Triggers / cycles?

Hi everyone!

I’m new here. I started my sober journey back in November and had a few relapses but it has been way better.

I’m 39, a part time single mom (50-50 arrangement with the father)

I’ve always been a drinker however the past year has been rough and I found myself drinking for more then “relaxation”

Since I’ve started quitting I noticed that when I’m alone, when my daughter leaves, I sink in. Also, PMS and first day of my period are the hardest. Any cues, tips & tricks not to succumb to “release” relapse?

6 Likes

Yes…break your routine. I’m 100% positive that you have one. We all do.

Maybe do something that you have never done before, like a dance class, or painting class, or my personal favorite…martial arts classes. Something you have said “someday I’d like to try that”…but could never seem to find the time.

I can attest to the power of breaking the routine, and it has made all the difference in successfully attaining and maintaining my sobriety.

3 Likes

Welcome Gabrielle
Have a good read around here. This place has been a great place for me to get support in my sobriety. Addiction is too tough to go it alone. We are stronger in numbers. And we’re worth it.
:pray:t2::heart:

Here are two good threads to start:

4 Likes

Maybe can try getting out in nature to enjoy some freah air get a little exercise, always helps me when im kind of a little up tight, to just get moving a bit clear my mind and enjoy the beauty out in the sun or under the stars.

1 Like

Small things help me distract myself! Putting on a funny sitcom even in the backround will make me laugh when I dont realize it. Not sure if you are a reader, but burying my head in a book has passed time when I thought about drinking or using.

1 Like

Maybe you want to join us.

Welcome to the forum :innocent:

4 Likes

First of all, you can do this! I just want you to know that.
From 1 woman/mother to other, we got this. You brought life into this world, and that’s a MIRACLE!
What I do is clean what I dont want to clean/ take care of when kids are around. Sometimes I just veg and read. We can do this!!

3 Likes

Watching my two daughters leaving on the Sunday evening was such a problem for me in September that I’ve re-started to drink a bit (weed was my doc but as I live in the countryside it’s not as easy to find as alcohol) to cope my feelings. Only sunday and monday nights when the feelings were too hard.
I quit alcohol years ago and even my divorce didn’t bring me on this alcohol/weed road, so…I ​ended up here to find help…

Now I’m focused on those moments when they leave, I block my mind, often put a videogame to pass that time of vulnerability, or music that would break walls.
I don’t know what would be good for you to do, you gotta find it, new things or things that keep you focused. Just don’t stay on the couch, doing nothing but ruminating, as I did.

3 Likes

Please pm me, I’m asleep (hopefully) till early am

1 Like

Oh! Yes! I started my perimenopauseand just started hormones. My period this month is way less intense. I will be joining, thanks!!

2 Likes

How do I pm? (Thanks for the offer!)

Im still discovering how this app works :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You click on the member’s username…

And then select nessage…

Keep in mind that for new members, you need first be granted the ability to message other members. That is done thru ‘gaining trust level’…by interacting here, posting, liking, reading.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My addiction is Marijuana. And I just caved in tonight and smoked because of my period. My cramps are absolutely terrible and weed always makes them feel better. So although I don’t regret relapsing tonight, I also still want to continue not smoking after today. I just don’t know what I’ll do once my period comes again next month. :slightly_frowning_face: My first 2 days are the worst.