Two months sober - advice kindly requested!

Hi all,

Until two months ago I had been drinking heavily, 2.5/3 bottles of wine a day, all day and as a chemical detox wasn’t an option, I did a 9 day taper and have been sober since.

I’m so happy I’m not drinking and touch wood, have had no strong cravings to drink but I’m struggling with what may sound like a silly issue.

I was told by fellow AA people that I’d most likely get sugar cravings and they would eventually pass and tbh I was loving having my appetite back but I’m finding I’m proper binge eating ridiculous amounts (mainly sugar). I’m also vaping LOADS and if I’m not vaping or eating I’m mainlining tea and coffee.

The weight gain is an unwelcome side effect but I’m honestly not bothered about that. I am also feeling bleugh from overeating and vaping but I’m mainly concerned about this obsessive compulsion to be constantly sticking things in my mouth (that sounds wrong!)! Also, it’s not easing off, if anything it’s ramping up. Is it another faucet of my alcoholism? Another “ism”? Can anyone give me any tips on ways to distract or counteract these behaviours?

TIA! X

13 Likes

Congrats on your two months sober! I remember when you were around before, welcome back. There are a couple threads on here that you might be interested in reading through with lots of shares and suggestions around sugar, eating and smoking/vaping. I’ll link some here, but what you’re experiencing is definitely normal. You may be filling a hole that quitting drinking left behind and it could help to find other interests to engage in that keep your mind off these things, whether that’s moving your body, going for walks in nature, picking up knitting or art, whatever. Hope these links are helpful for you.

No more added sugar

Binge eating recovery check in

Grumpy A Holes - Quitting Nicotine

3 Likes

Thank you so much! Yes, this is not my first rodeo, well remembered! AA is helping tremendously and sobriety is definitely an easier softer option!

4 Likes

Sugar is energy and alcohol gets converted to sugars so now your body is lacking that constant supply of sugar, thus the sugar cravings and often accompanied by low energy.

My thoughts are, listen to your body and give it what it needs. Yeah, you might gain weight, but its better than drinking poison. There are healthy ways you can go to get unrefined sugars, like raw fruits and veggies.

I gave myself a pass the first year, just sort of did what I felt I needed to in order not to drink. I wouldn’t necessarily call it an “ism” problem, more like a metamorphosis in uncharted territory. You’re not drinking, and that is the most important thing, in my book. Keep on doing what works and make small adjustments all along the way.

Except for the vaping, as a former smoker turned vaper, I would always advocate kicking that habit ASAP! It’s expensive, unless and makes your teeth fall out! :grimacing:

5 Likes

Thank you and OMG one of my teeth recently cracked so yes to quitting vaping asap!! :scream:

2 Likes

And just so you know, I believe the no more added sugar thread includes ideas for natural sources of sugar and alternatives, recipes with things like dates instead of processed sugar and so on.

2 Likes

Oh no! That happened to me once while chewing on a bread roll of all things, back molar split in two! Had to get it removed.

I quit vaping 5 years ago and while it was WAY less destructive than analog smoking, it still had a large amount of nicotine wich in itself, aint too good for you. But the money saved was a HUGE benefit.

If you dont mind me asking, how did you taper your alcohol? Was it recommended from your doctor, if so was there like a recommended allowance?

1 Like

Mine cracked on an omelette :joy:. Yes, my doctor recommended it. I had a can of 4% beer every 2 hours, and pushed back the starting time by 2 hours (and dropped a can) every two days. Once I got down to 4 cans I stopped. The first 3 days were horrible (shakes, nausea, awful anxiety, sweats) but then it got easier very quickly.

1 Like

Good on you! Since I’ve been here on this forum, many have tried to taper but few had been successful at it. I’ve tried (not by doctor’s recommendation) and failed every time.

You got moxy!

Omelettes, bread… all known as tooth ruiners!! :laughing:

1 Like

Welcome! Unfortunately ive been hitting the Halloween candy lol. Trying to balance that with work8ng out more.

3 Likes

Try some food pairing to fill yourself up

For example, having a chocolate bar is just going to leave you wanting more. So you’ll end up eating another one or reaching for the cake…

Instead get a good portion of thick yoghurt, add the chocolate, maybe grate it or break it into small chunks, add some fruit or dried fruit, maybe orange or raisins, also add some cereal like bran flakes or some porridge oats… Now this is a massive bowl of food which will fill you up, but it’s way better than eating just the chocolate then reaching for more.

3 Likes

I think that people who can’t moderate alcohol also often struggle to moderate other things. Drinking and disordered eating have always been intertwined for me, but I certainly found myself leaning into binge eating when I stopped drinking. I also got crazy into internet shopping for a while. Watching shorts on social media. I felt like I was playing that arcade game where heads pop up and you have to hit them with a mallet. As soon as I addressed one thing, another thing popped up. For food, I had to focus on eating more meaningfully. If I wanted to put something in my mouth, fine, but could it be whole-wheat toast and honey? Veggie sticks and hummus? rather than sugary shit. Because it is much easier to stop eating something that isn’t super processed.

2 Likes

My aunt once joked that our family has “hand-to-mouth disease”—she was referencing drinking, smoking, and eating—all terrible vices in my family.

I definitely struggle with my eating and consuming nicotine (though I just started the patch again!). I’ve had a few sessions with a nutritionist and it was way better than I expected. She’s taught me some new things, given me super reasonable meal ideas, and we agreed that counting calories is stupid and unsustainable lol. But most of all, I’m getting enough good calories to feel less hungry and I haven’t had to sacrifice my sweet tooth. If this is possible for you, it may be worth considering!

We all self-soothe and if snacking is a good distractor for you, there may be a way to make it sustainable in terms of your health.

That said, I defer to the above advice—maybe the need for sugar will balance out, and listening to your body is always king.

Be well!

1 Like

3 years down the road and I’m only just now starting to eat a bit healthier and exercise more. For me sobriety was always the goal and everything else will fit in its place as time went by.
So yeah I’m a bit chunky now but it’s better than wasting away to nothing from alcohol, liver failure etc.
Physically round mentally sound :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. My suggestion to you is to always carry a bottle full of water with you. Whenever you feel your mouth getting dry, take a few sips. Our brain often perceives thirst as hunger and urges you to put something in your mouth. Even though it’s fun to get away from time to time and enjoy junk food (I’m currently writing this at 2 a.m. while consuming peanuts, chips and cola lol), it’s best not to make it a habit.

2 Likes