Who to tell?

How do your family support you? What ways? I think this app has been my biggest support.

1 Like

This app definitely supports me. But getting support from my family is really important to me. My family supports me by not bringing alcohol or drugs around me. They don’t pressure me at all to drink or go out to the bar with them. They always ask how my NA meetings are going and encourage me to get more invovled in activities that don’t involve any drugs or alcohol :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keep on strong!!! :pray::pray::muscle::muscle:

1 Like

That’s really nice. I remember when my sister left rehab, going home was not an option because my mom was unwilling to make her home alcohol free. She ended up going to a friends parents house, whom she barely knew. Sometimes family systems highly contribute to how people get to where they are.

3 Likes

Other recovering addicts.

You are lucky.

Very true. My family all drink at functions. My family always have alcohol in their hand. Great at telling me not to drink. But always seem to be doing it right in front of me. I find it really hard in the early days. Maybe it’s part of my frequent lapses. I find it confusing. I feel hurt by it. I have mentioned it to my family. But time and time again it’s the same thing. I’d feel guilty if I told them not to drink in front of me. It’s not my choice. But if it was my daughter who was struggling with addiction I wouldn’t drink in front of her. But that’s just me.

2 Likes

So confused as to how to tell my husband that I want to quit drinking forever. A couple of years ago I quit for 3 months. Then we took a weekend trip and I relapsed. Now , in the past month, I’ve only drank 2 times and only had a couple drinks each time. Going on 2 weeks with no drink and feel really good about it. But I don’t know how to tell my husband. He’s witnessed me in some bad drinking related situations for sure. I’m afraid to tell him I want to quit. I am a very health conscious person and am thinking that I will say it’s for health reasons that I want to quit. Don’t want him to think differently of me. Thoughts please?

1 Like

I don’t really open up to anyone about my addiction. My family doesn’t take it seriously cuz they have problmes of there own or my mom’s to disappointed to hear me out and my family usally makes fun of my addiction so I just shrug it off. I can’t talk to friends cuz there not sober themselves so they just say as man that sucks or just ask let’s drjnk lol.everyone knows when I blackout I get angry fight peopled for no reason especially my boyfriend I yell at him aggressively tell him I have issues and try to break up with him. So I’ve been told I never remember .but I beilive it

I am very open about my sobriety. I take pride in it, because sobriety is something to take pride in.

1 Like

Does your husband know you’re addicted?

He knows I like to drink but doesn’t know the extent

Honesty is one of the most important things in a relationship. If you tell him you’re gonna quit drinking, tell him the truth. You don’t have to do it straight away, but when you’re rady for it or when he asks. He will probably be surprised, but if he is a loving and caring husband he will support your choice and maybe he will be proud of it.

1 Like

Thank you! He is very good to me. When the time comes and I tell him, I feel he will be very supportive.

2 Likes

You are NOT a dipshit!! I would suggest some young people’s meetings since you don’t have family support. You have your whole life ahead!! Hang in there!!

3 Likes

Why are you afraid - or what are you afraid of?

If you are doing something that has a positive effect on you, it will have a positive effect on him too! So that’s a good thing to keep in mind.

1 Like

What @Pancho said!

Speak to your doctor, or call a local support line, or try a recovery group like AA, Dharma Recovery, SMART Recovery. There is so much support out there, and this forum of course. Lots of good info here:

It’s hard when you have to find a new way of doing things but it is possible and it is worth it! :pray::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you so much :heart:

1 Like

Thank u :heart:

Tell people that are going to be your positive support system

1 Like