Two years sober today .... 730 Club!

My favorite change? There are a lot…but one of the best is how freakin’ GOOD I feel most of the time…as opposed to being hungover, riddled with anxiety, depressed, suicidal, embarrassed, anxious and feeling like a failure. Like night and day really.

:blush:

4 Likes

You have been a guiding light and inspiration to me since I came on here about 15 months ago…CONGRATULATIONS!!! My deepest gratitude for lighting the way :heart::pray:t2::sunrise::heart::pray:t2::sunrise:

1 Like

Amazing!!! True inspiration!

1 Like

Love this, congratulations and thank you so much for everything you have done here, you have helped me in so many ways.

:heart:

2 Likes

Congrats on two years!! :gift_heart:

1 Like

Your words are very encouraging! I, too have spent the past 30 years drinking regularly, recklessly and heavily (aside from 2 pregnancies and one 10 month period of sobriety). I really want to make a change like you did. The struggle is real.
Congratulations!!!

1 Like

Congratulations @SassyRocks and thank you so much for writing this post. What an amazing person you are​:two_hearts::purple_heart::two_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you Mo, you are inspiring as well!!

1 Like

What an inspiring post! Thank you for showing that even with a lifetime of drinking, it’s never too late to start quitting.
You put in the work and are reaping the rewards. Amazing job! :metal:t2:

1 Like

Thank you so much @LeilaBird, great to see you again!!

Thank you so much @ELY83, I always appreciate your posts as well. Keep on keepin on!

You are welcome!! I always appreciate your perspective and work here.

You ARE making that change, keep at it!! And thank you for your kind words.

Wow… Just WOW!!! Congratulations :pray:

1 Like

Wow! Amazing! I want to be able to say that too! Thats my goal and beyond!

1 Like

Sassy, you indeed do rock!!! Rockin sobriety for 2 years and making the path look a little less troublesome for those of us in the pack behind you. Keep rocking it Lady. All the best for you in the days ahead. Congratulations!!!

2 Likes

Wow that’s amazing!

I am so glad you returned to this forum, your insights and outlook on life are both down to earth and uplifting. Thank you for sharing your journey with us :heart:

3 Likes

I don’t know quite what to say…

A little over two years ago I couldn’t imagine a life without alcohol. You didn’t know how it felt to be me, to deal with what I had to deal with. I needed that drink. My only drinking problem was when I didn’t have a drink. Liters, handles, spiked white claw, I tore through so much titos. That exhale didn’t come until several doubles in.

But then it happened. A simultaneous mental breakdown and nearly killing myself and hurting others by drinking myself to over a .4 BAC, I couldn’t live with alcohol. Mentally, spiritually, and physically bankrupt.

I was told if I wanted to hang on to any part of my life, to call a substance abuse therapist asap. But I was on the verge of losing it all, so I went.

In trying to figure out treatment options, a guy came to sell me on his 10k a month sober house and rehab of choice. I did want was he was selling. But my therapist had asked me to try an AA meeting. And this guy told me I was never going to go unless he had his people take me. He would have his people call me and take me to a meeting in the city.

Fuck that noise. You don’t tell Goat he won’t and he can’t. So two years ago I went to what became my home group in the city… To show him. I was standing awkwardly, sweating bc I was still detoxing (it was a long time for me) outside looking for the entrance. The doors were locked. Hmmm. Well I did it I went and showed him, but guess the universe didn’t want me going to whatever AA was.

And then a guy walked by and asked if I was looking for a meeting. He said it was a holiday and he forgot that this place was closed. Hey buddy (goat) are you looking for a meeting? What meeting? Who me? Do I look like I needed one?

I don’t know why but I said yes and he took me to the 46th st club house where someone who had nothing common with me (gay, sex worker, drug user, drug dealer, HIV positive, and homeless at one point) described the feelings inside me. I didn’t understand how, but he described that big fucking hole inside me. I was too mocused to really think… but I went to what became my HG that next day and the day after that and the day after that. I don’t know why I went back, to get out of trouble, sure. But it was more than that.

So I sat in Goats chair in the corner and people were afraid to talk to me bc I didn’t look so hot or friendly. There is a running joke that everyone thought I wasn’t going to stick around bc I looked so rough and didn’t talk to anyone. But I kept coming back and got sober through my ass. Every day for the first 500 plus days my ass was in a chair. The program got me before I ever got the program.

I can’t tell you you that I understand any of what has happened in the last two years- other than to tell you that from the day I hit my bottom, my HP has clearly had my back even if I didn’t think so. I too often forget that… Even though I had walked away from my HP, my HP didn’t leave me. What or who this HP thing I call God is, I don’t know. I don’t have to. I know that God is everything I need, not want, him to be.

People say that there has been so much growth… My therapist can’t believe I am the same person. And honestly I can’t see any of it it until I see it in each of you and then for me it is still hard. But each of you give me hope, that if I keep doing this work, I too can handle life with the grace yall do.

All I know is that I have no regrets at making this choice and know my bottom and walking into my first AA meeting were two of most important and best days of my life, as hard as that may be to face. I am dead tired rn, but am filled gratitude to be trudging this road to happy destiny. Thanks for being there with me. :goat:

20 Likes

You see to prior like me with way less sober time it is you handling life with grace. Congrats I think this well qualifies you for the title of greatest goat of all time :2nd_place_medal::birthday::birthday::tada::confetti_ball::slightly_smiling_face::+1:

4 Likes

goat

7 Likes