Today is my day to get sober

Today is the day I’m making a change. My hair is falling out, my eyes get puffy, I’m itchy, I have no appetite, etc etc …all pointing to more serious diseases if I don’t stop what I’m doing IMMEDIATELY! I have two kids I need to live for, and who deserve better.

I don’t know, I am just hoping this can be a helpful tool for me to keep the willpower and be done FOR REAL!

10 Likes

Welcome Anne. This has been a great tool for me and others here for my sober journey. The support here has been incredible for me.
Have a good read around. We always have room for more. It was impossible for me to fight this battle alone.

Here are two good threads to start:

3 Likes

Welcome!

This forum saved me, as it has others. I’ve tried to get sober alone before and I just couldn’t make it work because I was only removing the drink, but I learned through the pages here that it takes a lot more than just losing the bottle, it takes change, real change. It really is a group effort!

Welcome to the group!

4 Likes

Welcome. I’m 6 weeks alcohol free now and noticed better skin less puffiness glossier hair and weight loss. All the things you spoke about. It’s really worth it and you will feel so much better in all ways possible.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and to the first day of your new life. What do you think you need in order to stay sober? And probably more specific, what are you hoping you might gain here? I ask because if you have some specifics in mind, you will know if it’s helpful. There’s lots of info, some great threads to make connections, and a daily thread to check in–as many times as you’d like/need in order to find support when you’re feeling weak.

Just remember, you deserve better too. When you take care of yourself and make sure your needs are being met, your kids automatically benefit because you are feeling better and able to be there for them.

Again, welcome, and definitely recommend checking out the links @Dazercat suggested. Best of luck. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Im 17 days in now and i was were you werecnot that long ago ,its been a struggle a real struggle but first i had to get honest with myself ,no more lying, that i could control the drinking if i only had a treat ,i was depressed suicidal my son hated me i hated me ,but 17 days on and i feel good ,i finally feel ive turned a corner and thats because ive admitted im a alcoholic, i can never drink again and do you know what that realisation has freed me ,im no longer saying oh its just a half bottle no one will know i will stop tomorrow and do it once a week like i use to ,no they days are gone ,and im hoping that the resolve and resources i have within this forum and the friends ive met from all over the world will keep me focused on a future without alcohol, the ads make it look all glossy and fun the reality is it is not theres so much suffering and pain that alcohol brings into peoples lifes just remember that and think once you get over this hard part you can find other more positive things to fill your days ,i once did i wasnt always like this but once it gets hold its hard to shake off ,but you can do it ,i never thought i would now here i am happy to be waking up each day not counting down the hours till the shop opens

5 Likes

Welcome to the community and to your sobriety! You can live the best life alcohol free!

1 Like

Welcome! You are a strong mama!!

Any withdrawal symptoms you have will pass (chocolate & Ginger ale may help).

I too am a mom and an alcoholic and it is a struggle that I tried to balance for the longest time till I said I was finally done with the drinking.

This forum has some really amazing people here that love to offer support and words of encouragement. I hope you visit and read often. It has helped me tremendously!

1 Like

Thank you all for responding. I found myself bawling my eyes out just reading your comments. I haven’t talked to anyone about this except one person, and now you guys. I am just really hoping for encouragement, accountability, just people to talk to who are like me, and it’s easier for me to do it in this online format instead of in person, for now, because I’m scared, nervous, embarrassed. I just want to get better, be better, and stick to it! I don’t want to die

3 Likes

You’re in the right place, friend :revolving_hearts: welcome. This community is amazing and so supportive. When I first joined, I spent hours and hours reading through many threads and posts. It helped me to know I’m not alone and that other people struggle with the disease of alcoholism too.
I’m so happy you’re here. It takes courage to do what you’re doing! And you CAN do this! But it’s also going to take commitment, determination and daily action. No matter what, just don’t drink today. Take it one day at a time. And love, acknowledge and thank yourself for making this choice to be and do and become better :blush: you are worthy of love, happiness, joy and peace, and sobriety can help deliver you a life full of these things. I see sobriety as a gift and it brings so many gifts into my life! I’m very grateful for it. So, it comes first. I use the search bar to find topics/ threads that I can learn from. I wish you all the best @Annedizzle

1 Like