Why isn't coffee something we should quit?

I know we can’t get arrested for drinking coffee and driving, but coffee is a powerful addiction and I resent any substance telling me what to do. I’ve been addicted to each of the four legal mind-altering substances alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, and sugar at various times in my life. I quit smoking 20 years ago this May. All four substances were difficult to quit, especially in the early days of my quits, but coffee was the most physically painful quit. A terrible headache that lasted days that no pain medication would relieve and intense physical cravings. And, like a fool, I went back to coffee numerous times and had to go through the quit again and again. When I quit drinking alcohol 552 days ago coffee snuck in as a substitute. That was crazy of me because I knew what I was getting into and I resented that inevitable morning craving and the need throughout the day for caffeine boosts and the strange tiredness if I didn’t get a “fix.” I’ve noticed a lot of coffee craving memes in the meme thread lately. Some of those memes are powerful and emotional, depicting people unable to function without their morning coffee or people turning into murderous monsters without their coffee fix. Why do we ignore the fact that coffee is an addiction? Is it because it supposedly won’t harm us like alcohol, cigarettes, and sugar will? Is it because we need a “safe” addiction to take the place of our alcohol and nicotine addictions? Is it human nature to be addicted to something? I think any addictive substance is just another prison cell. Addictive substances make me angry and anger is what helped me quit all of them, finally, for the first time in my adult life.

13 Likes

Coffee is something “you” can quit. An addictive substance will not get everyone addicted. Unlike the others you mentioned coffee/caffeine actually does have health benifits in small amounts. Just my 2 cents

Edit*** BTW i drink to much coffee but I’ve been cutting it down significantly.

8 Likes

Today I am working on day 11 of no coffee and no booze. Giving upcoffee is rough with that said I am a tea man now hot dam I’m not going back. Hope you’re doing ok. And I love the topic

6 Likes

Then by all means quit. If coffee had that hold on my life like that, I would quit too.

12 Likes

I have 2 cups in the a.m. I can’t imagine waking up without them!

10 Likes

Alcohol and tobacco were my downfall. Funny though that they serve coffee at most meetings. I know coffee isn’t the best for me but I do enjoy it. Maybe I will have more decaf… progress not perfection…lol

7 Likes

I personally look at coffee as a “little thing.” As in, the little things in life that bring you joy. If it’s something that has a hold on you, then quit.
I mean, I love potato chips too, but I don’t buy them often because I’ll eat them all. Are they bad?
Everything in moderation. If it can’t be moderated, then cut it out.

6 Likes

I think that it isn’t one size fits all. Just because it is a substance doesn’t mean you have an addiction to that specific substance. Its a possibility as an addict to grow that addiction but it has more to do with who you become while on that substance and how that substance reacts within you. I watch how much coffee I drink because I get agitated and grumpy so usually one or two cups a day and I’m good. Nothing wrong though if you think you shouldn’t drink it. Realistically humanity is addicted to many things not just drugs and alcohol. I don’t believe every addiction is necessarily a bad thing, I’m addicted to music, I can listen to it 8 hrs plus a day but I also use it to jump my moods around. There are healthy addictions and even though I wouldn’t consider a caffeine addiction healthy, caffeine and coffee in general a cup or two a day has statistically studied to shown its actually pretty good for you, but within limited amounts

3 Likes

I only have one cup of fresh ground coffee a day in the morning and that’s it. I use to drink coffee all the time because I worked in the restaurant business very long hours.
As far as the memes go I can stop posting the coffee memes. I just thought they were funny and a fun way to start the day. I would definitely not want to trigger anyone on here if you are fighting a coffee addiction.
:pray:t2::heart:

6 Likes

Because i think people would get hurt if i didnt get coffee in the morning lol

10 Likes

I wanted to go there. Your example music.
Like I’m addicted to walking my dogs. No matter what. We walk our dogs. I feel like shit and that I’ve let them down on the one thing I feel they live for. We plan our whole morning around walking our dogs.

I think everything can be addictive to anyone.
What about weight lifting? Tons of people on here substitute weight lifting for drinking.

3 Likes

Because murder is wrong :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

I think a jury of my peers would understand lol

5 Likes

I agree, like I said there are healthy addictions or addictions that can benefit you, focusing on your career, exercise, eating healthily. Its always there but its how you decide to portray it in the end, tea is good too, but there more antioxidants in coffee and fresh coffee honestly just the smell of it is something to appreciate

2 Likes

Don’t murder anyone man, get that coffee in you haha

5 Likes

The smell of my fresh ground beans in the morning is so much better than the taste. I always stick my nose in the ground bean cup for a good morning smell.

3 Likes

I fast at least once or twice a year for church. I usually observe a “Daniel Fast” which among other things restricts beverages to water only. About the only thing I really miss is coffee. I love the taste and smell of it. I can do without caffeine if needs be, with no withdrawal. I guess I’m a “normie” when it comes to coffee, and thankfully so. I limit myself to 2 cups in the morning. I buy good coffee and brew in either a French press or Moka pot. I figure life is too short to drink marginal coffee. The rest of the day, I drink water or herbal tea.

But I do see your point, and if you believe you have a physiological or psychological dependence on coffee, addressing this is a healthy thing to do.

3 Likes

My coffee without me is useless. Without my coffee, I am usless. I must drink my coffee true. Lol

6 Likes

@DougM hahahahaha.

2 Likes

Lol im sorry ill stop, just in a goofy mood this morning

2 Likes