What exactly is Codependency?

So, I feel like I understand my addiction pretty well. Maybe better than an average addict. Maybe not. But, I always hear about people having Codependency issues. I understand this as being some sort of problem with dealing with others and their own problems.

So, what is Codependency? Really? Like tell me like I’m a 5th grader. I dont get it. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I swear I have a good answer for this, but I keep either getting too complicated or too simple lol let me ruminate and get back to you

2 Likes

The most succinct way I can explain codependency is losing your sense of self to another person. Your whole sense of worth becomes tied to their view of you rather than a solid, stable sense of individuality. Does that make sense?

4 Likes

“Codependency is a controversial concept for a dysfunctional helping relationship where one person supports or enables another person’s addiction, poor mental health, immaturity, irresponsibility, or under-achievement.” (Wikipedia)

“It is an emotional and behavioral condition that affects an individual’s ability to have a healthy, mutually satisfying relationship. It is also known as “relationship addiction” because people with codependency often form or maintain relationships that are one-sided, emotionally destructive and/or abusive.” (Mental Health America)

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! Makes better sense now.

@LyLyC amazing example. Totally solidified what I was picturing it being like.