UPDATE: THEY CLOSED MY DEPARTMENT, laid off 90+ people. I'm going to get fired?.... not for drinking... for being me

It’s a right to work state. One that does not give uib if you quit or get fired for cause.

I know we’ve all been hearing about “quiet quitting” the last few months but I’ve just read an article on “quiet firing”……I still wonder if that is what they are doing to you. Making your work experience so bad that you end up quitting….and as a result they don’t have to give any severance.

3 Likes

Befor today, i am sure that is what they have been dying. See my update to this thread

This sounds to me like it’s a bad fit between your manager and you, and they say that most people don’t leave bad jobs they leave bad managers. Heck your manager would hate me. I’m always saying what other people daren’t and showing my kitten and things I find fun. Senior people at our place eat their lunch on camera and ask what everyone’s eating for dinner later! It doesn’t sound like you’re having great fun there so I would try and find a culture that matches yours. Linkedinand glassdoor are Great tools to do that on the quiet. Also, huge congrats on 2 weeks xx

1 Like

This can be a blessing. Severance or unemployment insurance applies when laid off. A chance to find a new gig and a fresh start.

Don’t be discouraged. Have faith in your talents and abilities, and keep them sharp with sobriety.

1 Like

When “my position was eliminated” it was a fight to get my unemployment. You need to apply, keep certifying, and file those appeals each time they deny you. Pain in the ass, but that retro check is nice.

1 Like

That sounds like a blessing in disguise, now you have no choice but to make a positive move. I like your attitude, you’re right this will not derail you. What it will do is show you how strong you are and that you can make it through adversity sober and come out the other side better for it.

My lead got laid off too. They laid off 27% of the company.

Sounds like the company is in poor fiscal health and is downsizing to remain solvent. It’s an unfortunate occurrence in many industries. Get your UIB, notify any creditors of your reduction in income and ask for forbearance if available, prioritize expenses, create a budget, create a plan to fill your time while between jobs, update your resume and hit the ole job trail.

You have no control over the layoff but you do have control over what you do now.

8 Likes

They did say, in the letter, they will not fight, but will respond honestly. I’ll get uib, but i already have a crappy job lined up. Hopefully i get a better one super fast

1 Like

Yeah, it’s the real estate industry so… we knew it was getting bad

1 Like

Oof. Yeah that’s a tough industry. lotta ups and downs the last couple of years. However, the skills you learned there are highly marketable and I’m sure you’ll find something.

3 Likes

Stay positive chica and keep fighting the sober fight

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been in the industry quite a while… crazy.

Thanks. I just feel drained now. Thank goodness i have gab and a supportive family.

4 Likes

100% Apply elsewhere, I didn’t realise the layoffs were that high.

Yeah… ive already started applying, even applied for unemployment but i hope to have a job before the severance package runs out (they have me 3.5 weeks)

1 Like

Wishing you the absolute best of luck and I hope the right job with the best people finds its way to you. I’m in the U.K. where redundancy is very different I understand, but I’ve been through it with myself and my partner and I know how challenging this is both physically and mentally. Be fierce and be bold. You’ve got this.

2 Likes

Thank yup. Yesterday was a huge challenge. First time I’ve thought about driving or buying a bottle with anything other than a fleeting thought. Didn’t go get any. Didn’t drink. But at one point i even wished i wasn’t sober because i would totally get looped

5 Likes

You can use your free time to go to more AA meetings…

2 Likes