What gifts has sobriety/recovery given you?

What are some of the reasons you like sobriety? I need something to look forward to. I loved alcohol and I’m a fun and happy drunk but now I drink too much.
So, what has sobriety given you?

15 Likes

For me everything has changed. But that’s not of huge interest to you I think. We all have our own lives. And you have to find your own reasons and you’ll find out what they are for you.

Except this one thing: my drinking, just like yours, was out of control. I had and I have no control over my drinking. The only way to gain that control back was to totally abstain from drinking. As I did. I’m in control again by being sober. And that in itself, that gaining back of control over my life, means everything. And changed everything.

21 Likes

Its given me freedom now. I dont have to deal with court shit. Im a million times happier. I have real friends that became family now. I can buy my own things and be proud of it. I have so much fun doing things now. I enjoy waking up every morning now. It just gets better in everything im doing. You can do it. It takes time and its not easy. The more you get past drinking or using the more you start feeling better about your self.

9 Likes

Tbh, I fancied myself a fun happy drunk too, my close friends and family would disagree, I was loud, obnoxious, annoying, and often inappropriate. Old family home movies confirmed. :man_shrugging:

Anyhow, the best thing sobriety has given me is my daughter.

My wife had 5 miscarriages over the years, while we weren’t planning, we weren’t preventing, each one was devastating.

The last one, we had the fetus tested and they found a genetic anomaly that was likely caused by my seed. Alcohol and drug abuse causes genetic mutations in DNA, it looked like thats what was happening.

3 months after I quit, my wife got pregnant again. 9 months later, Penelope was born and was perfectly healthy.

She turned 3 in August and is my whole life.

And second is the freedom of never having to drink again!!

32 Likes

Today, a Sunday, I went to the gym, the store, and spent time with my pets. If I were still drinking, I would have drank all day. That’s one example of how every day is impacted.

I get to be present in my relationships.
I get to have peace on mind in the mornings.
I get the ability to laugh authentically.
I get extra time and money.
I get to know myself for who I truly am (still in process)

As others said, it’s a whole new life.

19 Likes

So much more than I could have imagined. “Promises”. Where do I start. Health, forgiviness, a big one Laughing today is very GENUINE NOW. I have noticed more self confidence, I don’t sweat the small stuff anymore.
The list goes on and on. Just remember they call “today/right now’- the PRESENT for a reason”. I am learning to stay happy and fun 24 hrs at a time.

14 Likes

Im almost 6 months sober. Ive gained self confidence. Ive gained pride in abstaining. Im happy and not depressed all the time. Ive gained better relationships with family. They say im more present. Real laughter that you feel in your soul. Joy . Hope. Learning myself. Greater spirituality. The list is long and im finding new rewards daily.

Sobriety is worth it if you put work into it

14 Likes

I am looking forward to being proud of myself. This will be my 3rd try at quitting and the last 2 times I’ve been ashamed of myself for giving in and drinking. I need this!

12 Likes

Freedom, in so many ways. Clarity. Less drama. More money. Calm. I could go on…

5 Likes

Time. Sanity. Peace.

6 Likes

Sobriety has given me the ability to grow in all areas of my life. Better son, friend, employee, etc.

If you think you’re good at something while being an alcoholic just imagine how good you’ll be when you’re sober.

12 Likes

Sobriety gives truth and truth gives freedom. I am looking for it. Still struggling. But when I was sober one year I was free. Now I feel a slave

9 Likes

Yes indeed!

2 Likes

I honestly could have never imagined my life to be this good. Its hard sometimes for sure but I can actually manage my emotions, my trauma, and my stress WITHOUT drugs which was something I thought I could never do. I remember telling myself over 22 years of addiction, that I would always need something to cope, and I proved myself wrong. Its given me a purpose, direction in life, better relationships, given me the opportunity to be an amazing wife and mom, less financial hardships, good food to eat, better health, better work ethic, better sleep, genuine love for myself and others, a whole lot less guilt and shame, less worrying and stress, more joy for the little things in life, and the beginning of self love. I no longer am struggling to just barely survive. I am thriving in life now! @Mama4994 There is so much uncertainty at 1st about what life will be like for us when we have nothing to turn to, but girl literally the possibilities and gifts of recovery just keeping coming. Just stay sober and give urself that opportunity to see what recovery can do for u :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I have my dignity. I have the time and energy to do things I really enjoy. I love early mornings without headaches and hangovers. I am physically fit and happier all day long.

I drank a lot and was a happy drunk. I don’t get to be inebriated but I do get to experience peace and calm and the joy of being healthy.

11 Likes

Sobriety has given me a chance to see how much I underestimated myself in addiction. Sometimes when I’m struggling I ground myself quickly by reminding myself that even if I discount the obvious health implications, even if I convince myself that I honestly don’t care if people want me to succeed, there are dozens of tiny things every week that I do that were unthinkable without a few too many stiff drinks 8 months ago. Nothing earth shattering -dentist appointments, driving lessons, hoovering, writing music and playing guitar before 12pm without the shakes, eating breakfast, mundane things. There are bigger things. I’ve lost both my parents in the space of 6 months (mum while I was in rehab, dad via a brain trauma 5 days after I left). If I wasn’t sober in this period I have no idea how I would have processed that. I don’t want to think about that scenario because I know full well how horrific it would be and how much I would be letting them down. Im grateful for that more than I even think I understand yet. Sorry for the long post.

14 Likes

Things sobriety has given me:
I have a cleaner house.
I have joy in my life again and the energy to try new hobbies and enjoy nature.
I can look people in the eyes again.
I am never embarrassed by my own behavior.
I am kinder to myself and those I love.
I am financially smarter.
My body is healthier and I’ve lost 15 pounds with minimal diet changes. I never have a gross hangover greasy food binge day anymore.
I am hopeful for a bright future and setting goals to make it happen.

Things alcohol gave me:
Crippling hangovers full of regrets.
Debt.

I’m happier on the sober side of my street. Good post! Lots of good reminders to make that healthy change. Stick with it.

9 Likes

Sobriety has given me my life back.

I was never somebody who could “just drink less”; I was always drinking to excess. I foolishly began to believe that I could give or take alcohol, but as time went on, I found myself drinking day after day, week after week. My entire life revolved around alcohol, and how I could find ways to indulge in it. If something didn’t involve alcohol, I began to shrug it off and not involve myself. It was part of my routine, and part of my life.

Now, I can do anything I like, and I don’t feel such an urge to go to the pub and drink. I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything, and now, I’m happier for it. I’m present in every moment, and I can enjoy life the way that it was meant to be enjoyed.

12 Likes

To be reliable and accountable to commitments made, you must first be accountable to your self.

I am getting shit done.

First of Nov I’ll have sixty days sober and tobacco free. Each is a mutual trigger for me. I stii crave a smoke from time to time to time. I have nicotine gum but haven’t chewed a piece for over a month.

I’m gonna be okay. I know it.

13 Likes

I’m happy to have found this thread because after 659 days, I was losing sight of the positives and starting to entertain ideas of drinking again.
Thank you for posting.

Sobriety has given me:

Better health. I thought that my deteriorating condition was down to my age (I’m 51 years young), but it turns out, it was largely down to what I was putting into my body. I now play football again, a couple of times a week. Incredible.
Greater clarity of thought - and this gets better every day.
I’m so much better at my job - despite not being terrible at it before. I had no idea how much alcohol was holding me back.
I can trust myself to do whatever I need to do. I can even trust myself to remember to do little things that I never could before.
I am not full of self loathing anymore. I didn’t even realise that I was before. I thought it was just the way humans talked to themselves. I only realised it was a thing once it disappeared.
My relationship with my children is so much better. I would like to think that it was ok before - but it is clearly better now.
I am financially much better off - although I have put a lot of the money that I’ve saved into cryptocurrency, so it remains to be seen how that might pan out. :woozy_face:
I have more energy to do things. I am more interested in doing new things. I’m more inclined to take the time to catch up with friends or to contact my parents.
I enjoy my nights out much more now. Instead of greedily seeking out booze and always looking at the next drink before I’d even started the one in my hand, I can just relax and enjoy whatever it is I’m doing, and enjoy whatever conversations I’m having - often watching people who are drinking just getting more and more out of shape - safe in the knowledge that I can drive home and that I’ll feel great in the morning.
Quite simply EVERY SINGLE aspect of my life is better.
Thank you for helping me to realise this.

15 Likes