What we don't miss from our drinking & or using days

This Hass to be my favorite thread! my answer is, all of the above! But I have to add one. Having dry heaves in the morning and blaming it on the homemade apple pie I ate while drunk! Lol.

8 Likes

It took a while, but that bad feelings of waking up still half drunk in the middle of the night are gone. Oh…and add to my “don’t miss” list? After waking at 3, not being able to fall back asleep, and having to be up for work at 6.

8 Likes

Exactly as I did! Good but, fortunately, past fact. :+1:

3 Likes

And now, on day 701, I get up at 5 a.m. to go to the gym. Whaaaat?? Who is that person? :rofl::rofl:

14 Likes

That’s one heck of an amazing person! My answer and I’m sticking to it!

6 Likes

Well, arent you kind!! And sober!! And amazing!!

2 Likes

What I enjoy most by not drinking is the fact I don’t have to lie about booze and I’m not forever worried that my hidding place will be discovered and I’ll have nothing to drink.
What I really don’t miss is the rattling, the sweats and the desperate need to get alcohol into me, whatever the cost, to stop them and feel ‘normal’.

7 Likes

I don’t miss:
The angry outbursts
The isolating from my kids
Always being broke or the first thing i buy when i get money is drugs
The pain associated with coming down
Being hyper aware of Every. Damn. Thing.
Being very suicidal and making attempts over and over
Oh man… I could go on for a long time and create a bulleted list of at least 100 things i don’t miss! :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

Throwing up consistently.

Random bruises that i had no idea where they came from

Guilt and shame

No free time…too busy getting that next drink

11 Likes

It’s YOU,the authentic you. As a heroin addict I don’t miss the roller coaster of feeling good or either chipping or in full blown withdrawals. Yuck. Not a fun ride and yet. Also don’t miss not always able to be present for my 2 children. Selfish barely covers it.

7 Likes

Going weeks without a solid shit.
Being a piece of shit.
Feeling like shit.
Always in the shit.
Life being worse than shit

All that fucking shit!

16 Likes

Don’t miss waking up at some stupid hour having or almost having a panic attack, screaming and crying and wishing I was dead. Not being able to sleep. Needing diazapam to get through the next day. Fighting with my family and saying hurtful things. I don’t miss wasting all my money, smoking every time I’d drink and often becoming black out drunk.

8 Likes

Not being able to walk straight. Hangovers. Headaches. Driving with one eye closed so the center yellow line on the two lane road would be one line and not more.

11 Likes

I don’t miss isolating myself from my friends and family because I’m either drunk or hungover, those were the options

7 Likes

Thanks and happy for you that you found sobriety!

2 Likes

I don’t miss waking with bruises and scratches on my body and having no idea where they came from.

8 Likes

Did this for years, and the pandemic made it all the more easy to get away with it. So glad those days are behind me, at least for today.

2 Likes

Lol I still find mysterious injuries, but now at least I know they can either be put down to natural clumsiness or dog wrestling and not drunken shenanigans. Still a win!

7 Likes

Same. I still find bruises but at least I know where they come from :joy:

2 Likes

What I don’t miss about binge drinking and cocaine.

I don’t miss being drunk and dazed laying in bed until 6am-7am hoping I’ll at least sleep for an hour before I go to work at 9am.

I don’t miss feeling unworthy.

I don’t miss feeling estranged from myself.

12 Likes