What are your ‘getting through the cravings’ methods?

hi, everyone! i just relapsed :disappointed: and am looking for new ways to push through the alcohol and cigg cravings. what was working great for me was going to the corner store, buying a sweet treat or drink and satisfying my taste buds that way. it worked so well. but now i’m week 3+ of no sugar and have a hard time distracting myself using that method. i came home, cleaned, couldn’t be bothered with anything that’s on the tv so i talked my resistant side down and had one beer which turned into many, many more. i’m heartbroken.

so my question: what methods do you use to get through the cravings?

1 Like

I use sparkling water at the moment. I was a big beer drinker so having a can in my hand helps. I am a strong proponent of reaching out. Call someone else in sobriety before you make a “good decision”. Good luck and remember we are all in this together. Step one: don’t drink, step two: call someone.

1 Like

that’s a really good idea, T. as a beer drinker myself, that’s a sound plan to have a can of perrier or similar. will definitely reach out to sobriety community and come back here as a tool to get through the hard days :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m eating chocolate ore icecream :blush: But I read you are eating sugarless…
Maybe you are to hard for yourself? I read somewere: save your ass now and mind how big he is later. A relapse is hard to deal with. Better eat some sugar to avoid it?

3 Likes

@Uniek is right… Don’t beat yourself up. Getting over addiction is hard enough without the added stressors of abstaining from sugar… Take one thing at a time…
For me I did a couple of things… Replaced the wine in my hand with some really nice sparkling water and splashed out on some boutique cordials. Then I channelled the extra creativity that I had from not drinking into writing… Just write… Anything… You’ll be surprised how quickly the time goes.
Stay focused, stay strong…

2 Likes

Going to a meeting, calling a friend in sobriety, taking a mother blessed nap, crawling in bed and reading, splitting wood. And yes, a sweet treat now and again (more now than again).

2 Likes

I started reading and listening to books. At my local library you can log in to their webpage and download ebooks and audio books for FREE. When I’m reading or listening I’m not thinking about anything else and it might be actually helping my mind. Since I quit, I’m averaging about 1 book every 3 days. I love action thriller and crime stories because they keep me wanting to see what’s next. For me since I need some type of addiction in my life reading and walking( while listening to a book or podcast) has really helped. Good luck!

3 Likes

Treating my addiction like I’m deathly allergic to it.

2 Likes

Gym and fitness is a huge part for me. The more I drink, the less shape I am in, and my performance and stamina decreases. I am trying to make getting fit more important that my desire to drink. Its hard because the results are not immediate. I stopped drinking for about 5 days now and Ive lost 7lbs. So i am getting the motivation I need to stay sober. Find something you are passionate about. Sometimes you gotta fake it till you make it. This worked for me at least because fitness was always a part of my life. In the down time, staying busy is key. There is always something to do. Find things to occupy your time that are not or will not trigger your desire to drink. And if it gets too loud, I found the best way for me at least is to get out of the house and run. I live by the beach, so I just go there and run on the sand or just sit and look at the waves.

3 Likes

i love action and thriller stories, too! any recommendations to load on my kindle? :slight_smile:

good freaking idea.

i love working out, too. going to the gym is so much fun for me. i’m concentrating on eating really clean and spending my time outside of work walking my dog and going to spin, etc. :muscle:

1 Like

I’m still early to the no- drinking thing, but I’ve been cigarette-free for 147 days now, after smoking a pack a day for 28 years. What got me through the early cravings was that I told EVERYONE I was quitting, and posted my progress on Facebook everday. When I desperately wanted a smoke, I thought about how I would have to stop posting those updates (or lie). Facebook friends were being really supportive, and it was kind of a high to read through every gif and comment and like, every day. That, and dumdum suckers got me through, and a long long long list of reasons that I taped to my patio door.

The closest I came to smoking was when I went home for the holidays. My dad smokes. He was headed outside for a smoke and I said I was coming too. My sister sat on me, and my husband held me down. My dad told me he wouldn’t share one with me. I sobbed. I’d been looking forward to that smoke all the way across the country. Just one with my dad. I hated everyone when they wouldn’t let me smoke, but I’m grateful now. That would not have happened if I had not told everyone that I quit.

Now, I hardly think about smoking. When I do, I tell my husband I want a smoke, and he says I love you. And that’s the end of it.

2 Likes

that’s a really great story, N :two_hearts: the last time i quit for the long term was a time when i told everyone about my progress. i was reeeeally proud. but it came to screeching halt when i was in london for the holidays, where the drinking culture is so strong. i caved and unfortunately the people i was with we’re giddy that they got to drink with me again. i’m still rebounding from that. so taking accountability out loud ABSOLUTELY helps. thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Yeah, the drinking is a different ball game. In some ways, smoking was easy because none of my friends smoke, and I felt dirty and guilty and ashamed whenever I snuck off for a smoke. But everyone drinks. I don’t have friends who get crazy drunk or anything, but there’s still alcohol at every social gathering. This is only my 6th day without drinking, and I haven’t had to deal with a social situation yet. I did go to lunch with a friend, and we could have gone downtown, but instead I suggested Panera because if we’d gone downtown I don’t think I could have resisted a beer. So, my way of dealing with cravings right now is to not have it in the house and not go anywhere they serve alcohol. I know that can’t last forever, but it’s working so far.

I also wrote this. Note that I don’t have and solution ideas for celebrating or end-of-day.

2 Likes

freaking brill. i will be taking time this weekend to do the same kind of chart! and it reminds, that when i feel like maybe nobody feels the way i do at a time of a craving - i’m wrong. i sometimes suffer through horrible obsessive thoughts about drinking - should i or shouldnt i, etc. they can last hours! anywho, i love the chart :slight_smile:

1 Like

When you make yours, please share! I’d love to see it.

1 Like

Send me your favorite also. Mine are: Lee Child-jack Reacher, Robert Crais- The ones with Joe Pike, Some Tom Clancy, Brad Thor, Vince Flynn. David Baldacci, Thomas Harris, Stephen King, Dan Brown, Michael Connelly, James Patterson. Those should keep you busy for a while.

@Ninetales wil do! @Onmyway a few that i’ve read lately are Prey by Michael Crichton, The Lost City of Z by David Grann (such a good book - lame film IMO), American Sniper (read the book before i watched the film. loved both but the book was incredibly more in depth and colorful than film - typical).