When did we become alcoholics? Can we tell? And why?

I’m not a fully addicted alcoholic yet but I realized if I continue my habits I will eventually become one. Been heavily drinking for 3 years, last year almost daily. My problem started when I got my first job in a Norwegian government alcohol store. Realized my problem some days ago when I caught myself in a drinking excuses: make some expensive fish and buy myself a bottle of wine + some beers on a Monday.

I have no idea if I even have minor withdraws which makes me very luckily, but I do miss the drinking and can feel a bit depressed if not drinking. I would say I’m not a fully alcoholic but very close or a hobby alcoholic, kinda makes me into a fella with drinking problem.

I would say, I have always known about my drinking problem but always covered it up with excuses, but admitted my drinking problem a few days ago and stopped. I’m tempted to destroy my wine in closet but my gf refuses me to do it… In terms of showing self control and not getting a pissed of girl in the house, I will not get rid of the alcohol in the closet.

1 Like

For me, alcohol has always been my safety net. Ever since my late teens I struggled with depression and severe anxiety, and booze took that away albeit for a few hours. What I was never able to see was that the booze was feeding the depression and anxiety. I have a wonderful husband and a good job, and my life is worth so much more than the blackouts and mental issues caused by the devil in that bottle. I have no off switch. Moderation is not an option for me. I’m on day 3 with a mountain ahead of me, but this has to be about the long term, one day at a time.

2 Likes

My mom did that but she always had a handle on her drinking. She was normal. She probably never thought it was a big deal or how it would affect my perception of alcohol. I can’t blame her for it. I was the one that kept asking for it or stealing it. She couldn’t have known.

I used to drink often, but, like most people, I guess (weekends, parties…). I had long periods when I didn’t drink AT ALL (for like six years). And then:

• I quit my PhD;
  • I ended a very unhealthy relationship with a verbally and emotionally abusive guy (during which I started drinking more and more);
  • and, instead of recovering from all the trauma, I ended up drinking more and more, alone, sitting on the couch, waiting to finish one bottle of vodka (or whatever… the important thing was that it was alcohol) so that I could open another one until I pass out.