Whats your favorite sober activity you couldn't do drunk

I love being able to golf, bike ride, listen to audiobooks, and watch sunrises. Yours?

5 Likes

Workout. I used to be able to go to the gym slightly high or go the next morning after drinking when I had a hangover. But not so much anymore. Not that I want to go to the gym high lol being completely sober has really taken my (all around health) fitness to the next level.

5 Likes

Seems like we share a lot of interests. My favorite thing though is being able to get up early and not going through withdrawal. I was one of the first people in the office today. I had time to enjoy a cup of coffee and have some quiet time. I used to never be on time for work and when I did show up I was high, hungover or withdrawing.

2 Likes

My favorite thing to do sober is have a real conversation with a real friend and really actually listen with empathy.

4 Likes

I guess it will be enjoy the conversation :slight_smile: just been present and able to listen and of course remember it !!

1 Like

I just noticed I feel the same way!

1 Like

I love beeing able to do spontaneous things, I can go wherever I want whenever I want :+1:

5 Likes

Running and lifting weights: Definitely couldn’t do that drinking. I also did not enjoy exercising before sobriety. The thought alone made me cringe.
Reading: I hadn’t finished a book in 3 years. I’ve now read a book a month for 9 months.
Waking up early: 10AM used to be a REAL early day for me. Most days started around noon or 1. Now I am up at 7:30 8 even on my days off. Most days start closer to 6.
Lots of things I used to really dislike are now some of my favorites. Feels good to break those old habits and start some new ones.

1 Like

Agreed. That’s one of the best parts of my day now. And having 20 30 minutes to go on the back porch with a cup of coffee and stare at this treeline. Never did that while using, that’s for sure.

My favorite activity is sleeping. I sleep so much better not passing out hammered. Then there’s the ability to go to work daily, that’s nice. Motivated to actually do the things I dreamed about doing while drunk is a plus like walking, keeping appointments and going out.

I like doing everything sober. Grocery shopping is better, last nights 4th of July was memorable for the right reasons for a change, driving a motor vehicle, working on my van… the list is infinite.

2 Likes

Lifting weights, gymnastics and producing music. I produced music while using aswell but never felt as enjoyable as it does now.

1 Like

Reading (and remember the story :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), crochet, going for a walk in the evening… yes walk and no falling over :v:️

My favorite sober activity? Living.

Have you ever watched the Wizard of Oz? You know the part where it suddenly changes from Black & White to full-color?

That’s what sobriety did for me. It wasn’t that I couldn’t do things when I was drinking. It’s just now I live in full-color. I am a better everything sober. Better husband, father, friend, and employee, sober. Instead of just going through the motions, I have a passion for martial arts, ministry, learning, cooking, gardening.

Living to achieve maximum potential. That’s my sober activity.

1 Like

I am with Steve on this one…living! I spent so many years drunk, high, hungover, all of the above + with horrible anxiety, that simply waking up hangover and regret free each and every day for the past almost 500 days is a blessing. That is a powerful feeling of gratitude to start the day with.

I still marvel at how much better working out is when you aren’t hungover…who knew you didn’t have to feel like you were going to die.

And I can go out again…in public…and not get kicked out of a bar or restaurant. Or if I need something at the store at night, I can drive to get it.

It is very refreshing to live each day present and not full of self loathing and regret. And to feel pride in myself. That is pretty awesome.

2 Likes