What is the #1 thing that helped you quit drinking?

Would like to know the #1 thing that helped you quit drinking?

4 Likes

Alcoholics Anonymous and my higher power

7 Likes

I did 25 day rehab and continuous AA for me. I discovered how to love myself and a new will to live. My best wishes for you!

5 Likes

This forum :smiley:

12 Likes

Another one for AA. Helps me keep it in the day and gives me all the tools.

6 Likes

I discovered this forum after my 1st sober year and am glad to have this in my sobriety tool box. You can never have to many friends in recovery! :grin:

7 Likes

So true!! This forum has been so helpful in so many ways!

4 Likes

Being court ordered to go for an evaluation because my kids were taken from us and placed into foster care.

It lead me into IOP again, it lead me into AA again, it lead me into having faith again

It lead me into sober living again.

10 Likes

Number 1 I truly had to admit/resign/surrender to the fact that I can’t drink. I had tried stopping a few times but always went right back to drinking like I had before. I can never have 1 drink again. Once I accepted that it was easier for me to do the the one thing that I was afraid to do before. That was walk into an AA meeting.

Was is admitting that I can’t drink? Was it AA? Are they both the same thing??? I don’t know, but at this point it doesn’t matter.

10 Likes

Pulmonary embolism…

4 Likes

Going regularly to AA, this forum, and finding a spiritual connection again.

5 Likes

This one thing.
With this came the determination to get my arse into gear and do something about it!!

4 Likes

God. Then I would add AA. To stay sober I would include this app because it introduced me to a lot of awesome people. Way to many to mention without forgetting someone.

3 Likes

While on active duty, NJP CO awarded me 21 day outpatient rehab. Then told me to shape up or ship out. Rest I owe to AA/NA.

4 Likes

I was going to say almost exactly that.
I spent years knowing how bad my drinking was without caring, then over 5 years fighting it.
It wasn’t until I realised that I genuinely can’t touch it, ever, that things started to fall into place.
It allowed me to book myself into a 12 step rehab knowing that it was the right thing to do.
I don’t know what ‘the most important’ thing I’ve done is, if there is one, but that was the beginning of my journey into sobriety and another life.

3 Likes

Suicide, I had to make a choice to get better or go down the hole. I’m blessed I’ve made the right decision 6 months coming soon.

10 Likes

That depends.

What got me to first quit drinking? The fear of losing my wife.

What kept me from drinking once I started getting my brain chemistry back to normal? Not wanting to die, and finally realizing that asking for help doesn’t make you less of a man, it makes you a better man.

9 Likes

Deep thinking. Hours at a time. Brutal honesty with myself and others. Scary blackouts…

5 Likes

I just knew it was time, I wanted control back of me, I was sick of alcohol taking priority. I also had hellish hangovers and I thought about how many days I lost because I was hungover. I never want to have that feeling again. I love having a clear head everyday. This forum has been such a great tool as well!

9 Likes

Going out all night doing drugs and being reckless with random guys I met at a bar. Realizing how dangerous the situations I was putting myself in and my suicidal depression that came along with it. Embarrassment for police looking for me after a wellness call was made for them. Feeling like shit. Having no memory. Lots of things

4 Likes