What was the 1st thing you noticed enjoying as a sober person?

Hi everyone, I’m newly sober (1st time, day two).
Tonight, I decided to check out a new tv show. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to sit and focus on a show, take in all the comedy and just laugh without the manic influence of alcohol.
It occurred to me that it’s been a long time since I’ve had the focus, energy and sober mind to watch a show and absorb the story. It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to just sit and be stimulated yet content without alcohol. It was an eye opener for me.

What are things you realized you enjoy doing while sober that made sobriety a little less tough?

14 Likes

Breathing and existing guilt free!

7 Likes

The amount of energy I have for my family. Hey 2 days is amazing man. Keep climbing the mountain, there are blue skies above the clouds.

6 Likes

I enjoyed not being drunk/drinking.

3 Likes

Clear, bright mornings free from shame and guilt for one!!!

11 Likes

I think I’m enjoying life. Finally, wholeheartedly

3 Likes

You took the words right out of my mouth :laughing: I was going to say breathing and living first and foremost. I was so close to death so often when I was using. So now I enjoy actually living my life everyday :pray:

4 Likes

Indeed. This is a great one :pray:

3 Likes

Living in the moment and actually being present for it, rather than a drunken shell just letting life pass me by.

Also waking up with no Beer Fear and thoughts of “WTF did I get up to yesterday, I hope I didn’t do something bad”

Congratulations on hitting day 2 as well. The first steps are the hardest, remember this is a marathon, not a sprint, baby steps are good, move slowly, not backwards!

4 Likes

It definitely has to be knowing that anytime I need to do anything I can just get up and do it. I don’t need to question myself first whether I’m too drunk or not!

2 Likes

Besides most of the things people mention above, for me it’s also that I have so much less garbage to take out! Lol! :wastebasket:

4 Likes

How thankful I was this thanksgiving. I was present. I showed up. And I enjoyed it in a different way this year!

5 Likes

Laughter, weight gain and less guilt ridden on a daily.
Plus, I’m grounded more on an emotional level and.now, even before reaching yet another 30days, I can handle hearing “NO” and not freak out or lose my cool.
The world is full of awe and wonder again…kinda like MANY things are still possible even at 46 years old.
Having gratitude in my heart even for the small stuff is HUGE for me right now.

Suicide and that liar whispering in my ear giving thoughts to do such gruesome crap has ceased. Yet I will never forget that I just recently came out of that dark rabbit hole.

I’m striving to be more Child-Like. (Not to be confused with childish)

Thanks for asking this question. I do enjoy this app and com.unity. God knows I need sober people in my life.

Thanks,

Alison :white_heart::sunflower:

5 Likes

I enjoy the clear mind I have in the morning and my energy level. Most important no guilt from the day before.

6 Likes

No hangovers and all the money I’ve saved by not buying alcohol are my two favorite things about sobriety.

5 Likes

Welcome Mary! Mornings…I now enjoy mornings and watching the sun rise.

5 Likes

Looking people in the eye is different for me; I would avert their eyes if I was hungover. :see_no_evil::blush:

5 Likes

Being able to handle life’s issues and challenges without needing a drink stands out the most for me. There’s still many headaches and problems, but they’re not the mountains they used to be and even when it’s major issues, I’m not completely overwhelmed because I don’t numb myself. Congratulations on day 2! It’s not easy but it’s worth it, things get better even on the worst days

3 Likes

Having money in my bank account for sure. I got so use to my pay being gone the same week I got it.
Got paid, 2 weeks later I check my account before going out and theres still cash there, I was so use to never having cash that I panicked a bit wondering what I didn’t pay lol

5 Likes

Nature in general but my favorite thing now is sober sunrises

5 Likes