Why would you "test" your sobriety?

I’m not promoting. In all of my comments I say we are individuals and need to do whatever works for us. My path is my path. I think open debate is helpful and all ways and methods and shares are all equally valuable. I don’t think it’s fair to say I am promoting or being unethical and ultimately each individual can take or leave whatever they want from all of our shares.

3 Likes

Have done same experiment, same results. I’m capable of both smart and stupid.

Easy to remember I’m smart sometimes, somehow. More important to remember I’m also an idiot.

4 Likes

Update on my bachelor party. I’m not going at all because it’s the same weekend as the AA Convention that I am on the committee for.

Priorities.

3 Likes

Deserves what?

1 Like

I think it was spot on

2 Likes

I don’t see it that way and decided to say something. I wasn’t attempting to shut down a debate or try to belittle you.

Maybe the word naive would have been more fitting than unethical. But me saying it now sounds more insulting then I intended.

I’m scared :scream:

Keep hearing about this 5-7 year itch where people drink again

An old timer told me most of those times the individuals stop taking their medicine (going to meetings)

So what am I going to do? Keep going to meetings and offering service

Also I think I’m ready to sponsor somebody :thinking: I’m feeling sad that I’ve not been asked, is this what it feels like to be single? :rofl:

5 Likes

The entire idea of “testing” one’s sobriety is utterly ridiculous. Sobriety is not a bar of gold or a loaf of bread we can proof the quality of or once we’ve been going at it long enough it’s done. 🤦 Noone here suggesting to hold out on boozy occasions in very early recovery until you can deal with temptation is in any way suggesting to “avoid the ever-pervasive alcohol in society”, run from it like a coward and hide yourself, or whatever. There is literally NOTHING to prove by “being around alcohol” and not drinking. It doesn’t mean anything other than you’re exposing yourself unnecessarily IF you do experience cravings and waver in your sobriety (which having answered to a few of your emergency/fuck it all-style posts in the past @Schmemm I’d say you defo still have to earn your sea legs, which is totally normal). And if you don’t have cravings, good on you. It also proves nothing. You might not drink the first two times, then eventually you do. This whole discussion is distracting from all the positive, proven, meaningful actions everyone is advised to do in early and later recovery: connect to peers, confront your feelings, your reasons, your past, yourself. None of which I see happening by attempting to “test my sobriety”. It’s simply a straw fire distracting from the actual work you have to do, nothing else. Just do the work.

People go back out if they don’t work they sobriety toolbox, program, don’t follow suggestions and aren’t able to overcome their big extra special with cherries on top egos. Imo. Everyone with long term sobriety has learnt a lot about themselves, can respect themselves and others more, and has earned serenity and humility to some degree. And guess what, they still go back out sometimes. You can’t prove your sobriety unless you live it consciously and actively, ODAAT.

PS I work as a bartender. It’s been my job before getting sober and has been since day one of my recovery. And guess what: it proves nothing. My sobriety is not in any way more special or solid because I was around alc from day one. Had I experienced temptation and cravings around work I would have 120% quit asap. As it was I didn’t and it was very important to me to keep my steady income and stability in my life. That’s all. Nothing to see here. Now maybe do some actual sobriety work. eyeroll and out. :comet:

(Love you guys!)

13 Likes

While in general I agree with your post I disagree with the quote. Not all ways and methods are equally valuable. Not even all shares are. When someone recommends cutting your head of when you have a headache that’s less valuable than someone advising you to take a paracetamol.

5 Likes

Extreme analogy but yes, I take and agree with your point. Bad advice is bad. It is of course personal choice and down to us all to accept or not whatever advice or opinions we are offered and up to us all to find what is best for us to help us achieve what we want to.

I’ve tested my sobriety often. The exposure taught me a lot. I relapsed often and it made me realize how fucking desperate I am to be near my addiction.

1 Like

I will keep this in mind! Especially on days when I’m vulnerable like tired or not feeling well, just drained.

3 Likes

Wow! This finally makes sense.

This is so true.

3 Likes

I did this deliberately near the one year mark of my sobriety. I went to restaurants that served lots of different types of alcoholic beverages, went into liquor aisles in the stores, although I never hung out in a bar since I have been sober.

Deliberately tempting myself, to make myself stronger.

I wonder how many people are starting day 1 again today after testing their sobriety last night?

3 Likes

Aaaaaaand the results are in!

3 Likes

I got anxiety reading that, :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grimacing:

2 Likes

Starting your new year’s resolution of sobriety by trying to prove you can go to that party and not drink just turns it into your 2023 resolution. Also you’ll probably get Covid.

Also if you didn’t survive Christmas get togethers without drinking you won’t survive a new year’s one either.

8 Likes

If I went out for the fresh start today I’d probably be dead by New Years.

3 Likes

Hey y’all. Summer is coming and it’s still not a good idea to test your sobriety. Plenty of threads here about people who found that out the hard way.

10 Likes