Why is it so hard to make new friends in your mid-30s?

Or is it just me? :sob:

I love meeting new people and make friends but the older I get, the harder it gets for me to make and maintain new friendships.

7 Likes

People in that age group often have families and careers to focus on. Some go as far as having to ask their spouseā€™s permission to hang out with friends.

Just in my experience. In my 20s there were way more people my age wanting to do things.

5 Likes

Not just you.

Building friendships later in life takes longer. By the time I was in my mid 30ā€™s, I had a wife, kids, career, house, a budding addiction to alcohol, and many friends from my 20ā€™s. Already being stretched thin, adding a new friend into the fold was nigh impossible.

Even worse in my mid 40s, mainly because I really dont want or need new friends lol.

9 Likes

Not just you. Personally Iā€™ve been more or less a social disaster all my life. I just canā€™t, people makes me nervous. Meeting someone new now (Iā€™m 38) means that I more or less trying to figure out why on earth they are trying to befriend me of all people.

7 Likes

I think because at this point in our lives we just want to skip the whole new friendship process and just skip to being good friends but it doesnā€™t work like that lol too much energy.

3 Likes

I wish I had an answer for you. Iā€™m in the same situation. If I meet new interesting people Iā€™m not able to maintain a friendship or let one properly develop after a few meetings.
On top of that I donā€™t even have any friends left from earlier years or school time. I moved country and now itā€™s just me, my immediate family and a few casual acquaintancesā€¦ and a cat!

7 Likes

Iā€™ve also noticed as people get older and stay in long term relationships they tend to do ā€œcouplesā€ things. All the friends I remember my parents having while growing up were couples. In their 60s I donā€™t think they have any friends. There was always some sort of conflict that ended it. lol

3 Likes

When youā€™re still single but all your friends have married, then it becomes couples with other couples, and youā€™ve become a ā€œfifth wheelā€ and gradually are excluded. Then itā€™s couples with kids with other couples with kids. If you donā€™t have kids, youā€™re excluded. Itā€™s this ongoing competition.

3 Likes

I used to hang out with a guy I worked with who was married. Everything we did involved his wife and kid and it felt awkward as hell, like I was the 2nd kid and they were the parents. They were always trying to hook me up with someone.

When we went to Vietnam earlier this year I was fully expecting his wife to show up at the airport but they separated.

2 Likes

Yes! I remember being dragged along to Target to pick up some Pampers! :roll_eyes:

Getting hooked up with people you have nothing in common withā€¦been there, too. They pity you because you donā€™t have a partner.

2 Likes

The amount of ā€œfree timeā€ we have in our younger years to unknowingly pour into a new friendship makes it easier to create a solid bond. I hardly have time to do the things I need to do now so I have zero friendsā€¦ Or maybe Iā€™m just an asshole :thinking: and nobody wants to be my friend lolā€¦ All 2 of my really close friends still drink hard so I donā€™t ever really see them. All of my relationships outside of my house are here on TS now

3 Likes

While we do hang out with all different kinds of people, Iā€™d say thatā€™s because itā€™s easier. The kids can play with each other, and the other parent/parents most of the time prefer a picnic at the playground instead of going to a restaurant where they might not serve chicken nuggets. And because theyā€™ve got kids of their own theyā€™ll wonā€™t be annoyed by your kids coming to interrupt,or thinking you are a freak because you havenā€™t seen the last episode of Kardashians but instead watched every episode of Bluey (An Australian kids show about a cartooned Dog Family) on repeat the last 6 months :joy:

There are indeed some people who are ā€œKidā€™s friendlyā€ even if they donā€™t have kids or a partner, but if you hang out with other families with kids on the same age, at least you donā€™t have to worry about your kids being bored, or the person you hang out with being bored when you want to do kid friendly things.
It also eliminates the struggle with finding a babysitter because youā€™re doing activities where youā€™ll bring your kids. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you guys, all of you have good points.!

For me I guess the reason why I have zero friends itā€™s because Iā€™ve moved to different places a few times. I had to move countries when I was a teenager and I tried to keep in contact with my childhood friends for a while but long distance friendships are a struggle for me. After that Iā€™ve moved different states and just about 6 years ago I moved to the town I currently live in and itā€™s been a struggle to find friends or have a sense of belonging to the community. It feels so lonely and I wish so hard I could go back to my old city. Sadly, itā€™s not a possibility

4 Likes

If you have free time I would volunteer doing something that is meaningful to you. You would meet other people that share that same interest and it could be a good starting block for new friendships :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I am with Dan, volunteering can help make friends with similar interests. It is hard in your 60s as well. Yoga has been a good place to meet some folks as well.

3 Likes

The older I get, the more particular I am about who I choose to spend my valuable and limited time with. I add rarely, but those I have have beem friends with me for a long time.

5 Likes

Since I decided to quit, I started to get more involved at church and Iā€™ve been trying to attend some groups and like you guys say do some volunteering but Iā€™m still battling my alcohol addiction, the cravings and urges have been so bad lately that some days I have to go to bed around 6pm. Itā€™s very hard to focus on anything when Iā€™m craving so bad. I wish it could go away soon :sob:

5 Likes

In early sobriety I shut down the day early and went to bed as well. That wonā€™t last forever. It takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there and build connections. Very well done!

3 Likes

I hang out with people in recovery.
A church fellowship can be nice too.
I prayed and asked God to bring good people into my life. But doing the 12 steps was they key. They lifted my self-esteem.

2 Likes

You know what? I havenā€™t actually tried the 12 steps. I have been trying to build sober friendships but I guess itā€™ll be slow process. Iā€™ll have to add that to my to-do list. My self esteem definitely needs a boost :sob:

2 Likes