What to say to turn down alcohol?

I went to a sincerely simple wedding, where champagne was handed out and I said, no thank you I don’t drink… I was surprised 1st at myself for not accepting the drink it looked so delicious, 2nd for saying that I don’t drink and 3rd no hassle from anyone !!! Not even from the bride who wanted to have margaritas afterwards… wow and kudos made 20days … whew!!!

9 Likes

Just wanted to bump this post, having seen a few people on other threads go to Xmas parties and have a drink with a bit of context for me going to my work Xmas do.

I’m over 7 months alcohol free. I didn’t go to a party where drink would be around for the first couple of months because I wasn’t sure if I could make it. When I did go to a party, I went with a plan. I would strongly recommend anyone who is on the fence about whether or not they could resist a drink to just not go. Seriously, the world will keep turning if you don’t!

1 Like

I have 9 months this week, and I will not got to a Christmas party this year. There may be drinking at a Christmas dinner, but they know I dont drink now. The drinking is confined to a glass of wine per person. That I know I can deal with. The “fun” I will be missing out on isnt worth my sobriety.

5 Likes

Accepting our own limits and living within them… Everyone is different and we have to set our own benchmarks for what will work for us.

Important for all areas of life, not just in relation to our sobriety!

1 Like

Just Say, “No thank you” We all have to learn to say these words without explaining ourselves.

1 Like

This is my favourite suggestion.

NO is a complete sentence😉

4 Likes

Oh, no thanks is what I go with 90% of the time.

3 Likes

This may be TMI, but I learned this lesson based on a different battle field. I found out a few years ago that I’m not able to have a baby the “normal way”. I hated it when people would ask when I was going to. My husband would always just give me the look and wait for me to respond with an excuse… We just aren’t ready yet, We’ll know when we are ready, We want to establish our careers first… I came up with all of the excuses. But my excuses were always followed up with more input such as… You aren’t getting any younger, You know the clock is ticking, There’s no better time than the present. I was over it, so I just stared being honest… Yeah, I’m infertile and we are ok with it just being the 2 of us. This usually shut people up and made them realize that they shouldn’t be diving into other people’s lives so deeply without being invited. I’m trying to take the same approach with this. When people offer a drink I say…No thanks, I don’t drink. If they don’t drop the subject and try to follow up with a “Come on!”. I will say… No thanks, I’ve drank enough for 10 life times so now I’m done for the rest of the one I have left. I usually get the head tilt, a respectful nod and a pat on the shoulder or back. Plus the honesty feels great! :blush:

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I hate the baby questions. So invasive. Sometimes I just want to say yes, I have three kids so they will shut up.

No problem. We need to learn not to be ashamed or embarrassed by certain things in our lives. Being sober is something we shouldn’t be ashamed of. We should be proud that we are winning our battles and that we have a great group of people just like us to help us in our fight.

2 Likes