Weighted blankets

My wife has trouble sleeping and has trouble with severe anxiety. My brother and sister-in-law got weighted blankets and have said it has helped them.

I’m a big YouTube guy and vetted them but I’m reaching out to this community for opinions as well. Any feedback is much appreciated.

4 Likes

I have had insomnia and anxiety for years. For Christmas I bought myself a weighted blanket and I LOVE it. It doesn’t completely solve my sleep issues, but it does cocoon me and make me feel calmer. I use a 15 lb one. Weight is based on your weight.

I recently sent a 10 lb one to my adult daughter who also has trouble sleeping and has anxiety and she also loves hers. Says she can feel it calming her nervous system and she loves the feelings of safety and calm it brings her. I am sending a 5 lb one to our 4 year old grandson, the little guy can always use some calming and centering.

So…big fan here! If you can afford one, then by all means get one. I recommend one with a removable and washable cover. Also, sleep with the blanket next to your body, and any other sheets and blankets over it. I got a Blanquil for myself and my daughter, expensive, but worth it for me. Based on Amazon reviews, I just purchased a Quility brand for the little guy.

4 Likes

Love the fidget blanket @Becsta!!

1 Like

In the Netherlands they also use pressure jackets to enlight anxiety by autism children. It works the same way as the blankets do.
I believe in it!

1 Like

I almost posted on here the other day suggesting them to people with anxiety or trouble sleeping. I bought one for my husband for Christmas and we both use it every night. They are AMAZING

1 Like

I got a weighted blanket for Christmas and I LOVE it!! My sleep has improved immensely. According to my Fitbit deep sleep has improved from about 10% to 13-15%. I even reached 18% once. (I think the good range is 12-18% for women my age.

I haven’t had any experience with alleviating anxiety…but that’s because I rarely have anxiety attacks at home.

I don’t have any trouble sleeping. I can sleep literally anywhere, with or without a blanket. But my wife is a restless sleeper and frequently suffers from insomnia. She says it’s like a hamster running on a wheel in her mind. She’s tried everything short of ambien.

I just now went and bought one of these for her. It’ll be a late anniversary gift. Thanks for posting this.

6 Likes

I definitely recommend getting one that is 10-12% of your body weight (what they recommend) because I got one for Xmas that is a little higher and it’s a little too heavy. I like to drap it over my legs but not my feet, that really helped with the weight issue

4 Likes

So my wife has a little anxiety, usually triggered by dicey career situations. She doesnt like to feel unstable. Shes never been able to sleep well though. Not quite insomnia, but seems like it’s kind of like that. Do weighted blankets help with insomnia?

They can help with sleep issues, yes. Also, just making you feel enveloped and secure is very calming. Order one from Amazon and try it out for a week or two, then you can return it free of charge if it isn’t helping.

3 Likes

I think it could help with insomnia if the sleep issues are related to anxiety.

I was always able to fall asleep but my sleep was very light and I would often wake up in the middle of the night. I sleep right through now.

3 Likes