Vegan and embarking on scary journey in vystopian world. Can anyone relate?

I think you should power down a bit. You are a vegan. I get it. I am an evangelical Christian. We’ve both made bold lifestyle choices.

Now I could let all of the sin and evil I see in the world drive me crazy, drive me to drink, or I can be “in the world, but not of the world”.

I have decided to never drink again. Now, I could fixate on the societal structures that promote drinking, or I can keep my front steps swept clean.

Maybe just focus on saying “no” to the drink that matters…the first drink, and leave all the societal strictures to sort themselves out.

9 Likes

Thank you for the advice, sincerely. I think i will keep my steps swept - avoid the drink but remain “powered up” as it were :slight_smile: as i know we all as humans share the same belief of not harming sentient beings when we dont need to. Youre right to a point about letting the structures sort themselves out and to resist the drink but i will still do my bit to help people realise their natural compassion

I never actually intended to appear “preachy” on this post but ill never pass up an opportunity to speak up for the voiceless. I apologise if ive annoyed anyone

1 Like

Thanks Bob. So far so good in terms of the forum helping me, if nothing else than to vent. Everyone is really kind and i believe im in the right place too. Heres to day 3 tomorrow :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Never a truer saying. The day us monkey’s learnt how to use our thumbs was the day things started to go wrong.:joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

Ignorance is bliss…but only to the ignorant

Okay I’ve read this thread over and over again and here’s what I gather from it and most people have given you a very reserved response. I don’t have an issue to tell you that you’ve rubbed me up the wrong way so here’s my very irked 2 cents. Lets start off by cutting through all the big words that no-one uses in actual conversation, shall we?

You have an idea (an opinion, I prefer) of what you deem to be perfection. You take the appropriate step in your opinion (veganism) to try to achieve that perfection. Not everyone around you is taking the step (being vegan) that you deem acceptable to acheive that perfection So what you’re really saying is - Everyone, in my opinion should be a vegan to make the world perfect but the whole world isn’t vegan, this stresses me out so i’m going to drink.

Here is my conclusion

You have worked yourself into such a frenzie with your veganism that your personal choice to be so has has given you a complex over how others behave. If this is the case, you need to go and see a behavioural professional because the behaviour your exhibiting is both hypocritical and damaging.

OR/and

1. Your sense of perspective is way out.

“My wife left me”
“My child died”
“I was abused”
“I saw my best friend killed in Afghanistan”

These… are some of what I would assume to be understandable (not excusable) reasons for people battling an addiction.

You are basically blaming the entire non-vegan population for your drink problem and unfortunately, no matter how much you want it to happen, the world in its entirety will NEVER go Vegan, ultimately giving you an excuse for life to drink.

I personally will never embrace veganism any more than I will embrace religion; it doesn’t work for me and it never will. So for as long as I am alive, you have an excuse to drink…

On that rather sad reality, the only thing I could suggest is that you see a professional one on one and listen to what they have to say and remain open minded to other peoples lifestyle choices.

20 Likes

Im glad you felt the need the read the post over and over again. Vegan issues often trigger people into commenting on supposedly supportive groups antagonising those looking for help…

You seem to have a misplaced view of what veganism actually is. It is an attempt to reduce the amount of harm as far as is practically possible. I dont need everyone to be perfect - just to acknowledge the common morals we all hold… that harming other sentient creatures when we have other options is unnecessary and therefore ridiculous in a supposedly cultured enlightened society. Not that much of a stretch? Maybe you disagree? The reason for my pain and the subsequent need for escapism is the constant normalization (sorry - i used a few words that you might have not used in your conversations) is constantly being bombarded with the needless suffering and murdering of animals that should have the same value of life as our dogs.

Its interesting you werent the first person in this forum to compare veganism to a religion. The crucial difference is that religion is based on faith. Veganism is based on objective moral values we all agree on as well as peer reviewed science. It is the only logical conclusion if you are against unnecessary exploitation and killing of animals.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: posting this on a thread about veganism. You are the vegan in this situation. Brilliant!

I agree. I have certainly felt guilty in my drinking past. About not just the water of course but also the farmland, the wheat and the labor. All in the service of getting high instead of feeding hungry people and creatures.

1 Like

Hi pal. I come at this with a lot of kindness. And as someone who was vegan (including a period of time as a vegan activist) for a year and vegetarian for 17 years and now is neither. I also come at this from the perspective of an alcoholic.

One of the things we alcoholics and addicts try to help others to understand is that in order to tackle our own problem behaviours, we need to look into and change ourselves and our own ways of thinking. Blaming others - anything - other people, other circumstances, etc, for our own drinking/drugging/addictive behaviours, does not bode well for those seeking sobriety. There are many external factors that I can and did for a long time blame my drinking on. Guess what? As long as I did that, I kept drinking and drugging.

We generally try to avoid controversial topics around here, because arguments about the right and wrongs of people’s religion, lifestyle choices, diet, sexuality, politics, etc etc etc do not keep people sober.

This is a great place to get help and support about how to achieve and maintain sobriety.

Best wishes
:hearts::snowflake::rainbow::bird:

19 Likes

By far and away the kindest and most helpful comment on my thread asking for support from people who may have empathised with me. I find it interesting that so many people who didnt empathise would chose to contribute and potentially jeopardise my attempts for sobriety

Nice one. Good luck to you mate

I suppose alcohol industry uses animal testing and not all beverages are vegan - as regards direct impacts of drinking. Another question is how getting wasted will or wont change things, inside/outside of ones head.

5 Likes

Why did the chicken cross the road? To be roadkill and eaten… Duhh…

8 Likes

There are a few other vegans on here. I personally would appreciate it if we could keep the mocking jokes out of the post.

7 Likes

Here’s what helped me: The ONLY person who can jeopardize my sobriety is me. It doesn’t matter what they do, what they say, or what they eat. I am the only one who is picking up a drink and putting it in my mouth or choosing to act out.

What are you doing to get sober? What are your strategies for when you feel tempted?

15 Likes

Keep this respectful please on both sides of the debate. Quite a few flags already and I don’t want to close it down but will if I have to.

We’re all different, respect others opinions, don’t preach or impose your own views or judge others because theirs are different to yours and if you have nothing kind or constructive to say best to ignore the thread.

4 Likes

AA helped me realize that I’m not God, and get sober. Maybe a meeting could help you too.

5 Likes

In that case, remove the thread. I think its apparant that its premise was offensive from the start.

1 Like