:rofl: well, yer stuffed then ainā€™t ya. Your already a dick! :rofl:

2 Likes

@anon24965225

Youā€™ll get some tough love here if you need it :grinning::ok_hand:

1 Like

Thought this meme might be fitting @Englishd

17 Likes

10 Likes

Man, I remember my first few months of sobriety. Technically homeless, crashing on a couch in a disgusting apartment with people in active addiction. I had no money, no food, a bag full of clothes. I often didnā€™t know where, or even when, I might eat again. Shit was pretty bleak then. I could have picked up and used pretty much any day for about the first 100 days.

So here I am now, over 2 years later, reading posts about people drinking over some dumb shit. Sure things arenā€™t great now, even scary, but to act like this is the end of the world??? Cā€™mon. Yā€™all are addicts and alcoholics. This canā€™t possibly be the scariest thing youā€™ve been through. Iā€™d venture a bet that plenty of you have been through worse shit while sober. Donā€™t let your disease tell you this is a good excuse to pick up.

24 Likes

Itā€™s a good time for taking inventory. After a week of preparing my department to stay home I finally had a moment to realize so was I. It made me jumpy. But why? What the heck am I really afraid of?

So I wrote it out. For me, I realized it was the thought of hanging out on my own. I did a lot of damage that way.

Thatā€™s bullsā€“t though. Iā€™m not alone and I got better sā€“t to do than drink now. I know the deal and if I forget, I still have this forum and a sponsor or others I can call.

Nothing has really changed in the grand scheme other than where Iā€™m sitting. If Iā€™m angry plans have to change, wellā€¦ gotta let that go! Big deal. Plans change. Different isnā€™t bad, itā€™s just different.

Nothing to drink over and this too shall pass.

10 Likes

Just think back to your last month drinking. I donā€™t know about you, but my final month was terrifying. Homeless (Pittsburgh this time), I had an overdose, daily suicidal thoughts, multiple withdrawals. That shit was scary.

5 Likes

Yep. And seeing it on paper again, that that last month is what Iā€™m really afraid of. I was completely isolating and ready to give up, not caring if I lived or died anymore.

Seeing it written though I realized that isnā€™t reality anymore. Sobriety allowed me to be more prepared, practically and personally, than I ever would be drinking. Sobriety taught me how to write this down and acknowledge it. To accept, take a breath, and carry on.

Instead of focusing on the worst, sticking to what awesome I can still find sober as sober folks have taught me.

6 Likes

Truth and Tough Love. I dont know if there is any love in here but Iā€™m going to let some truth rip in t minus 3ā€¦ 2ā€¦1

ā€œBe selfishā€. Two words. Seem harmless enough. In fact, they seem quite comforting, dont they? ā€œNo darling, you be selfish, you take care of you - You come firstā€

Are you kidding me? Are you actuallyā€¦kidding me? You dont really believe this shit do you? How many more times are you going to relapse before you figure out that ā€œBeing selfishā€ doesnt work?

Be selfish - The very behaviour that makes addicts what they are. Selfish.

Be Selfish - The very advice that goes entirely against the whole notion of a ā€œhigher powerā€

Be Selfish and focus on you - Thatā€™s all youā€™ve ever fucking done mate. Thatā€™s why youā€™re in the shit-show youā€™re in.

Be selfish - Yeah dont worry about what other people think. All the matters is what you think. Be selfish - said no-one ever to the train driver with 300 people on board as he decides to derail the train and hit a platform full of peopleā€¦ in order to read his newspaper.

Be selfish - Dont worry about listening to the ones that love you, stuck by you and put up with your crap for so long. You didnt listen to them before; why should you listen now?

Be Selfishā€¦ what the fuck kind of advise is that to someone who wants to make a change from being selfish?

Jesusā€¦fucking christ.

9 Likes

I suspect what a lot of people mean when they say ā€œBe selfish, focus on youā€ in this context is ā€œDonā€™t let other peopleā€™s issues distract you from recovery.ā€ A reminder to set boundaries so that youā€™re dealing with your own crap.

Iā€™ve seen some people add to this in the direction of ā€œBe selfish, do what you want to do,ā€ which I think is much less helpful, for the reasons you describe.

I agree that wording it as ā€œbe selfishā€ carries ambiguities and can be problematic. As long as context makes it clear, it doesnā€™t bother me though.

7 Likes

Am I the only one that sees these two sentences as different entirely?

1 Like

In the way that one can not ā€œlet other peopleā€™s issues distract youā€¦ā€ Without out being a total selfish shit yes?
I can think about other people but not let their issues rent space in my head.
Or I can think only of myself in every thing I do. Not caring about anyone elses feelings at all in a selfish way

3 Likes

If was struggling to stay sober and I had a partner that started asking for rides to work way across town when she normally takes the bus, but I donā€™t go that direction and it takes away the slot of time I need for recovery activities like meeting or therapy or whatever else, that would be a case where this could potentially apply. Me addressing my own issues so I can stop causing more damage probably helps her more than sugar-coating her life with me with favours here and there. Transportation to work is her responsibility (which I can help with or not), and staying sober and fixing what makes me act like a dick is mine (which she can help with or not).

I mean, itā€™s just a hypothetical situation and Iā€™m not pretending itā€™s the answer to every scenario, but I hope my point comes across.

5 Likes

I personally used the ā€œbe selfishā€ mantra during months 2 and 3. Luckily my husband wanted to help me in any way he could, so when I needed to be in that mode, I was very clear about why, and he was supportive.

Go see a live band, that my husband really likes, in a pub? Sorry, Iā€™m going to be selfish and not put myself in a situation that Iā€™m scared about.

My thoughts; mood, emotions are all over the place ā€¦ I canā€™t even think about what to make for dinnerā€¦ until further notice. Do you mind making something or getting take out?

Iā€™m going to take a bath now, instead of watching the movie with you. Ok?

I need to be on my own right now. Ok?

That kind of thing. I guess it depends on how far someone interprets and takes the ā€œbe selfishā€ guidance, and if it hurts anyone. For me, itā€™s an approach that worked/works for me.

Just my two cents. I have no idea how people with kids cope with demands on them in the early months. Kudos to them.

11 Likes

An apology without change is manipulation.

14 Likes

Agreed.

Fucking damn right!

1 Like

Feeling sorry and being sorry are different things. I would always apologize for my bullshit and relapses, then Iā€™d go do the same thing over and over. So was I actually sorry? Nope. Basically the apology was nothing more than permission to go out and do it again. Hence the manipulation.

3 Likes

Right. Are they sorry because you are upset with them, or are the sorry that they upset you? Took me a while to grasp this nuance, but once I did, my apologies became more sincere, and less frequent due to the fact that a more considerate me was more aware of how my words and actions affected others.

7 Likes

Truth can be tough to love.

Sometimes you donā€™t need to love itā€¦ Just be friends with it so that it can help you as all good friends do.

8 Likes