Why is cocaine more popular than ever and still considered a "rich person drug"?

I was just thinking about this. My addiction therapist and I were discussing this yesterday. Even he noticed that most of his clients used to be mainly there for alcohol abuse, but now he feels like half of the people who come to him are there for alcohol abuse, and the other half are there for cocaine abuse.

I don’t really understand why cocaine is still considered a “rich person drug.” The prices of coke have pretty much stayed the same since the 80s or even dropped a bit. If you account for inflation and increased salaries, really anyone could do cocaine. Like you could be broke as shit and still experience a coke addiction.

It’s also really fucking overrated I realize. Like it’s literally the most boring ass high, you just feel like you drank a bunch of coffee and feel nothingness in your emotions, except for feeling on the border of psychosis and paranoid and really horny and alert basically.

I was thinking about this because I notice sometimes I’ll hear a song on the radio where the singer like brags about their coke abuse, or I’ll be listening to music and sometimes the lyrics mention cocaine but like in a glamorized way.

The thing is, so much street blow is cut to absolute shit nowadays anyway. Literally no street dealers have “pure cocaine.” I’ve tried cocaine that’s been FTIR scanned and tested by people with a testing kit before that came back like >90% pure fishscale with no detected cuts, and it sure as hell did not look like cocaine from any street dealers I used to buy from. Like it’s not even real cocaine anymore, only partially at most if you’re lucky normally.

So like I don’t really understand why cocaine is still popular in today’s world, like 99% of the coke out there isn’t even real coke anymore it’s probably like all amphetamine powder or caffeine powder or both or worse, and it’s no longer a rich person drug either and the high just sucks overall but yet it was still so addictive for no reason.

Anyway I’m very thankful to be away from that scene. It was such an awful addiction fuck that shit :slight_smile:

4 Likes

amen to that brother!
coke is wack af…
and the fucking music and film industry just hyperinflate and glamourizes it usage, its literally the worst crash ever…
you become animalistic and senseless, ive done some weird ass shit under the influence, things that are so disgusting tbh… with little to no sense of awarness

thats the thing (and thats why its called the “devi’ls dandruff” it fucking normalizes everything, it literally gives you an excuse to be a fuck up and be okay with it.

god bless and save us all…

3 Likes

For me in sobriety it has been really important to stop obsessing over the drugs I used. For a long time drugs and alcohol held a huge sway over my life. In fact they were my life. It was all I talked about.

So in response to the question in the title of this thread I will ask you a question. Why does it matter? I would suggest focusing on your program of recovery rather than focusing on the drugs you used. The drugs were never the problem.

17 Likes

Agreed.

My friend me thinks fascinates and focuses on it too much.

I’m not fluent in appropriate recovery techniques, but when the posts contain your drug of choice multiple times I think the obsession still is living on.

Just an opinion I’ve had for a little while.

3 Likes

That’s true good point, thanks homie. You’re right, I need to not think about it so much tbh. I guess my brain is still kinda processing the whole addiction thing idk

1 Like

I mean, processing is normal. It’s going to bring it to mind from time to time. But identifying which directions of thought are going to be productive and teach you something about yourself, and which are just distractions, will be a useful skill going forward.

When you remove something that was a big part of your life, there needs to be something else to fill it if you don’t want your brain thinking about what used to be. This is the part where you build the new, sober, post-drug “you”. Addressing personal weaknesses or behaviours that contributed to things getting out of hand, that fed the addiction or were fed by the addiction. Living a new kind of life that is incompatible with using. Impossible while using.

One technique, when you’re feeling the need to contemplate, is seeing if you can transform your line of thought by asking “What does this mean for my recovery?” Sometimes there is something to learn: a weak spot of yours, a contributing behaviour, an idea for how to do differently going forward. Sometimes the answer is just “it won’t matter anymore.”

5 Likes

Definitely, thanks for the advice homie :slight_smile:

Yeah it’ll take some time but definitely a skill I gotta build soon :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey :wave: Homie.
Glad you’re here.
:heart: Boomer :upside_down_face:

Seriously. Love your spark :zap:

2 Likes