What do you do to motivate yourself each day in recovery?

I have this taped next to my bed to read each morning and when again when I go to sleep. I also have a copy in my daily calendar. What aids/reminders do others use?

Begin each day with optimism, End each day with gratitude

Begin Be optimistic!

• Reaffirm – I will not drink today
  • Recall – Why I am doing this
  • Read – Daily Reflections
  • Reflect – Pray & Meditate

Live In the moment, without expectations

End Contemplate

• How am I feeling emotionally?
  • How am I doing spiritually?
  • How have I taken care of my body?
  • What did I do for my recovery today?
  • Who have I helped today?
  • Am I holding any regrets or resentments?
  • What am I grateful for? Give them thanks!
8 Likes

i have a note on my phone that i reference and add to :grinning: and whenever i crave, i take a deep breath and remind myself that one sip will take me right back to where i was (no thanks!).

1 Like

I realize how old i am and look to my past and see very little to be proud of.
That lights a fire in my heart.
Weird thing is, even though depression cripples me, it drives me as well, it just depends on the cause of that depression.
I wanna be in control and present instead of being an audience member to my own life.

3 Likes

Get out of bed say good morning god when i used to say good god its morning and get on with my day ,

3 Likes

:laughing: Good one!

1 Like

I use the calm app most days.

And just try and relax into the day

I say something like this to me:
“Whatever you wanna do, good or bad, you can do that tomorrow. But for this day just do your best”
I really still try just to think about the next 24 hours :+1:

A few weeks ago I came to the point I decided to quit and stay sober but my mind and body was not really ready for this yet. I was using the drugs still daily but at that point every time I did it I regret it because I knew that this was not what I really want. I felt like I cheated myself and this feeling was getting stronger each day so every time I was in the situation that I was sitting there and regret my decision I wrote down my feelings. I write a lot about my feelings and stuff like “I do it again and I hate myself for that”… And every time I felt like I’m getting weak and can’t stay sober I read the textes I wrote just to remind myself that I definitely would regret it again and that it’s not worth. I used my own thoughts as a reminder for myself… I think it’s a really personal way to deal with my addiction but it helps me a lot.

1 Like