Ultralight Backpacking

I think it takes about a month to do the whole walk. I think it will depend on how hot it will be since it will likely be July or August since we’ll need to go during school break.

1 Like

Oh wow! That’s definitely a journey there! Long treks like that require a bit of a larger pack, although it all depends on how far apart your food caches are. I would definitely do several trial hikes to get an idea what you need to bring. One thing that I used to fall victim to is over packing! I’d fill every nook and cranny with stuff because I felt I may need it. But when doing multiday and/or long distance, the whole “better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it” goes out the window.

I’ll have to check out that trail, see what’s what.

1 Like

My son during our last hike (last August). Glacier Peak, in the background, is Washington’s 4th tallest mountain. This was a ~42 mile hike, took us 3 days. It pretty much kicked the poor kids ass.

6 Likes

I’ve seen this book around, I think it’s time to get a copy!

30 miles in 24 hours is a feat! What’s the elevation gain on it?

Also, what’s the highest peak in the UK?

That is gorgeous! And a handsome young lad to boot. So cool you get him out there with you.

We got more hiking photos over on @siand’s 2019 Hiking Club (Walking Sober) thread, too.

And yikes, @anon12657779. Yeah, 30 miles in a day is really moving! Maybe 36 hours so a guy can get a nap in? :blush:

1 Like

That’s a graph showing the elevation over the distance.
It starts on the peak of Snowdon and ends on the peak of the last. So you have the walk up and down that makes it 30 miles.
They say to bivvy on Snowdon, to get the early start.
They do say you have to be quite fit!! :grinning:
So it’s not something I am going to do just yet!:joy::joy:

The highest peak in the UK is
Ben Nevis in the Highlands at 4,413 ft
There are other peaks in the Highlands all within that height range.
The highest peak in England is Scarfell Pike, in the lake District at 3209ft
The highest peak in Wales is Snowdon at 3460ft
These three peaks make up another challenge called the 3 peaks and that’s doing all 3 in 24 hours. And that includes the drive between.
As a family we’ve been halfway up Ben Nevis and Scarfell.
My wife and I did Snowdon on our own.

1 Like

The first mile looks easy! Ha!!

3 peaks in 30 miles, sounds like a 2 layer to me!

1 Like

That’s pretty decent. Is it risky to get up? Like rocky or nah?

The highest in my state is over 14,000 feet, and it’s not easy to get to the top. You need to have a mountaineering guide and gear and all that. My BIL did it twice. I’m not a huge fan of summiting, more just long distance hikes.

1 Like

There is stone path that goes to the summit. In places it’s difficult as you ascend. The steps up can be 3ft+ and in the wet could be treacherous. Sometimes it a gravel track. What takes it out of you is the constant climb.
All 3 peaks have well trodden routes, that if you can walk, you can do. Obviously there are other routes that are more technical.
Crib Croch on Snowdon is an almost vertical ridge which requires sound scrambling skills and looks like its not for the faint hearted. Even on a nice day!
If groups of kids like scouts and suchlike do even the “basic” routes, they have to have a Mountain leader with them, even if their own adults are experienced walkers.
I used to be an adult instructor with a cadet force, and I had to get qualified just to take kids out in small groups. I was working on my next level which would have allowed me to take them over 1000ft.

1 Like

I was talking to someone who had done this once. He said that when he was on it, him and his mates were going down and back up a little gully whilst there were guys jumping straight over their heads instead. Gotta love those special Forces guys!:joy::joy:

1 Like

The season approaches! Rebooting this thread to ask:

1. Favorite treats on trail?
  2. Sleeping pad setups?

I’m lazy with food when backpacking and don’t mind splurging on nice, freeze-dried meals that only require a boil. Last season my surprise favorite was AlpineAire’s Spicy Chicken Curry.

As my last dinner on trail, this stuff blew me away. Fantastic seasoning that wasn’t “too spicy for the trail,” if you catch my drift. Like good, take away green curry. Having a little more trouble finding it in stock this year.

For sleeping pad I’ve been packing the Sea2Summit self-inflating Comfort Light. Comes in at just under 1.5 lbs. I’m not bashful about extra weight for comfortable sleep. Also my new little Nemo pillow proved to be a nice pick me up last year.

Still, I ponder going lighter/more packable with the sleeping pad, happy though I am with this one. :thinking:

2 Likes

For food - I go with freeze dried meals. Rice, beans, chicken, pasta etc. I like to bring along tortillas because you can wrap pretty much anything! I looooove milk so I will usually bring powdered milk which makes for a good treat when paired with a good protein bar. The secret is to stick the bottle of milk in a snow patch for a good 30 minutes while you take a quick nap, that way its ice cold!

My sleeping situation: I use a hammock! I have a rain fly, bug netting and under quilt. I love it! I used to have a single bivy tent but sleeping on the ground was too hard on my back and I couldn’t find a suitable pad. I was skeptical at first, but after using my hammock now for 6 years, I’ll never go back!

4 Likes

Aw dude, that’s a sweet rig! :star_struck: Always wanted to try hammock camping but never felt comfortable having to rely on tracking down trees near camp. Can be hit or miss here, probably easier up there in the PNW.

And omg, that’s another treat. My go to breakfast is now mixing up some powdered whole milk with this generic (freeze-dried) strawberry and vanilla granola I found last year in the cereal aisle.

The granola doesn’t pack down well. But it’s light and holy cow is it an easy, delicious start to the day soaked in some milk. :yum: I don’t even care if it’s cold!

2 Likes

Alright. Think I’m doing an easy over night at a nearby park in a couple weekends.

The weather’s just starting to turn warm and the hills there still green. Got all the gear, gotta put it to use! Itching for them stars…

Time to bust out the sober tent.

5 Likes

Remember, ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain.

1 Like

Another reason I’m quite happy using the metric system. :grin:

4 Likes

Lucky! It’s still too cold (and wet) up here to do any overnights.

Have you done any PCT hikes?

We did a day hike along a neighboring slice of the JMT leg in our last long outing. But nope otherwise.

And yessir, @Yoda-Stevie. Though my multi day pack weight with all but food and water is still ~13 lbs. At the point where any less would be either unsafe, very expensive, or not very enjoyable for me.

Read an article today that made me cringe. A reminder to “pack light, but don’t pack stupid.” Someone who packed so light that…

1. Water filter broke and they had no alternate purification
  2. Got the :poop: and didn’t have an imodium tab
  3. Got cold and didn’t have enough long layers
  4. Got bored on a day they were rained in their tent

It’s nice saving ounces where ya can, but geez!

3 Likes

Any favorite bringalongs out there?

Couple new ones from last season. First this lil pillow.

Stuffing my puffy in a sack stunk. It compresses down all hard and have to pull it out/in everytime I’d get up in the night. This lil thing is only a few ounces and gets er done quite well!

Also this twist top I came across at the Container Store.

Can I eat and drink out of my cooking cup/pot? Sure. But this gives me a second bowl to eat/drink from that’s easier to clean. Great for shaking up powders, too.

I always brought a little bowl like this. But this one has harder sides and gasketed top. Good cold-soak container on the move if the stove dies. More sturdy than cheap “disposable” ones and leaks not at all.

2 Likes