Ultralight Backpacking

Would spikes be useful? I’m going up the easiest loool

Have you been up before?
I don’t want to be trying to teach grandma how to suck eggs.
:joy::joy:

1 Like

Chance of snow
Moderate winds
Feel like -6
Stay warm, food, hydrate.
Descent boots
Waterproof, warm clothes
Stay on path.

2 Likes

No I haven’t so this grandma needs to suck eggs :joy:

This is my second time hiking I’m going with a more experienced friend tho.

2 Likes

Just have fun
But as I said above. That’s essential kit. Don’t be like those guys on Ben Nevis the other week.
The llanberris path is paved all the way, but will be wet.
Is also suggest spare set clothes in the car.

2 Likes

Mount Adam. You do that with the BIL yet, @Dejavu? :grin:

1 Like

@Eke
A picture of my kit.
My favourite has got to be the mat. Really comfortable.
Mess tins, boil water for MREs and use water for a brew. Cup missing.
Spare set of clothing, including gloves, hat and buff.
First aid kit.
Emergency shelter.
Litchfield 2 man tent. I am looking at getting a bivvy bag and tarp.
Sleeping bag is a Vango ultralight 900. Really warm.
The two plastic containers have matches, batteries, water purification tablets, coffee, tea, toilet paper, pen knife. Laces
Just put it all in my ruck and weighed it. 35lb.

1 Like

Nice kit! Just that packs out to 35 pounds? :confused: Maybe I do have Gucci kit.

Amen to sleeping well. MultiMat self inflatable?

1 Like

No, not yet. He had moved this past summer so he was busy doing that. I’m sure it’ll come up soon. Idk, I’m like a 6/10 for doing it. Would be cool do it, but I’m not too much into mountaineering.

1 Like

Yeah. It really has made a difference.

1 Like

Alright, inspired by your gear shot @anon12657779. Most of my kit, minus some clothes and sundries.

Left to right in back, my tent (2p, but really a roomy 1p), pad (another comfy self inflater), sleeping bag and pack. In front the kitchen, the important orange bag for med/repair stuff, sundries, headlamp, etc. Red bag with sleep clothes, hat, gloves, etc.

The down bag and pack are real nice. The stuff a friend who was teaching me sold me used.

He was generous. For what they cost he practically gave them to me. I esp. like the bag.

4 Likes

I’ve just weighed the empty rucksack and that’s almost 9&1/2lb in its self.

1 Like

Wow, you guys are professionals! :heart_eyes::astonished:

Whoa! Yeah. There ya go. :grin:

On the flip side, this pack is 1.5 lbs. I like it functionally and it carries comfortably for max 30 lbs.

But it’s also slightly too fragile. Been looking to replace it since it keeps needing light mending after heavy trips.

I notice ten years later the same pack is 2 lbs, made from sturdier material now, max 35 lb load.

Yeah, makes a difference. Mines got an aluminium frame in the back and it’s double lined waterproof.
Not exactly made for ultralight backpacking.:rofl:

1 Like

Haha, I wish I did get paid for doing this kind of thing!
:thinking: Mmm, now there’s a thought!
:rofl:

1 Like

Trade offs. Cuz yeah, mine has a light, internal aluminum frame. But it still can’t carry real heavy loads and needs add ons for water proofing. Garbage bags or the like.

I like the look of your little stove. Takes the same size cannister as mine.

Thanks! It’s mostly just good at boiling water and not taking up much space though. Not great for cooking.

My boss went full Iron Chef at camp and despised it. I got assigned to making coffee. :rofl:

You had a couple nice pans. You ever do more fancy than the MREs?

Edit: plus doesn’t that style let you invert the can? Good for cold weather or something?

God no. Boil in the bag.
They are left over from when my daughter did Cadets and I’ve not really looked at changing them as they do the job.
If I find something that suits then I would probably change.

1 Like