Will be two weeks today; where were you at this point?

I’d like some inspiration. What were you going through at week 2? What kept you focused at this point?

Today I feel like crawling out of my skin, honestly.

1 Like

Hey, where was I? Just trying to stay sober one day at a time!
I felt like I was in a trance: get up, go to work avoid stopping and buying drink, come home, avoid buying any drink, eat tea, have a bath, go to bed, repeat!
Be happy that I was building my days up.
I was like this for a while. But I did have good days and I did have bad days. But every day was sober, so I was happy on the inside. I was beating the demon!

6 Likes

I was still in rehab! So my schedule was set for me. Rehab is not the greatest place to be, but it was certainly better than the alternative.

5 Likes

I can only imagine!

So I have 30 days clean today.At two weeks I was feeled with joy and strength.Similar to my current state but not the same.My experience is it gets harder as time goes by.But let me explain.In the beginning the freedom from the alcohol and drugs is like a kind of high.The joy fuels the motivation.Then as time goes by this joy and motivation requires you to put work in to grow.You can’t be stagnate.Always have the attitude of progression.Labor.So I will just say congratulations on 2 weeks.And continue to work and progress.Peace and love.

6 Likes

Thanks, this was good to read

Thank you for sharing. It’s hard to see it will ever be any different than today

1 Like

Probably my 10th AA meeting. Had accepted what I am, willing to do anything to not pick up a drink

1 Like

Wow! That’s some awesome early dedication

1 Like

I hear ya. I was reading on here at the time about people who were doing this or that and where X amount of days further on.
I was thinking exactly what you are thinking now.
Believe me.
Keep it going, it is well more than worth it.

1 Like

They do say 90 meetings in 90 days is the way to go at first. There are a lot of people who have been there on here.

2 Likes

I have social anxiety so I’m really tiptoeing towards it. I have been in contact with the local AAs though to get a feel for it. I’ve given myself a deadline of next Monday that I have to go to at least one. Can’t keep tiptoeing forever

1 Like

That’s cool.
Baby steps in everything at the moment.
Don’t be afraid. They will welcome you.

Most of us are filled with trepidation before we first attend a meeting, I know I was the first time I went to one and I don’t really hardly ever suffer from anxiety.
I promise you that you will be glad that you went when you do go. Most of us have to really work at this to make it stick so go to a meeting and give yourself the best chance of success. I look forward to hearing how it went when you do get through those doors :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

I had no choice it was either relapse then kill myself or get sober and have a wonderful life :man_shrugging: difficult choice :rofl:

5 Likes

Two weeks in, I was probably crying. Not embarrassed by it. More like an overdue moment of emotional soul searching. I was beating myself up pretty bad cuz my brain chemistry was still recovering from all the suppressed feelings through the years.
4.5 months strong and my emotional rollercoaster is much easier to manage. Two weeks was tough but I’m proud of myself for not giving up :slightly_smiling_face:
You’re doing great! Keep going :metal:

4 Likes

The first time… I really don’t remember, but I think it was kind of similar to my first two weeks now:

• with moments of joy and peace and anxiety and nervousness and cravings and emptiness and pride alternating throughout the day.
    But even the worst day of sobriety is better than the “best” (?!) day of drinking.
3 Likes

It will. Waaaaaay better.
Just hang in there.

1 Like

At two weeks I was posting this:

One week later I finally went to my first actual meeting and been going ever since. :v:

4 Likes

Ooh, yikes. At two weeks, I was just over a week out of detoxing at the hospital. My hands were still shaking even though the worst of the detox was over on day 3. My doctor had just pulled me off all my meds temporarily to help my liver recover from the shape it was in, so I was also figuring out how to deal with my anxiety and BPD in light of this. I was in the process of letting go of unhealthy relationships. I was trying to figure out where I was going to live, and where the money was going to come from.

As awful as it was, I was so full of hope, though. Finally free from the hell of active addiction, finally able to get somewhere. I was building a better life that I’d given up on while drinking. So what kept me focused was knowing how close I was to going back to what things were before. It was a fire underneath me, I couldn’t sit still, I had to put all my energy into doing what I could to build success for my future. I started going to AA meetings after having written them off. (My first experience turned out not to be representative of meetings in general).

The original isn’t publicly visible at the moment, but from a day 13 post of mine, I quote:

So after new lab work, I’ve been instructed to quit all my psychiatric meds cold turkey to give my liver a break because I really put it through the shredder over the past few years. It’s pretty scary, given that it’ll stop helping and I’ll get discontinuation effects, but I trust my doctors in their trained medical and psychiatric opinions.

Over the last several days it’s gotten to a rough place I never thought I’d have been able to handle. But my work over the years on coping and thought retraining has kept me standing. So I had this thought: if all that is paying off for my mental health despite feeling futile at the time, I can have much hope that my sobriety-specific practices will pay off similarly.

Tonight I tell myself: Rome wasn’t built in a day, but it was (and is) probably being built every day. Ditto with sobriety.

4 Likes