Truth and Tough Love #3

Then stop making people drink, ya jerk.

10 Likes

I like where you’re coming from.
Every time somebody has asked me “damn how do you do that?” I just say practice.
There is no replacement, there is no shortcut, there are no “get good quick!” secrets.
There is no such thing as “talent”, only hard earned skill. So stopping wishing you were better and go get better!
Speaking of, time to practice my drum rudiments

7 Likes

If you’d like to rid yourself of this resentment you should read page 552 of the big book.

7 Likes

Well you did come to the truth and tough love thread to whine about job postings so I’m not entirely sure what you expected. Especially since if you read this thread you’d see that it’s based on my own personal experience, which is getting sober in AA.

6 Likes

He was just offering a suggestion to help you out. This thread and site are about sobriety, not someone’s interpretation of a job posting.

4 Likes

Earlier sobriety can make people on edge and angry. I’m not sure why you feel the need to direct that at Derek who only offered you a suggestion.

Your job posting rant would have been better placed here Conglomerated List of "Things that can F*ck right off*

Hope you have a nice day and can find a healthy way to vent some of your anger

12 Likes

this place is so fucking pointless

You’ve replied with angry words to nearly everyone who has reached out to you. That level of hostility maybe can’t be addressed in a forum like this. We understand it, many of us have felt it

Are you willing to take responsibility for dealing with your anger?

12 Likes

And yet here you are. I have felt that kind of anger, frustration, pointless feeling. Might be time to ask yourself why you’re here. Sure, this forum has a lot that doesn’t help me personally. But I find what I benefit from and have made what I think are life long friends. It’s the connection I was looking for with people who know what it’s like to deal with addiction. Maybe you’re here for connection and just not finding it. I hope you keep trying.

10 Likes

i’m going to chug a pint of vodka and jump off a bridge, fuck all of you

1 Like

Dude what’s going on that makes you so fucking mad? You’re putting on a pretty entertaining show here but I’m not sure it’s helping you… Why not create your own thread like every second new person on here and vent away? Might bring you some relief. Then maybe afterwards you’re open to take sth in. Which you’re not now. So, see you later!

6 Likes

A reminder of the forum rules and guidelines, please acquaint yourself with them before you participate further, if you choose to do so.

4 Likes

Anyways. The forum gonna forum.

What I’ve found in both my using days and my sobriety is that I’m generally going to find what I’m looking for.

When I was using that meant I was looking for a reason to be angry, sad, or whatever I could be to justify my continued using and I would go out there and find it. Every damn time.

In recovery I have been looking for gratitude, hope and acceptance and when I am specifically looking for that it’s what I’ve found.

However, if I wake up in a shitty mood and I am just looking for things to piss me off that’s also exactly what I will find.

If you are determined to find negative things don’t be surprised if your life sucks. If you are determined to find the good things in life don’t be surprised that your life gets better. No matter what mood I’m in it’s important for me to remember I chose this mood.

22 Likes

I agree… To a point. Some days are just bad days. And it is OK to have negative emotions.

Like in the depths of depression it is super hard to find positives. But, in my experience at least, there is usually a bit of peace to be found by accepting things for what they are and letting them pass.

Can also definitely relate to looking for things to piss me off when I’m in a bad mood, although usually it’s only with hindsight that I realise that’s what I was doing :see_no_evil:

13 Likes

That’s true.

I think there’s an interesting nuance to this. The problem isn’t so much having a bad day or having rough feelings at a particular moment. The problem is the object of the “badness”. There are lots of objects and situations I can be frustrated with (the broken freezer in my basement being one of them), but if I make the “badness” about the person (blaming myself for buying a second hand freezer, I “should have known better”, and maybe - crazy! - blaming my wife for not stopping me [even typing this now I think that’s crazy, but there it is]) instead of the object (the freezer, which is broken but which is physical & fixable: it’s not about blame, it’s just about acknowledging understandable frustration, then taking the next constructive step with the freezer), then I get in trouble.

Where we get in trouble is where we project responsibility onto other people, rather than taking responsibility in and for ourselves. Having bad days is fine! But if I’m responsible then I use emotional techniques to help myself “ride that wave”. It’s not about other people; it’s about me taking ownership of my experience.

8 Likes

I remember my earliest days here. Autumn, my very first forum friend pointed out to me that fir many their sickness and brokenness manifests itself as anger. I try to remember this when responding to those who react with hostility to every offerred hand. They aren’t really angry. They are lost and afraid. They are “fear biters”.

I also remind myself that some will ultimately be consumed by their addiction, regardless of how many outstretched hands are offered.

15 Likes

I describe this as "I see what I look at ".

7 Likes

Yeah…That is very true if you just wake up in the morning looking for a reason to be angry the world will be more than happy to give you one…Its a vicious cycle of negative energy.

9 Likes

Every time I think I want to judge or criticize someone for being drunk I always have to remember that used to be me and people probably said the same thing about me.

All alcoholics live in glass houses so we probably shouldn’t throw rocks

20 Likes

I wonder if all the lies I told during active addiction were because I wanted other people to believe it or if I wanted myself to believe it?

Always telling people how hard I was trying or all these “realizations” I had. Like I know now it was all bullshit, but I wonder if I did then.

I wonder if other people could see my bullshit as easily as I can see peoples now? I’m guessing yes.

10 Likes