What to Expect When You Stop Drinking

Prior to when I quit drinking, I read about all the withdrawal symptoms I could expect and most sites listed pretty much the same symptoms, but when it came down to it, there was much more than what I read about.

I am going to attempt to list the most common symptoms that you may experience when you quit drinking that aren’t necessarily talked about.

Each category may have symptoms that are polar opposites, half people may experience one while the other half experience the other, or you may experience both at different times.

Mood: Early on you may feel sad, depressed, like you lost a friend, or are in mourning or you may feel euphoric, unstoppable, optimistic.

Energy: You may feel tired all the time, lethargic and just plain Blah. Or you may be bursting with energy, restless and full of juice.

Sleep: You may have a hard time falling asleep and/or staying asleep. You may experience night sweats that wake you up. You might wake up in the middle of the night feeling fully awake only to be dead tired an hour later. Or you may sleep 18 hours a day and have a hard time waking up in the morning.

Dreams: You may experience vivid dreams related to drinking. When these occur, you may feel guilty, shameful upon waking. You may even wake up with the feeling of having a hangover.

Appetite: You may crave sugar and sweets, even if you rarely have before. Or you may not have much of an appetite at all.

Bowels: You may not have a regular schedule and solid consistently for quite a while.

This is all I can think of now. I’ll add to this as I see them come up.

23 Likes

Great thread Dan!!

3 Likes

I think the one that caused the most issues for me was being super irritable.

9 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I have quit before for long periods of time and have drank more heavily at others, but I definitely built up a tolerance over the last few years and have had some side effects recently.

I was just looking more into some of the symptoms myself, as I have the opposite reaction with sugar. I have always had an awful sweet tooth but going on day 5 now and it doesn’t sound good at all, which is great because I want to be overall healthier anyways. Just interesting!

2 Likes

Spot on! I would add easily agitated and irritable to the potential mood disturbances in the first couple days.

8 Likes

Mind: At first you might be euphoric about the fact that youve no longer sluggish feeling or hangover when you wake up. Your face and eyes get instantly more brighter. This euphoria will pass, but it will probably come back later as more easy feeling. Cannot find the right vocabulary, but meaning euphoria is finally not a very nice feeling, it can be very hard to handle.

3 Likes

OMG!!! On my day 1, I was trying to write out the structure of a song me and my band partner were working on, I could barely hold the pen. She looked at me and asked if I was ok, I tolder her I can’t do this right now. She said that’s ok, lets take a break, if you can’t in a few minutes we can try again another day. Bless her heart! She had no idea I quit the night before, and that was our first ever band meeting ever.

4 Likes

The (drinking) DREAMS really freaked me out… Waking up thinking your hungover… Only to be super relieved & elated that you’re as sober as a judge and it was just a vivid dream.

4 Likes

Yep, definitely irritability!

4 Likes

I’m still waiting for them to go away!

2 Likes

Mind: eager to ger everything good that sobriety includes immediately. Disappointment when that doesnt happen.
Emotions: among irritability also vulnerability. Easy to get hurt and that has a lot to do with urges to use

1 Like

Yeah… Tell me about it… They really freaked me out. What day are you on? I’m on day 22…mine stopped… I think like a little over 2 weeks.

Nice thread Dan.
The journey is definitely a rollercoaster! And unfortunately we are sat in the front seat!:smile:

4 Likes

Thanks, for sharing. I’m thinking of quitting drinking. I started, about the age of 13/14, & I’m 41 now. Highly functional alcoholic, but I feel like I’m in a rut, & in need of a change in life. A positive change.

1 Like

If you do decide to quit drinking, it’s also worth mentioning that the things Dan listed here for the most part are temporary and their intensities will be far less with the more effort you put in to each area and they also over lap. E.g. You may be in a sad mood so the sugar may lift it. But the sugar may also stop you sleeping very well which may have an impact on the intensity of your dreams. And this will almost certainly have an impact on your energy levels which may or may not decide the kinds of food you eat which may effect your digestion.

The only thing I still get is the weird dreams and the sweet-tooth.

2 Likes

Shakes, dry mouth, blurred vision, anxiety, clammy skin, cramps, tremors, racing heart!

1 Like

You hit everything right on the head. Especially with the sweets. I’ve never been a fan of sweets but lately its been a want for them. That’s something I was not aware of during my sobriety. But I caught on before I created a new sugar habit I never had before and gain unnecessary weight. Water is my new love

1 Like