulation to you on your big :three::zero::zero:!! :raised_hands:t3::raised_hands:t3::raised_hands:t3:

1 Like

Oh I can so relate to this. If ever there was a litmus test for how I am doing in my mental health and recovery, all one has to do is look at my husband. Our partners know us best and also often don’t know how to help us when we are struggling, as the impetus to change must come from ourselves. I’m so proud of you! I have often related to your shares, as I also experience mental health challenges and always appreciate your candor here in your shares about how our experience in life is not a walk in the park even while sober. And that’s the whole point - we can’t begin to address our issues if we are blacked out and numb and imploding ourselves. And the contentment and successes that can be had while sober are incredibly worth it.
I am glad to know you here on TS and be on this path with you. Congratulations on 300 days! You’ve earned them. I’m glad you’re here.

P.S. This made me chuckle :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Because this has been me, also! It’s funny and sometimes cringey to look back, but also important to reflect, isn’t it?

4 Likes

I’m happy that i got to read your story. You have been through alot and you dont give up. Congrats on 300 days. Grateful that your here on TS and get to share your story.

1 Like

Woo hoo! Congratulations on 300 days!! :partying_face:
What I love most about this forum is to watch someone like you crawl out of the pit of despair and become a lady of dignity and grace. So proud of you!

4 Likes

Thanks Rosa, that really means a lot. And yeah… our partners do see the worst of our addictions and that really sucks. My husband put up with a lot, I think subconsciously I was trying to push him away, but the stubborn man stuck by me. He’s probably crazier than me. :joy_cat:

@Lisa07 thank you, Lisa. Ok… the lady part made me chuckle! :grin:

4 Likes