What's YOUR plan?

Welcome to the community @Kate40 !
@Mat glad you found this thread. Otherwise I was going to post it on your thread.
Also welcome to you @YesNoMaybe … I see you’ve been posting which is super helpful for you and others!

3 Likes

Remembering where I came from and realizing that I’m one bad decision away from returning there; only associating with people in my support system; therapy; training Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, again (finally); working on my character defects and actively changing them; re-reading the notes I took while in an Intensive Outpatient Program; reaching out when I feel triggered/have something I need to talk about; keeping it One Day at a Time.

5 Likes

Currently have a timed lockbox on the way to put the last weed vape I will ever buy in it for 30 days, where my wife and I can see it. I’m hoping it will keep me accountable and it will be a reminder of a thing I have no want for. It turns my stomach, it gives me dry mouth, it makes me paranoid, I can’t playy saxophone and I shy away from my family, oh and not to mention it makes me feel slower and I can’t focus. I keep coming back to it because of the way that it feels when it hits my lungs I think. As a child and into my early 20s I had REGULARLY taken an Asthma inhaler sometimes every 4 hours. At 21 I started training for a job and it required me to be very physically fit and I wouldn’t be able to have the Ventolin inhalers. Somehow that turned into an 8 year long weed addiction that has nearly torn my marriage appart. Btw, I love being sober. But I’ve had a nonstop supply for a while and if a TRACE of weed is on the premises I will consume it. It’s been a massive crutch of mine. I try to hide it and I always find it. I QUIT TODAY

7 Likes

I have been in a LTR with 2nd partner since Sept. of 2019. Each have 2 kids from previous 1st marriages.
Trusted this woman to go all in with me and my kids to build a family. Mostly has been good but lots of roller coaster stuff that started happening only after we moved in together 2 years ago.

Kind of out of the blue she has given me and my kids an unreasonable ultimatum that we all move out of the family home for a YEAR while we both work on our toxic aspects and get couples’ counselling to see if there’s a “chance” we might stay together and move back in. I can’t do that to my kids and I.

My plan is to be strong, focused, compassionate and brave in the face of months and months of unpleasantness after being served up my worst nightmare…another broken family and relationship. I feel embarrassed, hurt, angry, resigned, oddly joyful and hopeful, very confused, scared…and lots of other yuck.

Can’t understand why someone who professes to still love me and our family and wants to dave it won’t work with me to fix things while sticking together as a family…but if I’m honest…I also sense the futility. So much stuff I never was aware of when we dated for 2 years. Only AFTER we moved in did the trouble start.

Sorry for rant. My plan is one day at a time. And to try and enjoy life again and be happy and look after myself and my kids foreseeable future.

4 Likes

Hi , really happy to hear that you are making a brave effort! I would like to suggest that you join AA meetings. Good luck and godspeed.

1 Like

Day 232. First wedding I’ve been to as a guest and not drank! And it is actually possible to still dance badly alcohol free :slight_smile: took 8.3 hours to drive home tho

6 Likes

My plan is to follow the program and keep things simple, don’t dwell on the past, get more information on my addictive personality, surrender my will to God!

The separation with my wife and daughter has been hard on me my wife left me for another after I confessed about my addiction I tried to ask for help and support from her s
I considered her infact for me she was my lover my best friend my wife and the mother of my child! But she left me she abandoned me nd took my 3yr old daughter with her, I don’t blame her completely but I do feel disappointed that she didn’t even bother to pull me up from the ditch o was in.

6 Likes

Stay plugged in. At a point, we begin to feel that we are alone. In fact you are not. Reach to any community and e will all do this together.
Best wishes friend

3 Likes

@HoofHearted Thank you for this comprehensive, clear and concise resource. As a newbie, it was so helpful to have a plan stepped out, instead of feeling overwhelmed about the what, where, when, how and why of getting sober. Admittedly, I didn’t plan anything, just started one day and haven’t looked back. However, I will be utilising what works for me from this plan. Fail to plan, plan to fail.

7 Likes

Interesting!

1 Like

My plan is to do 90 meetings in 90 days.

9 Likes

Thank you!! This was a very thought out and helpful post. It’s a good sign to my very first time using this app! I wonder if i can copy and paste it to word and print it out…. Lbvvvs thanks!!

2 Likes

I have copied into a word document and placed on my desktop to review daily. Great idea to print out and keep with you.
Welcome to the community Jennifer

1 Like

I found this very helpful as I am 2 months sober today and been feeling really good most days and this isn’t my first rodeo been in and out of rehabs since 2011 but this time seems different I turned a big corner this time as I have a plan and am doing things for the first time and a lot of my habits have changed like not drinking soda and I am drinking water alot and never dark water and my salt intake is down witch is different and am doing what my sponsor told me to do 20 years ago god rest his soul I think he’s shining down on me thanks for the helpful information

10 Likes

Hi,

I’m on Day 4, and I had such a miserable relapse that I wanted to stop completely.

I’m a binge drinker, but was once an everyday drinker. I thought bingeing, then staying sober for a while meant it was ok. This time I drank the usual amount, but my body wouldn’t tolerate it. I’ve been very sick and mostly in bed since Friday. Finally coming out of it. I don’t want to drink anymore. I won’t let myself forget this.

Been spending many hours reading, writing and thinking. Got a plan to begin a return to the real world -an early morning shopping trip with a list tomorrow. I know where the alcohol aisles are, and nothing I need is near there…I need coffee! And just a few good food items.

Once I do this first trip, I can sort other things. I will have TS with me in my mobile in case they set up an unexpected alcohol display near the register and I feel nervous. Guess I always have the option of abandoning my cart and running out of the store!

I know this probably sounds overkill but I really want to step carefully and not let alcohol find a way back in this time! Really taking this like it’s life or death.

Thank you for this place

14 Likes

You are doing great Marie. Smart to have a plan of attack ahead of time and be prepared. I also find that leaving my id in the car helps when i go into a store with alcohol available.

Do keep us in your pocket friend. :hugs: Always here to help and support.

6 Likes

Thanks Jasmine, that’s a good idea! And thanks for understanding. You’re so kind and supportive . The grocery store is a huge trigger. Most times I’m fine, but most isn’t all and I want to be done. I know my life depends on it. :heart:

4 Likes

Very informative and received over here! I especially appreciate the “Paws” exurb!

3 Likes

Do you simply just pick a meeting?

1 Like

Usually when you look for meetins near you, there will be a description of what the meetings are about and who they are for. Some types may be like men only or women only, open to all (including non-alcoholics) or closed (only alcoholics), specific language like spanish, religious, or non-religious. Some may just have a name like “Monday sober seekers”.

Depending on where you live, there may be several meetings near by. People suggest trying different ones to find the one that best suits you.

Google “AA meetings near me” to see what’s available!

1 Like