Truth and Tough Love #3

When I got out of my first rehab my girlfriend at the time not only stayed with me, but actually let me move in with her. And rather than be grateful that I had a place to stay and a person who loved me, I was resentful because she didn’t act exactly the way I wanted her to. By all accounts she should have dumped my ass and moved on with her life. Instead she showed me compassion and I shit all over it.

#ungratefulasshole.

4 Likes

If only @Englishd hadn’t got sober I wouldn’t be an alcoholic.
Years ago he said to me “don’t do what i do. Whatever you see me doing, do the opposite and you’ll be ok”.
So i did.
Thanks Derek

3 Likes

Being sober is not easy, nor is it that hard… It takes a firm decision, determination and dutiful action. It’s about forgoing immediate pleasure in exchange for long term self respect, and self-love. Once you’ve made the decision, it takes considered & courageous action, each and every day. It’s choosing what is in your own best interest. It’s not a punishment. It is a loving, kind choice … to be better and do better, everyday. It’s about winning the war against your own mind/ego. In order to love ourselves, we need to discipline our behaviour. Not in some harsh, critical way, but in a loving and caring way. It’s about taking ownership and responsibility for our lives and our happiness. Yes this is often easier said then done, but we’ve got to try. That’s where sobriety and recovery start. A little effort will go a long way. Believe in yourself, set some goals, establish some boundaries and move forward with guts and determination :slight_smile:

24 Likes

This is great. Thank you. Bookmarking! :pray:

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself Emc! :facepunch:

3 Likes

GEOFF!!! You’re back!! Welcome home. We have missed you.

1 Like

Well thanks.
How have you been?

Well, there have been many highs, as well as some lows, but such is life. Happy to report that I am 1 year sober today! How about yourself? What have you been up to while on your hiatus? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

One year today!
Congratulations. You know I had no doubt that you would get here don’t you?
Brilliant. I’m really pleased for you.
I’ve been busy working. This whole covid thing hasn’t really affected us. We live rural, I work on my own.
It’s just been everything else that’s changed.
Still sober, but then why wouldn’t I be? Eh?
Again, I’m glad I came back today then. I missed Menno’s year, and I’m know there are others I’ve missed as well.

4 Likes

Thanks Geoff. I am glad to hear you weren’t affected by Covid. This year has certainly been one full of challenges and changes. I am so glad we’re able to be sober during it all. Makes things worthwhile, being sober, living life on life’s terms, even if it’s hard sometimes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, what happens around us should never have an affect on our sobriety.
Not if it’s that important to us.
We deal with it sober it makes us stronger. We learn, we grow.

3 Likes

Congratulations!! One year is awesome :+1::pray::kissing_heart:

1 Like

Kick ass Geoff!!! Congratulations on a year!!!

1 Like

Congratulations on one year EMC! That is the fruit of a bunch of 24-hour wins. You’ve come so far & you made it to a wonderful milestone today!

On a personal note it’s been a blessing reading your posts here. They are reflective and thoughtful and really help unfold your experience of sobriety - like a peony blooming, one petal at a time. It’s very stimulating reading your reflections - thank you for sharing them :innocent:

5 Likes

Dam i felt your speech dude right where it hurts but so true

2 Likes

Congratulations on your year!

1 Like

Thank you so much @Matt.!! You have been a significant and very appreciated person throughout this journey of mine thus far. Your posts are always so kind and revelatory here in the forum and have helped me immensely; this is often where I’ve mustered up much of my own courage to post, having read yours. I am looking forward to laying my head on my pillow sober again tonight :blush: I hope you get there too (I have no doubt that you will xo).

2 Likes

Alright Jas. How ya doing? Thanks for the well wishes mate. But I’m sure you did that 7 months ago.
But thanks bud! :heart::joy:

Ahhhh, ha. For fucks sake!!
That’s what I get for checking when I’m half asleep!!

3 Likes

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

I’d say for the first year of my sobriety I complicated the shit out of everything. I made every situation harder than it needed to be. Always looking for meaning in things when it didn’t matter. Always asking why.

In reality sobriety is an incredibly simple thing. Find a program that works for you and don’t drink. Period.

18 Likes