Trying to get sober after 20 years

After a 20 year drinking career, I woke up in the middle of the night last night and decided that enough is enough. Thought about all of the damage I have done to m my brain, my heart, my liver, my life. Depression and anxiety are sky high and I need to make a change and kick this habit. I appreciate any suggestions and support that anyone has to offer, and I will try my best to reciprocate. Thanks all.

11 Likes

It’s a hard decision to make. I came to the same realisation as yourself 30 days ago. The one thing I can tell you is that my depression and anxiety is 110% better than when I was on the drink. Strange thing is I believed alcohol helped, at least with anxiety in social settings etc. I can categorically say that it did not help me at all. I’m not far in but give it a try see how it feels for you and good luck, it can only be a positive.

3 Likes

Best decision ever! The first days might be hard. Dont think about staying sober forever - take it one day at a time, if necessary just one hour at a time. It will get easier, i promise. You are not alone- everyone around here had its day 1. You can do it!

7 Likes

Congratulations on your decision. I agree everyone here has had their day 1s. In fact,I had so many day 1s I lost count! Until I came to TS. Community is so important. As you put together your sober plan, have a good read around, plenty of advice to be found. Search bar is easy to use.
For me, I needed to change my mindset around alcohol, learn about the true nature of addiction, have something to do when I feel cravings, engage in activities that bring me joy, and be a part of a community of people who are dealing with addictions and don’t judge.
So welcome aboard and enjoy this new chapter of your life!:pray::heart:

4 Likes

Thank you all! I really appreciate it!

3 Likes

I drank for almost 20 years straight a pint a night and then some every day of the week…Im now 1 week away from 6 months and I can tell you after these 6 months I dont know how and why i wasted all those years on living like i did. All i can tell you is once youve seen the sober life you will not wanna lose the peace that comes with it. Im 49 years old and Ive decided i will not die behind alcohol its not worth it cause it will kill you eventually

3 Likes

Becoming sober was the best decision I’ve ever made in my life. One of the difficult ones as well. It requires a lot of effort and changes in life.
But it’s absolutely doable if you make little steps. So focus on today and how to get trough it sober.
A good thread to read for you is: What's YOUR plan? and maybe you want to check in every day too. You find a special very active threat where we do so here:

Feel free to join!
In the first year of my recovery I was here every day to check in sober. It helped me to stay focussed and keep myself accountable.
Sober for a few years now and still here every day :hugs:
Because it helps! :sweat_smile:
I can’t miss my sober life, it’s good!
So welcome here and I hope seeing you around often :raising_hand_woman:

2 Likes