Truth and tough love

I guess it could be labled anything. Just makes me scratch my head that it suprises us that it happens over and over. If anything, it should be expected behavior, after all, none of us are unique

5 Likes

100% is part of a process. Heck, on here we have talked about needing to hit botton, or someone isnt trully ready to quit. I just hope that my story might make someones bottom not so deep.

4 Likes

I agree, that when it comes to drugs and alchohol, none of us are unique. It is pride, ego, or hubris that is at the root of our belief that we are unique.

This was one of the major breakthroughs for my thinking, in that I realized that I may be stoic and individualistic in how I live life in many ways, when it came to booze I was a most common drunk.

2 Likes

I don’t think it IS part of the process but dammit it sure CAN be a part of many people’s story. It sure was mine.

None of us are unique so it really isn’t a shock when it happens but we shouldn’t let people think it’s expected. If that makes sense.

3 Likes

Makes perfect sense. I had to accept who and what I was, and then decide to be better. If drinking is normal, I want to be the weirdest guy around.

I wouldn’t say arrogance, I would say it’s the mental obsession at work.

5 Likes

P.S I saw your doppelganger in Venice today, he’s a gondolier, photo came out blurry.

5 Likes

He doesn’t look nearly as tired enough to be my twin lol

1 Like

Aww, sending you all a big hug

1 Like

The labels, terminology, whatever we wanna call it…doesn’t really matter. It’s semantics.

The basic problem is we think irrational thoughts, then take action based on the conclusions reached outside rationality.

At some point, we either suffer enough to question ourselves, and change. Or, we stay stuck in the endless cycle.

3 Likes

I agree with you. My point being was, it is (for me) a head scratcher why that line of thinking is so emotion evoking…its actually very typical behavior…and will continue to happen as long as this app exists.

2 Likes

We’re emotional folks. It’s a blessing because it potentially gives you a level of empathy most don’t have. It’s a curse because until we learn how to bear and process those emotions, we’re at their mercy.

1 Like

I get that too. I guess for me, when a new commer visits and goes down that path of thinking, i would rather talk to them, than about them, because it really isnt atypical behavior for an addict or alcoholic…that really was my original point.

6 Likes

If I came off as judgemental, or preachy - I apologize. Not intentional at all. Just my blowhard self adding my two bits :blush:

It’s completely normal behavior. But it’s interesting to see how many people think the same thing. You would figure at some point someone would read one of those threads and go “hmmm, maybe I can’t handle it”. I thought I could handle “just” drinking because I was arrogant. However I suppose the decision was pretty stupid too.

1 Like

You didnt, just clearifing my point. Think what you wish.

And I am sure some do. But from what we know about the addict and alcoholic mind its never going to be 100%.

2 Likes

I think I’m an opinionated poopypants, but that’s a different thread :joy:

2 Likes

No no, you are on the right thread :rofl:.

2 Likes

And extra points for using “poopypants”.

FZsB

4 Likes