Veganuaury

I’m a vegetarian now and started 3 years ago gradually cutting out cows pigs and sheep then stopped eating birds and fish. I still eat eggs and dairy but the important thing for me is I am still working towards going vegan. Well done hope you enjoy it.

3 Likes

I’ve been vegan since the 1st of January, I’m finding that thinking up nice recipes is good way to keep myself busy and take my mind off other cravings.

3 Likes

Tibetan coconut vegan curry. Not bad

9 Likes

My hubby still eats meat and my kids are lacto-ovo…but over the last year I e found I need to do a lot less cooking for everyone. Even my hubby is eating more vegan meals. Basically when we order pizza or eating out does everyone get what they want. And if he wants meat at home he cooks it (I honestly don’t think I could cook meat again…I don’t remember how!!!)

My husband still has eggs a lot but when doing eggs in a recipe i find they don’t even notice if I sub in flax egg or aquafaba!! So it’s only eggs for my hubby.

My eldest has recently discovered oat milk and really likes that. I like oat too though I still prefer soy…but I’ll use oat if it means one less on cow’s milk.

I still struggle to get them off dairy cheese. :disappointed:

I have been told by a few vegans that vegan cheese is pants and one of the only things yet to be mastered.

But this might have something to do with the enzyme that is in dairy which is addictive. In cheese it’s concenttated.

But I must say the vegan cheese I’ve tried this far has not been nice

I think soft cashew cheeses are good but they really work best for crackers.

Shredded and sliced cheeses can be just awful. I like Earth Island but Dayia is just horrible.

I wonder if people will learn to eat far far less meat and then use dairy for stuff that just has no substitute but then consume oat milk, almond milk etc instead of milk.

That way mass farming will drastically reduce compared to current levels

Well, it seems clear that dairy farmers are very concerned about the increase in non-dairy sales.

Yes they will be it’s there whole life but at the end of the day the world cannot keep up with demand and change is needed. I do t think dairy needs to go completely but the level of consumption will have to go

As an ethical vegan I’m really not keen on the industry…but I totally recognize that having the whole world go vegan is completely unrealistic. I’d really be thrilled if we could go back to the old ways where meat is a special treat and dairy too. It was only during the wars when food was more scarce (not sure if WWI or WWII) that dairy was more promoted for its nutrition. Since then guidelines keep adding more and more dairy yet I really do t believe it’s better for us. Some can be nutritious…but that doesn’t mean more is more nutritious.

1 Like

Yeah, vegan “cheese” is not good. I avoid trying to replicate former favorites, since it’s usually disappointing and the faux meats and cheeses are overly processed anyway.

1 Like

The only vegan cheese I’ve tried that was any good is Vegusto No-Moo Piquant. And it’s better than good. It’s great. Vegan or not I enjoy it.
images (30)

2 Likes

I’ve never seen that before. I wonder if I can order it online or request it at my natural foods market!

Yes agreed. The level of dairy farming in the EU has gone mental and the process has been made as automated as possible. The EU dairy industry also export massive volumes to China.

I don’t have a problem with meat consumption or dairy but the ethical element is when we are using cows as machines rather than living creatures. Cows would not exist if it wasn’t for farming but for most of the time they have been farmed by family farms that produce whatever the cows do, they where never pumped with steroids to get more and more. We need to get back to that.

Portion size plays a big part as well

3 Likes

Not a vegan, bit of a permacuturalist animal rights activist and humanitarian person but was raised to hunt wild game and to farm as ethically as possible. Here’s my vegan lunch brown rice salad with homegrown spinach and nuts and cabbage

5 Likes

Went vegan for a year at one stage but really struggled in the end. Lack of support and eating unhealthy vegan meat substitutes cheese substitutes and junk foods. Easy to overdo the sugar! Got affected by polarising information online and got a slight eating disorder as a result, now I just try eat balanced and healthy. Comes down to daily choices. Thanks for letting me share.

3 Likes

I was vegan for 4 years dramatic weight loss felt ill at the end
Went to pescatarian feel amazing now
Just fish and mainly plant based foods
I will go vegan again but I’d do it right next time

2 Likes

Wow that sounds horrendous.

I get what you mean about meat substitutes and too much sugar though.

I don’t think it’s the ideal choice I just think it’s a case of people eating less meat and dairy but not completely cutting it out

1 Like

A lot of vegans struggle with those meat and cheese substitutes. It is just so amazing that companies are now creating these non-animal products that we want to show our support and show that there is a demand for the products…as a result we over do it. I know my weight went up when I became a vegan because of all these foods. I’m trying to change my diet into a more whole foods, plant based.

Also, I think another subset of vegans are the ones that go all super health concious…only foods perceived as super healthy. One girl ended up very publicly declaring her need to only consume green smoothies resulted in an eating disorder (orthorexia). Sadly when she came forward with this the and her journey back to health (which did include bringing in some animal products) some of the vegan community jumped all over her…quite viciously. As a former bulimic I found that quite distasteful and found myself fighting back for her.

As I have said I am an ethical vegan and I don’t consume or use any animal products but I am a big supporter of REDUCTION as a global solution…not everyone can do what I do. Every person should be comfortable saying “this is what I CAN do, so I DO do”. The competition over who is better than who just infuriates me because we can’t possibly know what the other person is going through.

7 Likes

Your salad looks amazing!!

1 Like