Weed, alcohol

So yesterday i went on Atv mountain trip with my friends. For 1 week I have been alcohol and weed free. My friends were drinking alcohol. I smoked the weed, but remained alcohol free. I know this wasn’t optimal but at least I didn’t drink for the day. But the problem is I know smoking weed is a gateway for me to drink . So now I’m telling myself maybe I can quit drinking but still smoke weed OCCASIONALLY. :thinking:. When I’m out with my friends. But I know in my heart this will probably cause me to drink when i get into a weakened state of mind.

2 Likes

Sounds like you know what you should do. I know when i first gave up alcohol i totally replaced it with smoking weed. Be careful of replacing one addiction for another

1 Like

Forget about the gateway notion. Weed can be just as addictive in itself. I know, I was in active addiction for 35 years. Success.

1 Like

I think you answered your own question. If weed is going to lead to drinking, then it seems like avoiding it is a good idea.

It sounds like you don’t want to drink or smoke weed. Maybe just close the door on that chapter of your life and move forward sober if that is what you want. Then you don’t need to stress about it anymore. Find what works best and feels right for you.

2 Likes

So no offense, but if you don’t drink alcohol which I am proud of myself for, very moderate drinker, you can’t smoke weed either?? I have never smoked cigarettes. Then you’ll be a tea totaller. Ugh!! Well, I totally wish you all the luck because I’m in the same boat!! :exploding_head::exploding_head: I really don’t know how to quit smoking weed because of the fear of not having anything to relax me!!

Everybodys definition of sobriety is different. This forum does promote abstinence

1 Like

I hear you. Haven’t had a drink in four days, but did a gummy yesterday. Not my gateway to alcohol, thank God, but clearly the gateway to a food binge. Jeezus, it’s always something. My whack-a-mole of vices.

1 Like

I hear you!! I spent decades substituting one addiction/habit/vice for another. It wasn’t until I started working on my recovery that I was able to put the most harmful behaviors behind me. Learning new ways of comforting myself, as well as being okay with all parts of myself (work in progress still) has helped me let go of the escape hatch method of life somewhat. I still escape…hello online, hello TS, hello sweets…and I am aware of it…a small win nonetheless.

3 Likes