Wedding advice

Any advice on going to a wedding? All of my friends expect me to be “that guy” partying and drinking and I’m 2 weeks sober now, trying to get my shit together. I want to have a good time without having to explain why I’m not drinking to everyone :pensive: very nervous. Any advice is appreciated !!

3 Likes

If it’s an open bar I would try my best to leave early. Cash bar… the wallet goes to my sidekick :slight_smile:

Welcome Drew. And congratulations on the 2 weeks.

Be the “designated thinker”. Make sure everyone gets a cab or a room. Help keep the drama that could ruin someone’s special day to a minimum.

When/if you feel tempted, say this to yourself “I won’t drink, because I don’t drink”.

Write your days on your arm, near your watch. Each time you check the time, you also check your sober time.

If someone offers you one, say “no thanks. I’m good” and let that be enough.

Drink sodas with a swizzle stick. People won’t know it’s just soda.

Have a good time watching everyone else get primed for a crushing hangover, secure in the knowledge that you won’t be one of them.

Start a checking in thread here. Periodically excuse yourself, and check in here. Someone will always be here to give you encouragement.

5 Likes

Love this :+1:

When’s the wedding @Drewlev3 ? Day, date, the start time, and time zone? A few folks here could be on the lookout to be your sober wing-person, if we know when we need to keep an eye out :+1:
It doesn’t really matter though, there’s usually folks around. I just like the idea of lurking to help :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Lots of threads on this topic…here are two you may find helpful…

(Looking for Wedding Tips)

(Big boozy wedding)

2 Likes

Hello Drew! Congratulations on your two weeks sobriety brother. I’ve got a little over two years sobriety now, if I was in your position Id bring my sponsor with me for accountability. Explain to your friends your on a new journey in your life. Dont be ashamed of that. If you get shunned for not wanting to drink be polite and move on in your life. All my "friends " from the past are no longer in my circle. My circle consists of like minded people, or are striving to be better at living life on lifes terms. Hope this helps some. If your not comfortable dont go at all. Your life depends on you making better choices my friend. This disease we have WILL kill us.

3 Likes

Id try to think the day through in advance, when might you get tripped up by an unexpected drink thrust in your face? I lost nearly a year sober after attending a wedding without thinking in through first, that was a big lesson. We ate the meal and then the champagne glasses were filled for the toast, I hadn’t thought about it and there was the drink in front of me, I felt awkward and in the moment decided a sip would be fine to toast the couple, that sip led to an 8 month relapse!
I’m nearly a year sober now and I’ve been to weddings since with no issues, prepare yourself in advance, visualise the day and any potential slip up points and plan ahead. Know what your excuse is or just be prepared to say no thanks, plan what your drink will be in advance and keep your glass full and then just relax and enjoy yourself :blush: you can do it!

3 Likes