Tomorrow man theory

I read this somewhere, can’t remember but it may have been here. But I heard it again, kinda the same way, in rehab. And it definitely helps me to read it every so often. I figured maybe someone, especially the newer people here, might take something from it.

“The Tomorrow Man theory. It’s pretty basic. Today, right here, you are who you are. Tomorrow, you will be who you will be. Each and every night, we lie down to die, and each morning we arise, reborn. Now, those who are in good spirits, with strong mental health, they look out for their Tomorrow Man. They eat right today, they drink right today, they go to sleep early today–all so that Tomorrow Man, when he awakes in his bed reborn as Today Man, thanks Yesterday Man. He looks upon him fondly as a child might a good parent. He knows that someone–himself–was looking out for him. He feels cared for, and respected. Loved, in a word. And now he has a legacy to pass on to his subsequent selves…. But those who are in a bad way, with poor mental health, they constantly leave these messes for Tomorrow Man to clean up. They eat whatever the hell they want, drink like the night will never end, and then fall asleep to forget. They don’t respect Tomorrow Man because they don’t think through the fact that Tomorrow Man will be them. So then they wake up, new Today Man, groaning at the disrespect Yesterday Man showed them. Wondering why does that guy–myself–keep punishing me? But they never learn and instead come to settle for that behavior, eventually learning to ask and expect nothing of themselves. They pass along these same bad habits tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow, and it becomes psychologically genetic, like a curse.

Take care of yourselves ODAAT. :v::green_heart:

48 Likes

I had to copy that to my notes. Thanks for a great life lesson. That is so true.
I’m sharing with my son also.

4 Likes

I really like this!! Thanks man :pray::heart::people_hugging:

2 Likes

Love it! Tomorrow woman, I want the best for her :blush:

5 Likes

My apologies. Where are my manners. :grin:

2 Likes

Potato potahto :crazy_face:

1 Like

Nice :+1: really like this.

3 Likes

Love it! A whole new spin on Nowhere Man….:notes::notes:

3 Likes

Love this :heart: Bookmarked X

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing Joe – WOW - need to print out and remind myself to not only look out for me today but keep my tomorrow self in mind as only i can help her.

Again- THANK YOU for this!

5 Likes

At its core very simple and true and makes me realise how much I can complicate things for myself tomorrow by what I do today, love it

3 Likes

I absolutely love this!! It’s part of my reframing of sobriety as showing how I love and respect myself. We wouldn’t let another steal our tomorrow, so let’s not do it to ourselves!

3 Likes

Exactly right

2 Likes

Love this Joe :heart::blush:

2 Likes

Love this!!
Just reading it makes so much sense.
I needed a reminder of this.
Thank you :hugs:

1 Like

So simple yet easily overlooked. Bookmarked! Thank you, I will remember this. :blush::green_heart:

2 Likes

I really like this Thanks For the share

1 Like

I know. I always forget about it. And then every so often I happen upon it, and I’m like shit that’s right don’t forget to thank yourself for behaving yesterday. :grin:. I really wish I could take credit for writing it originally. :roll_eyes::grin:

3 Likes

I love this. Thanks for posting

2 Likes

I read this with chocolat in my mouth…
Taste different now :rofl:

But I totally get what you have wrote and bookmarked it! Thank you!

4 Likes