What books are you all reading?

Hey there hello.
I’m 32 days into stopping smoking and drinking. I’ve had a busy time running up to Christmas but today I’m lighting my fire, putting my feet up and reading. I have a few books on the go at the minute. Phantoms- short haunting tales.
The taking of Annie Thorne-C.J.Tudor.
The Testements- Margaret Atwood
The institute- Stephen king
And I’m listening to American Gods on audible. I was wondering what books you are all reading and if like me you find it helps you in quitting your addictions?

5 Likes

Food Lovers Companion

Perfect for people like me with non-existent attention span.

3 Likes

I am in love with this book
2020 goals. Say yes more
As long as it doesnt involve drinking
Trigger warning: she does talk about drinking in the book. However for me, the introvert vs extrovert experience is what is important

9 Likes

My Krav Maga program includes regular assigned reading. One book every 90 days. Getting started on Q1’s book

3 Likes

I just finished “acid for the children” the memoir of flea the bassist from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I highly recommend if you like rock music.

4 Likes

I’m reading “On Earth we are briefly gorgeous” by Ocean Vuong. It’s absolutely beautiful. Before that finished “a gentleman in Moscow” which I really enjoyed.

I’ve always been a big reader but had really slowed down the last years while I was drinking. I’m back to being a voracious reader since I’ve been sober.

4 Likes

I have A Gentleman in Moscow on my list, I keep forgoing it for other books which catch my interest.

I just finished reading When The Killings Done by TC Boyle (not a murder mystery like it sounds) and Very Nice by Marcy Dermansky. Next up I think is World’s End by TC Boyle. I am reading his older books I missed previously.

3 Likes

This looks interesting!

1 Like

I’m currently reading these…

But I also got several books for Christmas to read…plus two books I already read that I need to exchange. I definitely need to read more in 2020!!!

4 Likes

Daisy Jones was a good read, overhyped IMHO, but enjoyable. The author has some other good novels as well.

3 Likes

just finished stories of your life and others by ted chiang and loved it. about to start the sparrow by mary doria russell.

i read a lot of sci fi in 2019, and had thought about reading more outside the genre in 2020, but i have been given many sci fi suggestions to read lately. so 2020 might likely contain a lot of sci fi reads for me as well.

3 Likes

12 steps and 12 traditions

6 Likes

Just finished The Night Circus which was really good. Just started The Goldfinch and also reading Naked Mind (again). :smiley:

3 Likes

The Night Circus was fantastic!!!

2 Likes

The Bodhi Tree Grows in L.A.: Tales of a Buddhist Monk in America

3 Likes

It’s douchey but hear me out:

The Swolly Bible - Dom Mazetti

It’s about working out and all the unwritten gym rat rules in our society.

It’s very satirical, but that’s the magic of it, because you know you’ve done a few things in that book lol

3 Likes

I’m in the middle of these two.

4 Likes

9 Likes

had mostly read sci fi last year, trying to get out of the genre a bit more for 2020. currently reading the heart is a lonely hunter

How to Murder Your Life by Cat Marnell.

3 Likes