Was anyone ever able to successfully social drink again?

Welcome to the community and congrats on your 92 days that’s a great achievement. :+1::heart::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I successfully drank. A whole shit ton of vodka. I was very successful at drinking myself into oblivion. I successfully drank my wife away.
I successfully drank all right.

5 Likes

I couldn’t do it. I have a very addictive personality. I drank a bunch and took forever to quit. I know I’d be screwed if I had even one drink. This is why I refuse to gamble. I’d like it and be homeless in no time. Besides I honestly dont think my body could take that abuse again. I’d definitely die.

3 Likes

From what I can gather @Vybez315 I think you have been able to going from your other post. ( I’m not being funny btw I just thought that you may be able to discuss with the op) :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

One year later and I can still remember all the ways in which I tried to moderate and failed so spectacularly.

I’m grateful to be sober and no longer playing mental tug of war about moderation.

10 Likes

Great insight! Reminded me of this thread too

3 Likes

This is so funny to me now… I remember spending hours on Google trying to find 1 site that would tell me this was possible, I didn’t find one. Surely i was different though, the exception, special.

Turns out I’m special like everyone else. Moderation is not in the cards for me, most likely not for anyone else who asks this question.

2 Likes

Everyone is different and everyone’s journey is different. None of us have ever walked in each other’s shoes. Unless you’re like friends or something and trade shoes sometimes, idk. The rest of us can only be judge of our own limitations. In my journey, I’ve had to learn to concentrate on myself and my goals, not the expectations that others place on me. In the beginning, I felt guilty and ashamed when I would drink casually. Today, I have no desire to be the black out drunk that I used to be when I was out with friends. Now I’ve gained the want and will power to go to a bar and have fun without drinking, but can still have a glass of wine at home if I want to. Those are my shoes. What are yours? (Also my shoes are Doc Martens for anyone wondering).

Being sober for year does sound hard right
so just be sober today and tell your self that every morning

Thats a big HECK NO! One and I’m done… its over… goodnight… lights out.
No matter where I was… If I could drink socially and casually, I wouldn’t be on this website, lol. I’ve yet to come across and alcoholic that can drink successfully. That’s just the way it. I couldn’t handle friends or a partner drinking around me. I know people that can, but they have been sober alot longer. Maybe one day it’ll be ok, but I can’t risk it right now.

1 Like

This topic is so interesting. It runs along all different types of addictions, and all different types of people. Like those who quit caffeine because their body craves it, or sugar, or marijuana, etc etc…
All of us *are * different. If something is controlling you, it needs to go. Alcohol was mine. Im not about to have a lapse to find out if I can possibly drink casually or not. I know I can’t and it isn’t worth it. Marijuana, for me, was never a problem once I got older (unless it was along with drinking). I can leave it if I want to. But it does more positive things for me than not when it’s treated like medicine. Same with food. I can moderate food no problem. In fact, my appetite generally sucks unless I use cannabis to stimulate it because I tend to not eat as much as I should.
It’s all about finding balance within yourself. In my very humble opinion, which I clearly felt the need to share. :wink:
@slim.shieldsy I also have a deep love for my doc martens :slightly_smiling_face: :white_heart:

3 Likes

If you are a real alcoholic like me the answer would be no there will be no such thing when I take one drink I will drink until oblivion but that’s just me. Congratulations Incahoots whoever can do this but the real alcoholic not a chance!

3 Likes

CAN I GET AN AMEN?! On your post AND your choice of footwear :100::ice_cube::black_heart:

1 Like

I personally cannot. I have one and I am done with. I had to learn this the hard way but to each their own.

This is my opinion and really it is just for me. My thoughts are that I cannot have just one drink. I have tried MANY times to control my drinking. I can’t .
Never ever have I been able to have it once in a while. Can’t. So I don’t have it in the house even. One of my husbands hobbies was making wine. He stopped making it. I felt shamed by this at first but for Me it’s better. But that decision is only up to you.

I would say that if u are here, you obviously have an abuse issue like everyone else here… so i would advize that you strive to let go of even the thaught of maybe i can do this socially… trust me… it doesnt work well for people like us… good luck and i hope u continue to work on sobriety!!!

1 Like

@MeVsMe just said it. This forum is called TalkingSober for a reason. The people that are here, are here for a reason and that’s not to practise social drinking. Until now I’ve seen literally no one succeed in drinking socially here. I’ve seen quite a few announcing they could and were going to do it, and out of that quite some returned telling that they couldn’t. Nobody until now came back saying it was working for them. Not saying you can’t @slim.shieldsy . But I’m not going to try myself. I don’t want to and I don’t need to. I know I want and need to stay sober because life is much better for me sober and clean and I am sure that one would take me right back to where I was which was in a very deep hole which got progressively deeper each day.

I got a good friend and old drinking buddy who turns out to be a social drinker since the bars here have been closed for months now. He doesn’t drink at home, just on social occasions, like 2 or 3 nights a week in the bar. Or at festivals or concerts and all that stuff we haven’t had for about a year now. To me it’s hard to believe and to fathom. But he didn’t drink for months, and is still yearning very much for the bars to open up again. So he can go and drink 40 (no joke) units of beer and jenever a night socially at the bar. To each their own I guess.

2 Likes

Grave yards full of people who thought they could

4 Likes

I don’t personally know anyone who has successfully moderated after working hard to get sober. I know I can’t, I drank to get drunk. I’m free because I’m sober, I don’t miss it a bit.

I too love Doc Martens. I got my first pair on December last year, didn’t know of I’d actually wear them, they are now my preferred choice in footwear!

3 Likes

I’ve had a few acquaintances pass on the last couple weeks. The one girl had 5 or 6 years sober. Leaves behind her 5 year old son.

2 Likes