Want to know your thoughts on the flu compared to covid19

Hey guys,
I’m sure we are all getting exhausted,thinking, talking,watching, all the info on covid19. But I’m curious what you guys think. Is it being blown out of proportion? Is the media just scaring us? Hope you all are having a blessed sober day❤️

7 Likes

For me, it’s both. Honestly, I’m not as scared as some others might be but I’m also not taking this whole situation lightly.
The flu and Covid are passed in the same manner but the only difference from what my understanding is, is how contagious it is. Although not airborne, it’s kind of creepy how widespread it is. Now just some simple math here and there will show that only about 0.1% of the population is infected, for now. What scares me is that we haven’t peaked yet because people are still acting like it’s not really a problem. Within the New York City area there are 52,000 cases as of yesterday and that’s just one city. A considerable portion of Italys’ population will be eliminated because of this. From what I have read this far, this virus is hard to isolate because once it has a host, it has the capacity to mutate into it’s third generation, making it almost impossible to isolate and find a cure.
I’m scared for my folks (mid 60’s) and for my brother in law who has MS ie a compromised immune system.
On the other hand, I’m taking all necessary precautions I can to stay healthy and not be a carrier.
Eat vitamins, exercise with yoga, warm fluids and a balanced diet will be the savior for me.
As much as it sucks to be sheltered in place/practice social distancing, it’s the right thing to do until the human population can get a handle on how to counter attack this deadly virus.

7 Likes

What scares me is the healthcare system is not equipped to handle so many people getting this virus at the same time. I’m not scared about getting the virus but I’m sure if it comes down to me needing a ventilator or a 25 year old needing one, we know that 25 year old will get it over me. There’s just not enough equipment to handle the influx of people at hospitals. As they keep saying, we all need to do our part to flatten the curve.

10 Likes

Thank you for the response! I’m where you are on this issue. My parents are at high risk also. Thanks again :heart::blue_heart:

2 Likes

This!
In our country in the south were I live they have moved people from the hospital to other hospitals in the north of the Netherlands. And also a few to Germany. They thought the avarage patient would be 10 days in IC, but now the see the avarage is 23 days!! So we run out of beds soon. They think the peak is at the end of may. Hopefully there are enough beds and equipement. The news about New York, India and other countries worries me. It’s not an ordinary flu. There are also young people in IC.

4 Likes

We’re having the same issue here in New York. A military hospital ship is arriving tomorrow to help with the overload. They’ve set up a morge on the streets of NY too. We’re just not equipped to handle this at all and our government took too long to take action on isolation.

5 Likes

Is it being blown out of proportion? No. It is a highly communicable disease that is proportionally deadlier than the common flu.

Is it a compelling story of worldwide coordinated action across countries that are normally fighting each other? Yes. That’s what makes it so powerful in the news.

We probably need to just stay grounded, and keep our calm, and be clean & safe - eventually this too shall pass.

13 Likes

The government’s of the world would not destroy there economies because the media are after a story would they.
If anything I think we don’t know the extent of it all.

8 Likes

I feel we have to prepare for the worst case scenario. What surprised me is the amount of people who have passed in recent years from the seasonal flu, I wouldn’t have guessed those numbers to be that high.

I really need to find something positive to watch.

5 Likes

Thank you @Quinny251
This is the best point i’ve read so far. It seems like in America we have stupidly even politicized a virus. How can this be? Look at the news in Italy, Spain, New York City. My little county out in the middle of nowhere AZ has 2 deaths and 55 cases. I think the media is reporting it and it is real and some people think it doesn’t affect them. Well it effects us all. I’m tired of people blaming everything on the media. And I am definitely not saying @Bestlife you are blaming it on he media. In general I’m just tired of people blaming things on good reporting. I do realized there are media outlets out there that are just looking for a story. Be care where you get your news.
Love you guys
:kissing_heart: :pray:
Be safe.

5 Likes

I believe it is being blown out of proportion somewhat by some media outlets and not being taken seriously enough by others. Therefore, the truth is somewhere in between. I read/watch media that supports my political persuasion but make sure to read/watch media that I don’t agree with to get a well rounded take on the situation and form the best, logical position I can. I take into consideration the facts I learn from the ground (ie: my father is an internal medicine doctor at a local hospital and my mother is a nurses aide in a hospital in another state) I always listen to Dr. Fauci however.

It’s def a serious situation that we shouldn’t fuck around with. People are dying. The true fatality percentage isn’t known bc there hasn’t been enough testing. We will probably never have a truly accurate number on that.

Social distancing appears to be working at least in my state. Be responsible for yourself but take others into consideration before you buy 77 cases of toilet paper, if you smoke try to knock that out at least until this passes but better forever, exercise and don’t forget to get some fresh air and take a walk now and again. Keep your mental health strong however you can.

Stay safe guys

8 Likes

I think how we react is completely within our control, whatever the hullabaloo.

Where I am we got our guidance quickly and mostly people are respecting it. So although it spreads it hasn’t yet been so bad as other places eventually got to be. Meanwhile people look after each other.

Watching NYC I’m more concerned. There’s been little or late action there, and now I have a close family member who’s caught it and is very ill. I can only hope he pulls through.

11 Likes

I’ll be thinking about you and your family member. I sincerely hope he turns out ok. This virus is a bastard

3 Likes

I feel sorry for US citizens because it’s apparent to the rest of the west that you do not get unbiased news. The UK media Is for the most part very impartial in terms of of politics apart from some news papers being slightly left or right to centre but not even in the same ground as the US with CNN and FOX news etc. Most Europeans would not consider them news channels but rather some weird form of entertainment

14 Likes

I think it has been said above, but it is the healthcare system not being able to cope which is the issue. I am UK based and a lot of my family work in the NHS.

The NHS was already struggling and is not equipped to deal with this. Doctors are having to make decisions on who to treat, not just for COVID-19, but other day to day issues like heart attcks, sepsis, injuries and so on.

COVID-19 can be serious for some and a bad flu for others. It is the fact it is a new strain and It’s every one catching it at once that is the real reason this is a killer. Subsequently people are dying who don’t even have it as a result of doctors, nurses and equipment not being available.

If you are young and fit you have a huge responsibility to stay indoors. If you catch it and end up in hospital they will make the decision to remove an elderly person or someone with underlying health conditions from the bed and give it to you. At this point they are just playing the survival odds. Effectively you will be responsible for many deaths.

9 Likes

It is most definitely not a media influenced pandemic. This is not the flu, this is a respiratory virus that takes the minority toll on the elderly, immunocompromised, early adolescent and late diagnosed. Keep your distance if out, preferably stay at home and wash your hands. Stay safe, y’all.

7 Likes

This past week a very healthy friend of mine in his 30s almost died to covid19. He was hospitalized twice with a temp of 105. He couldn’t breathe. His wife was so weak from having it she could barely move to call for help. This is no joke people. Please please take this seriously.

4 Likes

Thank you for all the insight guys. That’s why I asked the question. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your friends. Prayers their way :pray:.

3 Likes

I think this is a global pandemic of panic. People are suffering way more from the panic, than they are from the actual virus. Way more people catch the flu each year, and far more die from it, yet the world doesn’t lose their crap over it. Like the flu, the vast majority who catch it, fully recover in a few weeks.

I don’t always get a flu shot, yet I haven’t had the flu in years. I hardly ever get colds. I attribute this to the scrupulous hand cleaning I do. Always have. I take immune boosting supplements and use a Neti pot as a preventative, daily. I sanitize my phone, daily too.

My fears aren’t about any virus. Mine center on how deep our personal economies will fall, and how long it’s going to take for them to recover. Like a small stone thrown into a placid pond, the ripples extend in all directions and last long after the stone has disappeared.

On the brighter side, we here at TS know it is possible to build strong relationships, even when physically separated. We can still have a sense of community, even though few of us have actually met in person. It begins with sharing our addiction struggles, but we also connect over regular life challenges, share joys and sadness. Now we have one more extraordinary experience to look back upon, that we’ve gone through.

5 Likes