What was the moment when you realised

I have a moment of realization every next morning today I’m in the same situation I drank to much last night l, woke up with the fear of what I’d said to my boyfriend as I can’t remember a thing. Its embarrassing so I’m hoping and praying this will be my last moment and I actually start my journey of lowing my alcohol intake so I can stand strong and say no I’ve had enough now and also limit it to just in the house…really helps reading posts like this though, family members think I have a problem yet seem to ignore it due to embarrassment hoping I’ll find the support I need her instead and can be my own incentive! :innocent::pray::heart:

1 Like

Hi i tried to limit my drinking for years but it always ended up the same way I had to completely stop and it wasn’t until I went to a aa meeting that I realised I wasn’t alone in how I drank when I put a drink or drug in my body I always want more there is no control x

5 Likes

Hi
Maybe this will be if my plan doesn’t work, but I’m hoping that I’ll be able to balance myself and hopefully get the best of both but I am conscious of the problems that could come from this and am aware that if it doesn’t work I will be saying goodbye to alcohol all together

1 Like

Lots of folks here have walked the path you are attempting, myself included. Lots of us have found attempted moderation an exercise is futility, myself included. Lots of us have had to admit that 10 drinks will never be enough, and 1 drink is too many. Myself included.

Not saying you will fail in this experiment, but my personal experience, and that of most of us here is that you will find it as equally futile as we did, and conclude that total abstinence from alcohol is the only path to success.

5 Likes

I’m willing to take that into consideration consideration but I do want to try this way first I’m okay being firm in the sense I drink once a week but I want to try that when I do drink I want to be able to proportion it I get everyone’s situation is different but I want one final attempt at this before I say goodbye to alcohol

I get where you are at, as I did the same thing, many times. Wish you well and hope that regardless, you will stay here, learn, share, and grow in understanding.

2 Likes

Thanks yeah! I think this site will become part of my every day life already hooked some much inspiring stuff on here! :heart:

3 Likes

I started using this app daily. That was over 110 days ago. Still sober and still using it daily.

7 Likes

That’s actually amazing! Think I’ve come across a life changer with this app!

1 Like

That plus I am a hard headed individual and am driven to stay sober.

3 Likes

Hey Shannen. Thanks for sharing with us and I’m happy you decided to join this awesome group full of amazing people (like you are :hugs: ).

How many of “us” already mentioned - this way unfortunately mostly doesn’t work. But I can absolutely understand your temptantion to find by yourself what’s the best for you. I even believe that it’s the only way how to become know what is or what is not working for you. I cross my fingers for you that whatever way you’ll ever walk in your life that it’s going to be a happy one :four_leaf_clover:

Just remember that if you ever feel down or like that you need a help, we are here. This group and app was lifechanging for me and it gave me the strength to stay sober with not even a drop of alcohol. I know thay I don’t want or need it anymore. But it also took me years of trying to just limit my drinking… For me this way is not possible as I always ended up bad. But I don’t mind that I won’t drink ever more as I am not missing this drug at all :wink:

3 Likes

This time… when I realized my wife stopped getting upset about my drinking. That hit me hard.

3 Likes

When my husband threatened to take the kids and leave.

3 Likes

I embarassed myself in front of my 14 year old daughter. Something very minor in her eyes, but it really opened mine.

2 Likes

This quickly became my only social media.

2 Likes

So many times before but the absolute “this needs to end” moment was when I OD-ed.

1 Like

I need some of your willpower!

I feel you there! I cant keep off it

1 Like

I crashed my car and missed my son’s birthday. That night, I got home and he told me that he thought I forgot about him. Not just his birthday - but him. My whole world, moon and stars thought I forgot about him. I stayed out, drank and asked my Mom to pick him up from his Dad’s house because I couldn’t even stop fucking drinking one day - one HOUR - to celebrate his birthday with him. To pick him up! I was a shit parent. I only cared about alcohol and myself, that was it. This will be his first birthday that I’m sober - he’s 9. :sweat:

8 Likes

when I received my first dui. I knew I had a problem for years. but alcohol isnt illegal. I would come home not sure how i got home blackout drunk. I would mostly pass out. this was my way of trying to relaxing and forget about my problems. I was a binge drinking. I was miserable in my relationship of four years and desperately wanted change but was tired. after my dui ot took a couple of weeks to start not drinking. being on probation and taking piss test helped. it’s very hard to deal and think about our own issues. but this has made me stronger and I am finding myself again. needless to say I koxked my gf out. I now mountain bike, hike , rock climb this is my way to relax the therapist explained to me.

4 Likes