Using dxm/ cold medicine. NOT ME! JUST HAVE QUESTIONS

A friend of mine had started using dxm, what is it? I’m a recovering alcoholic as is she but she’s using this stuff in place of alcohol and I have no idea what it is. I googled it and all I find is cold medicine. WTF? Anyone have experience with this. Should I be concerned?

You’re right. That’s what it is.

If dxm stands for dextromethorphin it is a cough suppressant

I’ve no experience but abuse of this is concerning. It can fuck up your liver pretty good.

1 Like

What @Dejavu said. If you mean the cold medicine, abusing it (not using it as prescribed) is not a great idea as I understand it. Particularly long term.

Abusing cold medicine isn’t so uncommon, I say from experience… at my worst I’d down whatever was around to get the job done.

Just like i seen sold in a gas station the other day legal “lean” . People are also mixing it in alcohol as well. Or in the 90’s was a sizzzurp!

I used to do triple C’s and DXM. Looking back it was not a pleasant experience.

I “overdosed” on robotussin once… never again! horrible hallucinations… puking… thought I was gonna die. eff that stuff!

“Either I’m high or I’m nuts , cus if you ain’t tilting this room neither am I”

• eminem

I have been taking two Aleve PMs at night to assist with sleep. Works really well too. I remember trying to take it when I was drinking and it didn’t work or at least I don’t think it worked. I usually just blacked out so it may have I simply dont have any recollection of it working.

also dxm itself has been shown to NOT affect the liver. think before you speak.

honestly you should talk to them and see if they are ready to stop. if they arent you should tell them to use products with ONLY dextromethorphan as a active ingredient. as well as this suggest to them they should follow the guidline “week per plateau” (they can look it up). They should totally get sober especially if they want to, this is just some very useful harm reduction information to give them if they choose to keep using.

1 Like

Actually, it does damage the liver. Here’s one link, maybe I should find some more. I know at 16 you think you know everything. We all do at your age. But maybe you should do some research before opening your mouth.

2 Likes

Lol I’m walking proof dxm causes liver damage-I have liver cirrhosis not only caused by abusing alcohol and adderall but liquid Tylenol and cough medications. Shit will fuck you up.

2 Likes

Yeah thats not liver damage from dxm, your liver damage is solely from the acetaminophen in the product you were using.

Keyword CHRONIC use. Dxm is not neurotoxic or heptatoxic on its own. The liver damage that you could get from it anyways (which is pretty rare) is more from the additives in the syrup. I said dxm alone doesnt, but if you are using it chronically enough for it to even do liver damage you definitely have other things to worry about…

and heres something to read because I don’t feel like typing it out. much (and i mean a lot) of the info on dxm online is assuming the product used is one with multiple ingredients so a lot of the risks are from other ingredients. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.reddit.com/r/dxm/comments/biy32r/dxm_and_liver_damage/&ved=2ahUKEwj1hqenisnpAhXtYd8KHTilDEAQFjAJegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1j9Ip9_E30fWFd_KYhDLLf&ampcf=1&cshid=1590205893666

Call it a side effect from the pursuit of DXM then.

Either way, we shouldn’t minimize the addiction and real health complications related to its use, or the experiences of others who’ve been through the wringer over it.

I knew drinking a little probably wouldn’t kill me either. Problem is “a little” isn’t in my vocabulary, and I’d grab for things like cold medicine too when I needed to finish the job.

Small miracle I’m still here.

2 Likes

Reddit :joy::joy::joy:. No wonder you don’t ever know what you are talking about. Alcohol only damages the liver with “cHrOnIc” abuse too.

4 Likes

Oh ok so my dr is wrong. Got it.

2 Likes