Very weak moment

I made it through! And I didn’t drink. Thank you all so much. Instead of having a drink with my meal, I just had water and as soon as the food hit the stomach, it sort of went away. Drinking on an empty stomach was one of my favorite things to do Back then. Thank you so much. If it wasn’t for this app, I could’ve thrown away 10 months of complete sobriety. And instead of accomplishing more today and tomorrow like I did the last few days, I would’ve just hated myself tomorrow. Thank you so much!

15 Likes

Another good point for always checking HALT :hugs: I’m happy you had a delicious meal and feel ok again!

2 Likes

When I am in this mode of thinking I simply tell myself I will wait 24 hours before making a decision to take a drink. If I’m going to relapse after all the time I’ve spent working on sobriety, what is another 24 hours?

Usually during that day it becomes apparent to me that thinking about taking a drink was an obscenely ridiculous thought for me to have, and I usually spend the latter part of the day counting things I am grateful for today that I have thanks to me not taking a drink. And by the time 24 hours comes along I have moved on with my life and the idea of taking a drink is no longer an appealing option.

6 Likes

Fuck yes!!

1 Like

Thank you, tomorrow morning when I’m having my coffee, I’m gonna count my blessings because I would’ve been miserable!

4 Likes

Great job!! I too find that my craving almost always goes away once I have a full stomach. So I’d drink on an empty stomach and then never get around to eating…. Good choices :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Yep, at the end, I wouldn’t even get around to eating, or it would be very well well done on the grill! Lol. Like blackened, and not the Cajun seasoning! :rofl::+1:

1 Like

I’ve talked to a couple of people about the empty stomach and full stomach but maybe we should start a thread that says before you drink have a triple cheeseburger…. I’ll bet there is something chemical to it.

2 Likes

There are several threads on HALT: Hungry Angry Lonely Tired
Give it a look, lots of good information and experience there.
I like this one:

2 Likes

Keep working on your sobriety every day…do something each day to strengthen it, look toward those who have long term sobriety and what they have done to be so and be open to learning from them whatever their recovery journey entails

2 Likes

Well, thank everyone again for yesterday. Although I’m happy, I did not drink. I have to admit I’m embarrassed. Embarrassed that I had to come on here in my weak moment. Do you know someone gave great advice above about waiting 24 hours. 24 hours before that moment, I was even sitting there, thinking I have absolutely no will to drink ever again. I was like I got this. But basically, I had a series of great things happen and got finished. It was basically at like a celebration lunch. But I am so grateful for all of you, because as soon as I simply posted that I needed help, in the back of my mind before even reading it, I knew it was there. And then I read them and ordered that glass of water and some food.

you know, when my doctor first looked at my bloodwork years ago and told me I have to quit and I did for a while, and when he asked me if I drank, I said I did and I told him why, he said no excuses! He said you’re gonna have good and bad things happen all the time in life. A wedding, a funeral, Romantic, disappointments, job, promotions, no excuse! At the time I thought he was a little harsh, but he was right. You know I wrestled and coached competitively. And one thing I used to tell my wrestlers at the end of the day is, winning and losing are temporary conditions. It’s what you do after them that defines you. Sounds like I need to be listening to those words myself more. So now I’m having my coffee just thinking about how awful I would’ve felt physically and most of all how disappointed I would’ve been in my self. And, those little successes actually led to more so I have a big day today. One of my appointments is dark and early this morning. If I would have Drank, all my success would have fallen out from under me. Thank you again! Sorry, I bothered you all! Bobby

3 Likes

No need to be embarrassed! I have come on myself several times, just because I needed to hear from other people ‘No!’. And then I do the same when I am feeling strong for someone else. That is surely what this app is for. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

You know deep in your heart drinking will ONLY make it worse

2 Likes

Absolutely, much much worse, and then now I’d probably be going through the thinking of well. I broke my 10 month sobriety streak, so I might as well have some more this weekend, and then I would be in a vicious cycle. It’s weird, even though I didn’t drink I’m extremely disappointed in myself that I got that close.

1 Like

Disappointed? WHAT?! That is something that you deserve to be PROUD about. you conquered yesterday & you will conquer today.

2 Likes

You should feel awesome. Reading this thread was the best way to start the morning. You were brave to reach out. It was the best tool to use at that moment. And then the flood of NOs and encouraging words and great advice. This place rocks. You just put that on display and showed how to stay sober. Thank you!

4 Likes

Thats what we are all here for! No need for embarrassment

1 Like

We all need a reminder sometimes and people who say NO! Together we are stronger, this journey is better travelled in company. Set a bookmark. Come back and read and reach out again when temptation sets in next time. Be nice and kind to yourself, remind yourself about how much nicer life is without a hangover.

3 Likes

Just keep busy at this point anything to keep you busy not to drink will definitely help and maybe go to a AA meeting? Get your mind off things talking to some people there would help and if you would like you can check out another app it’s called “IN THE ROOMS” it’s also an app that actually has different meetings that ppl join into and have a main speaker for NA/AA && ALSO OTHER TYPES OF MEETING’S! ,:revolving_hearts::purple_heart::people_hugging:

1 Like

Together we are stronger. Please don’t be embarrassed and don’t feel like a bother. People helping people is the way I want to live. Now it’s your turn to talk someone down.

2 Likes