Truth and Tough Love #2

Funny about that isn’t it. You mean folks aren’t begging to be mods? They have no idea what they are missing!! :wink:

2 Likes

Ha ha, no!
But I’d go with the committee idea. Ruled by the people for the people. :fist:

1 Like

I’d be willing to consider being on a flag committee or something like you mentioned, however I post a lot of memes so I don’t know if others would agree :joy:

Honestly I would do it, and I would do it objectively if given the responsibility (keep your comments to yourselves), however I think it would probably rub a lot of people the wrong way, and therefore not good for the forum overall.

2 Likes

To be fair, it didn’t really bash organised religion. Just said wasn’t looking for religion in the answer. And a variety of views were given in response, including challenging the idea that religion should be discounted. It was all pretty respectful, hence no flags I guess 🤷

3 Likes

Let’s swing this over to the new thread.

Know enough to hesitate at accepting! :rofl:

That’s generous, @Englishd. I bowed out before knowing, during the work week especially, I likely can’t give the forum the attention it deserves.

It would surely be a less daunting task with enough active mods to cover all the times. That might include picking up another to be around for the active Europe times.

2 Likes

I think you would be a great mod too tbh.

5 Likes

I have been working on @siand for mod for awhile now.

5 Likes

Agree with @siand for esteemed overlord.

2 Likes

Ah, the smart people. Damn, I got freakin’ hoodwinked again.

1 Like

Maybe a rolling committee! 3 months. Then everyone who wants to can have a go and get a taste of what it’s like to have to deal with it.
I would have a go, but I wouldn’t like to do it full time. I don’t think I could commit to it.

I did agree to my name being put in the ring last time, I’d be up for it. Would have to set some boundaries about how much time to spend on it, and as per the other thread I think it would benefit from a few more people too!

9 Likes

The hardest thing you have ever done is always past tense.

99% of the time, 99% of the hard work has already been done. Dont believe me? Listen to your own mind and body. Physically tired? Mentally exhausted? Those feelings dont come from nowhere -those are signs that you have been working hard. Those are signs that you are almost there. If you give up at the last 1%, you throw away the whole 100%. No-one can tell you how hard that 99% was or just how difficult that last 1% will be but one things for sure, it’s nowhere near as hard as it’s going to be if you go back to 0%. Keep going.

10 Likes

If I had been told 230ish days ago that relapse is s part of recovery I would have used that as an excuse to use again, overdosed and not be here now. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Recovery is not just putting down the drink. Or stopping using.
Recovery should be something we spend time on.
Addictions played a major part in our live so recovery should take over where addiction used to be.
At first it should be the first and foremost thing in our lives.
And, be prepared to try anything! Don’t turn something away just because there’s something about it we don’t like.
Especially if we are struggling to string serious sober time together.
Something isn’t working if you keep resetting!

12 Likes

If you feel okay only when life is happy and easy-breezy-beautiful Cover-Girl, then guess what? You are not free. You are the prisoner of your own indulgences, enslaved by your own intolerance, crippled by your own emotional weakness. You will constantly feel a need for some external comfort or validation that may or may not ever come.

11 Likes

Taking offense to what others say is a sign of weak internal fortitude. Let it go. Just let it roll off your skin. Being offended is a choice.

Someone says to you that your kid is stupid? “Well, that makes sense. He is part me, after all.”

Someone says that your wife is fat? “Yeah, ever since the twin pregnancy she’s struggled to get it off. Shes always trying to improve herself. That’s what I love about her.”

You dont have to let it affect you. Was it messed up for that person to say something like that to you? Yeah, it was. But, you can control what you do with it.

2 Likes

I dunno man…folks can say whatever they want about me, but call my wife fat or my kid stupid you had better have a doctor’s note explaining you have tourette’s, otherwise I am going to give you a painful lesson in manners.

8 Likes

Not saying that those wrathful thoughts don’t cross my mind. Wrath is a deadly sin for a reason, it feels good. But isn’t in the teachings of Christ to ensure that others follow our values through threats of violence.
Forgiveness isn’t condoning the behavior of others. It’s recognizing that holding resentment isn’t going to be good for me. I’m choosing to let it go for my own well being. It’s certainly not easy to put into practice.
Once I try to control others with my power, whether intellectual or physical, I’m probably not taking the next right step. Even if one would never would use violence in that situation, advocating for it (even in jest) can move others to internalizing those thoughts.
I’m an advocate of speaking softly and carrying a big stick. But I’m not swinging it until I see someone else take a shot first. I don’t believe that words ever constitute that response.

7 Likes