Toxic Shame

Just by accident I discovered this amazing book called Healing the Shame That Binds You by John Bradshaw (free pdf available on Library Genesis) and it’s really amazing! I can’t put it down. It discusses toxic shame and how destructive it can be and how it basically fuels all addictions and mental health problems. I’m only at the beginning of the book but I read some reviews and it apparently offers a lot of solutions to deal with the problem of toxic shame as well. I’m uploading a screenshot of the part on addiction that I just started reading and it really applies to my alcohol addiction. I hope someone else can find it useful as well!

7 Likes

Thank you @Fishy xx

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

Hi @Fishy good to see you

Thanks for the reference @Fishy. I have this bookmarked

I read a book on shame and it was very enlightening. I had conversations with my Mom that had taken a lifetime to get to. Mine was

Hi @Melrm, thanks! I don’t have enough time to check the forum every day, but I’m still happily sober (90 days today, yay!) and working on my mental health issues, so when I come across something that I feel could be helpful for others I stop by hehe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@LeilaBird thanks! Bradshaw also mentions codependency in his book, this definitely looks interesting, thanks for the tip!
Isn’t it amazing how much help is out there once you start looking for it? I began reading everything obsessively and it’s really really helpful. Reminds me why I loved reading before I gave up most of my hobbies and replaced them with drinking. Ha! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, reading and hobbies are the best. Learning, improving our minds and giving us goals. Way better than just blocking everything out.

Congratulations on 90 days by the way! That is great!
:smile: :tada:

2 Likes

Excellent reading, and you can find some really helpful YouTube videos of John Bradshaw on addiction etc

1 Like