Truth and tough love

For me, it’s about an extra level of privacy. I’m concerned with access to the Lounge, not the status. If I need to say something that I fear would turn newcomers off from sobriety or seeking help then I would like a safe place to say it. Or, if I need to say something about work or about particular people in the real world, or family, I’d like to be able to write it out in a place where it won’t be stumbled upon on the open internet.

5 Likes

I’m no newcomer. Been on this site for years (and been sober for years). It was surprising and disappointing when I realized I had been dropped from regular status. I know what activity level is required to maintain it but I don’t really see why that is required. Anytime you create a “select” or specialized community that only some can have access to, it is unpleasant to be kept out. I could “like” every post and post meaningless stuff daily but it wouldn’t contribute to the community.

8 Likes

9 Likes

I agree with this. I suppose losing the status is good for people who have relapsed and left the board (happened to me before) but sadly I lost my status just by going on vacation…and I feel like I’m posting like a demon yet still not getting it back.

I wonder if there is a way to distinguish different types of absences. Probably not.

2 Likes

I don’t hit the required number or new posts read. I stick to my usual threads for the most part. I didn’t even realize I wasn’t a regular for some time :rofl::joy:

4 Likes

I have a suspicion that most people’s issues with regular status actually have to do with reading quotas, not giving likes or posts.

Acorrding to the requirements it’s technically enough to give the equivalent of one like every three days. I don’t think this is enough in itself to encourage excessive or spurious likes. Again, posting in 10 different topics over 100 days is no daunting feat. A meme, a check-in, weigh in on two people’s stories, and a complaint about regular status, and you’ve already done a month and a half’s worth of the posting requirements.

Reading, on the other hand, is a much bigger investment. 12773 posts* across 500 threads. The link posted above also doesn’t mention the fact that for posts to count towards this, they have to have been created in the last 100 days. I’m not pulling this out of thin air, but inferring from the documentation for the software that this forum runs on. The reading requirements are very high and far outstrip any other effort required to maintain regular status.

*If the 12773 number was calculated based on a percentage of new posts in April '18, as I suspect, this number may be even higher now based on increased forum activity.

4 Likes

The only reason I am still a Regular is because Robin favors me over other people

9 Likes

I have no way of backing this up with any type of facts but…

7 Likes

Keeps his friends close and his enemies closer

2 Likes

Huh. Some I hadn’t noticed aren’t “Regulars” anymore really surprise me.

Pulling the numbers, @ifs may be right. Best as I can reckon from what I have, the cutoff has actually grown to ~16.6k posts read in the last 100 days? :open_mouth: That seems like a pretty dang high bar, and the cap is 20k/100 days.

Some who lost the Lounge are indeed on the edge of the line.

Righto, we now return you to your regularly scheduled truth.

2 Likes

I haven’t met a problem that drugs and alcohol couldn’t make worse.

6 Likes

Just found out that I have a warrant out for my arrest from a possession charge from 2016. Not really sure how it slipped by me considering I’ve had a few background checks done. I immediately came clean to my boss. She actually laughed bc I came right out and told her. Now I gotta plan some time to clear it up bc I’m probably gonna have to spend some time in jail. I’m blessed that I have the ability to plan for it though.

11 Likes

PM the mailing address and I’ll send you memes.

10 Likes

oh yeah, let’s go get high and drunk so I can catch some new charges Sounds like a blast lol

4 Likes

How do we know how many are in the last 100 days? My stats seem to be lifetime. At least it says 86.7k posts read…so I assume it is total for the 719 days visited (according to my stats)

Well crap. Jail? You seem so “cool” about it…unless you’re flipping out on the inside and I can’t read that from your post.

1 Like

I could think of other things I’d rather be doing, but I also accept full responsibility for my current predicament and if jail is what happens then I need to be okay with that. It may just be a night or I may get sentenced to a few months. But I’m not going to get worked up over something that I don’t know is going to happen. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous though. Nothing a little prayer can’t solve.

12 Likes

There are Users stats in the menu to the upper right. The three-bar icon next to your profile icon. You can select “quarter” which is the last three calendar months. Close enough.

And yes, m’dear, you are one who looks just below the crazy (~15k/90 days) Posts Read line. Can always go scan the daily check in thread!

1 Like

It will probably help that you can show to the courts that you’ve worked on yourself big time and gotten your life together. They may be more lenient as a result.

But then again, here I am telling a lawyer how I think the law works! :rofl:

5 Likes

A few months?! :disappointed_relieved: But! But! Your Regular Status!

10 Likes