Why did i do it

Truer words have never been spoken. Sorry you’re going through this Dave. Just stick with it. Show her you’re done. And if bad things happen when you drink I think that says a lot. Same happens to me. I fell off the wagon after 280days. I’m starting fresh and it’s never easy but lots of folks are here for support.

2 Likes

Im just hating not knowing im going home to after a day at work. Chatting to colleagues during the day, then going home to it may as well be an empty house.

@Dave07 ive been there. Tough love here brother. We need to pay for our consequences. It sucks big time when something so powerful takes over our lives and affects our loved ones. Might be time to give up the drink my friend. It’s not doing you or your family any good. Only advice though. You need to find your path or life balance however that may be. Show your family you are sorry by actions not words. you got this brother it will all be ok. Be true to yourself and everything else will line up.

2 Likes

How’s it going @Dave07? Are you enjoying your time with your daughter sober?

1 Like

Yes. Went out last night to watch the new spiderman film would normally go to the pub for food and drinks but got takeaway pizza and came home instead. Had an early night up at 7:30 and planning a cycle ride whilst my daughters in bed.

5 Likes

That’s great to hear! Keep up the hard work on your sobriety. It’s definitely worth it.
Making new sober memories with my daughter has been a one of the best benefits.

1 Like

Fell off the wagon last night. 10 cans of stella and some shots of vodka. Woke up this morning feeling crap, bad taste in the mouth head feeling dizzy and a 4 paracetamol headache. Kitchen full of pots to be washed. Need to get some shopping done but ill do it later, don’t feel i can drive at the moment just need to get my head together

Dang man I’ve read your thread. You were doing good. I’m on day 5 right now and I’ve tried to quit a few thousand times. I’ve got 2 daughters 12 and 9 and that’s my motivation. Although I don’t get drunk around them they have seen me. I want the rest of their childhood to be good memories and not of me being absent. Hang in there. Your family is worth it. Your sanity is worth it. You are worth it. Don’t let the poison ruin your life. Get help. Stay on this app we will keep you accountable.

2 Likes

Its harder than stopping smoking. What’s done is done, just need to feel better. Maybe have a lie down and i may feel more alive. Got things to do but can’t face going out at the moment.

Trust me I know. I quit opioids cold turkey after 3 years of abuse. Been abusing alcohol for over 10 now. I’m like you. Either 0 or 120 mph. Last time I drank I think I had 16 shots and a few beers. Not a good look by any means. I’m 5 days now and determined not to be the drunk. The one who embarrassed himself. The one who “gets the quite treatment for a week”. And man have I got to. That a few times. Close to divorce several times. It’s just not worth it anymore. What use you be fun is no longer fun. Hang in there. Start over. You can be the person you know you want to be.

4 Likes

I used to think that using my drug was fun and giving me pleasure. Inside my bubble, my drug was the best thing in the world. Nothing came close to it. But it’s a lie. Feed a caged animal nothing but bitter moldy bread, limit the supply, and it will develop a craving for it.

By really looking at myself and my behavior, I had to face the truth that what I was doing was not fun. The only primary pleasure I received from it was the pleasure of relieving the withdrawal pangs that were originally caused by the addiction. And that’s not fun. That’s an illusion; a lie; a miserable existence.

4 Likes

3 days alcohol free, having problems getting to sleep. I go to bed tired but toss and turn for hours.

Your body is trying to get back to it’s original settings; give it time.

2 Likes

I had the same problem when I quit drinking.
It’s a major pain in the ass but your body will adjust.
I’m at the point now that I dont even need the tv on to go to sleep, which I have for years

2 Likes

I find i go to bed try to sleep can’t then end up on twitter watching a film on Netflix or Amazon and before i know it it 2am. I do eventually drop off and thankfully wake up refreshed which i wouldn’t if i had been drinking

2 Likes

Well I’d say that’s a step is the right direction, much better than going to bed with a belly full of beer.
I think that’s why I had such a problem sleeping, so use it going to bed ‘full’.
Before ya know it your gonna be sleeping great

2 Likes

Wifes back from a 6 day holiday in Tenerife. She’s on the vodka and coke listening to music in the kitchen. I want ti take myself away/out of the situation without seeming antisocial

1 Like

If there was a way to take myself out of that situation, I would take it. I wouldn’t care how antisocial I would look.

The wife got initially pissed with you for getting drunk, not for being antisocial.

1 Like

I eventually took myself away. Sitting in the kitchen was boring me. I needed visual stimulation so logged onto Amazon prime. If i listen to music i need to have a drink

1 Like

07:30 and I’ve just woken up, feeling fresh and ready to face the world. Sleep last night was a lot better, seemed to be less tossing and turning, just a couple of get ups for the toilet.

4 Likes