To the relapser: volume 8

Boredom. In my 1203 days here, I have watched boredom be the excuse for relapse after relapse. As an active alcoholic, I filled my non work time with booze. The easiest chores pissed me off because it took away from drinking. Or, chores were done half assed because I was drinking.

One day I stopped drinking, and OMG I had all this time on my hands. To make matters worse, I changed people, places and things…so my life seemed turned upside down. I had never lived like this. For me, boredom seemed worse than the cravings and the “triggers”.

Sober meant relearning how to live, and in the beginning that seemed overwhelming. With nothing to do, idle hands were truly the devil’s tools. I recieved great advice from many folks here, and part of that advice was to keep busy. If I filled my day with things to do, I wasnt sitting around dwelling in my thoughts.

I set about writing a list. It was exhaustive. It included fun things, chores, wish lists. It was litterally pages.

On my days off I cooked 3 meals a day. All from scratch. I went to the grocery before breakfast, picked up what I needed for breakfast went home and cooked. I would do the same for the other 2 meals. Inefficient going to the store 3 times a day? Maybe, but I was so use to drinking all day when I wasnt working, I had to do something.

In between meals, I cleaned, repaired my house, walked, learned new skills. Just to keep myself busy.

I dedicated 2 hours a day (including after work as well) to research. I read books, magazines, anything that had to do with alcoholism.

Simply put, I had to refill the void in my life that alcohol was wasting.

As brought up years ago on here, “chores wont get you sober”. While, I do agree that just being busy wont get you sober…it did give me something else. It finally showed me what I could accomplish with 24 hours in a day. It gave me a sense of a accomplishment each and every day. A sense of pride I had never felt in my personal life. It started me down the road of re-learning how to live. It brought back a disciplined life I had once lived when I was in the service.

Most importantly, it kept me from drinking and gave my mind time to start the healing process. I swore off AA when I got here. Those chores, those lists, those extremly busy days gave my mind enough time to realize, that my best thinking kept an alcoholic. 90 days after I quit drinking I waltzed into a meeting.

There is something else that happened. I can honestly say, that today…I dont experience boredom. I enjoy my free time, I enjoy peace and quite, I enjoy home repairs, chores, cleaning the bathroom. On a day that I have nothing planned, I can easily keep myself entertained. Something I could never do before.

Stay sober!

61 Likes

Amen to that! Boredom is something to address. Thanks for sharing this, @Thirdmonkey

3 Likes

I LOVE this post! Well done and well said!

2 Likes

I love this! I think you found what works for you, and that is HUGE.

2 Likes

Man this is awesome. I think this is my favorite “to the relapser” yet, thanks so much for posting.

I’m in the middle of one of those “stay busy to stay sober” days myself, running around doing chores and truly enjoying all the time I have now.

This one really resonated with me. Thank you :+1: :heart:

4 Likes

When I first got here, it was talked about a lot…then went away in lieu of other parts of sobriety. Boredom was just something on my mind. I dont normally have Thursdays off and I am already exhausted from everything I have done today…and my list is growing!

1 Like

Great honest humble share Thankyou :pray:

1 Like

Thank you for that. I also feel the things I have to do at home, I like to do them (more). Slowly but steadily. Making things on my own where in drinking times I would have said that I don’t have time for that. :see_no_evil: I feel less boredom now being sober than hanging drunk on the couch each and every night to come.

3 Likes

What a great post Scott, thanks so much. I remember that same feeling first when I quit smoking so long ago and again after I quit drinking…all that free time! Who knew drinking and smoking were so time consuming, obviously not me.

Finding and participating in new ways of being, a new lifestyle, new hobbies, was certainly instrumental in keeping my body and mind occupied and busy and to help create new healthier habits.

Anyway…thanks for such a thoughtful post…gives me lots to think about.

4 Likes

Thanks for this post my friend… Really comes at the right time for me somehow… :slightly_smiling_face::pray:

2 Likes

It truely is an amazing feeling to have that peace tranquility and freedom to enjoy our lives a way that we never were able to achieve in active addiction. Learning to live again a great topic! like the BB says to live happy joyous and free. Today im able to accept the pain, of whats all going wrong, all the death and destruction in the world, pain i feel in my joints, lets me know i can still feel, im alive and dont need anything to numb that pain. To appreciate what the struggles and triumphs prove about the human spirit. Great share thank you for your insight. :grinning::+1:

2 Likes

I’m being lazy for you today, Scott! I may go wash my car this pm. Again, thanks so much for posting this. Some days are easier than others, and on the harder days, I just need to remember that tomorrow will be a different day. Hope you and Ms. Monkey have a fantastic Thursday!

3 Likes

She is working (from home). So true challenge is not bugging her. I am fixing the molding over her garage door…little tricky because of the curve…but needed

3 Likes

You hit the nail right on the head. One of the main reasons why I decided to volunteer on the deployment I’m on was to keep myself busy. Busy I have been and it helped me out so much and I’ve made so many connections.
I said “Yes” to every task that was within my capabilities to complete. I travelled all over this country from North to South, East to West on various missions. I learned new skills and refined myself both Physically and Mentally. I can say I’ve learned to respect Religion as well.
Thank you for your wonderful post. It reminds me why I’m doing what I’m doing.

4 Likes

‘…relearning how to live…’

Wise words @Thirdmonkey. I’d been drinking for so long, it was nearly a case of ‘learning how to live’, so ingrained was the mix of drink, coke and cigarettes.
The damage we unwittingly do, trying to hide from ourselves - then one day clarity arrives and you think what the fuck was I doing.
Long may we all stay baffled - stay busy!

3 Likes

It kept me from drinking and gave my mind time to start the healing process… I like that a lot and isn’t the very true.im 56 days sober and start my new job Monday and excited and nervous at the same time it will be my first job ever at 30 years old that im going into society completely sober no maintaince no crutch just naked to the world but its time to introduce myself lol and keeping busy is gonna help add to my day with work . Good share thank u

3 Likes

I took a promotion roughly 4 months after I got sober. I had done that exact job 3 years earlier, this time no crutch.

Expect bad days, frazzled nerves, temptations and urges. I do not say this to scare you, just be ready and have a plan. There were many days, I took a bathroom break, jumped on TS and vented. My co workers that I had serious health issues because I was in the bathroom so much…lol. The point of all this: you will make it through sober! And we will be here if you need us!

2 Likes

Just dawned on me. The stories I talk about from when I was in the service all have to do when I volunteered for something…that meant I couldn’t drink. I fixed roads, built houses, repaired churches and hospitals…wish I would have made that connection 20 years ago!

4 Likes

I’ll make sure to do right by you, bro ^.^

1 Like

Thank you.
Your presence here on TS makes a difference.
I see it all the time.
Your words affect people.
Your words help people.
Your words create positive action in others.

I know you struggle at times, and know you keep part of yourself quiet (which we all do, and should do), but the parts of you that you share are truly valuable.

You make a difference… Here and in your physical world.
The life you have crafted is inspirational, and something you must be proud of.

Go well.
:+1:

6 Likes