Words from The Word for the Sober Followers

Good morning beloved(s) :white_heart::pray::heart:

I wanted to create a section for those of us driven by our Higher Power, seeking a higher power or simply just exploring the possibility that there even is a higher power.
It’s been my experience after 30 something years of using, relapsing, using , relapsing and now remaining clean and sober that God is THE ONLY one who can fix what’s broken in me. And only if I let Him. I say Him for ease and that in itself places our creator in a box so please forgive me if this trips you up or offends you. It’s my hearts posture Creator is interested in and The Word is our living and breathing encouragement

My hope here is that we’d share our Higher Power experiences on here, daily devotionals, prayers, prayer requests, praise reports, any struggles we may face with regards to a Higher Power.

I hope to keep a space open for us to give time to our Creator each day. Humbling our selves, our minds and our spirits for contemplation on what is, what isn’t and what may be.

God bless each and everyone of you and your enemies , friends and family too.

:heart::white_heart::pray:
Your sister,
Alison @PaigeTurner

9 Likes

2 Likes

Lol! I love Joni Mitchell and yet had no idea about this song. Thanks for sharing :blush:

2 Likes
1 Like

1 Like

Taking the Initiative Against Daydreaming

Arise, let us go from here. JOHN 14:31

Daydreaming about something in order to do it properly is right, but daydreaming about it when we should be doing it is wrong. In this passage, after having said these wonderful things to His disciples, we might have expected our Lord to tell them to go away and meditate over them all. But Jesus never allowed idle daydreaming. When our purpose is to seek God and to discover His will for us, daydreaming is right and acceptable. But when our inclination is to spend time daydreaming over what we have already been told to do, it is unacceptable and God’s blessing is never on it. God will take the initiative against this kind of daydreaming by prodding us to action. His instructions to us will be along the lines of this: “Don’t sit or stand there, just go!”

If we are quietly waiting before God after He has said to us, “Come aside by yourselves
” then that is meditation before Him to seek His will ( Mark 6:31). Beware, however, of giving in to mere daydreaming once God has spoken. Allow Him to be the source of all your dreams, joys, and delights, and be careful to go and obey what He has said. If you are in love with someone, you don’t sit and daydream about that person all the time— you go and do something for him. That is what Jesus Christ expects us to do. Daydreaming after God has spoken is an indication that we do not trust Him.

1 Like

hello!!
(I don’t know if the translation will be correct because I use the google translator.)

This reminds me a lot of the third step of the AA and NA program, a friend told me that the third step is the first action step, it asks you to let go of the reins and let your higher power act. but my mind always wants to control everything, because my ego is very big and wants to do things my way. I sometimes go into a self-pitying state due to past mistakes and missed opportunities that cause me frustration, gratitude takes me out of those emotions, but I must confess that many times I stay still and do not act, even knowing the things I must do, I turn the melancholy in a comfort zone. being grateful is also acting in a spiritual way, putting my will and my life in the care of my superior power requires action.

1 Like

The prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi reminds me a lot of acting spiritually, acting on the will of my superior power, leaving my life in his care but acting with spiritual values.

1 Like

MY UTMOST FOR HIS HIGHEST
by Oswald Chambers

Do You Really Love Him?

She has done a good work for Me. MARK 14:6

If what we call love doesn’t take us beyond ourselves, it is not really love. If we have the idea that love is characterized as cautious, wise, sensible, shrewd, and never taken to extremes, we have missed the true meaning. This may describe affection and it may bring us a warm feeling, but it is not a true and accurate description of love.

Have you ever been driven to do something for God not because you felt that it was useful or your duty to do so, or that there was anything in it for you, but simply because you love Him? Have you ever realized that you can give things to God that are of value to Him? Or are you just sitting around daydreaming about the greatness of His redemption, while neglecting all the things you could be doing for Him? I’m not referring to works which could be regarded as divine and miraculous, but ordinary, simple human things— things which would be evidence to God that you are totally surrendered to Him. Have you ever created what Mary of Bethany created in the heart of the Lord Jesus? “She has done a good work for Me.”

There are times when it seems as if God watches to see if we will give Him even small gifts of surrender, just to show how genuine our love is for Him. To be surrendered to God is of more value than our personal holiness. Concern over our personal holiness causes us to focus our eyes on ourselves, and we become overly concerned about the way we walk and talk and look, out of fear of offending God. “
but perfect love casts out fear
” once we are surrendered to God (1 John 4:18). We should quit asking ourselves, “Am I of any use?” and accept the truth that we really are not of much use to Him. The issue is never of being of use, but of being of value to God Himself. Once we are totally surrendered to God, He will work through us all the time.

1 Like

Encounter God’s Heart

Skillful Wisdom

The Spirit of extraordinary wisdom is also the Spirit of skillfulness. It is this aspect of the Lord that releases the ability for music, art, business, writing, creativity, and wisdom for judicial decisions.

The Spirit of the Lord released through us is not limited in expression. He manifests through us in a plethora of ways. The Creator of all set things in place with precision and creativity. He not only formed the idea but also placed it in existence with perfect wisdom. This same ability is within us. To limit ourselves is to limit the One inside us. We have what we need to do—what he’s destined us to do—because we have his extraordinary wisdom. This wisdom gives humanity the skill for new inventions, designs, and radical ideas that change the course of history. When we fully lean upon the Lord, we can do amazing things!

Lord, I don’t want to limit what you can do through me. When I’m stuck, remind me that I can lean in and draw from your wisdom. When what’s on my heart takes a team to bring to pass, surround me with those who flow with your wisdom and skillfulness.
From “The Vision” written by Brian Simmons and Gretchen Rodriguez

Isaiah 11:1–2
The Passion Translation

The cut-off stump of Jesse will sprout, and a fruitful Branch will grow from his roots: the Spirit of Yahweh will rest upon him, the Spirit of Extraordinary Wisdom, the Spirit of Perfect Understanding, the Spirit of Wise Strategy, the Spirit of Mighty Power, the Spirit of Revelation, and the Spirit of the Fear of Yahweh.

Our Misgivings About Jesus

The woman said to Him, “Sir, You have nothing to draw [water] with, and the well is deep.” JOHN 4:11

Have you ever said to yourself, “I am impressed with the wonderful truths of God’s Word, but He can’t really expect me to live up to that and work all those details into my life!” When it comes to confronting Jesus Christ on the basis of His qualities and abilities, our attitudes reflect religious superiority. We think His ideals are lofty and they impress us, but we believe He is not in touch with reality— that what He says cannot actually be done. Each of us thinks this about Jesus in one area of our life or another. These doubts or misgivings about Jesus begin as we consider questions that divert our focus away from God. While we talk of our dealings with Him, others ask us, “Where are you going to get enough money to live? How will you live and who will take care of you?” Or our misgivings begin within ourselves when we tell Jesus that our circumstances are just a little too difficult for Him. We say, “It’s easy to say, ‘Trust in the Lord,’ but a person has to live; and besides, Jesus has nothing with which to draw water— no means to be able to give us these things.” And beware of exhibiting religious deceit by saying, “Oh, I have no misgivings about Jesus, only misgivings about myself.” If we are honest, we will admit that we never have misgivings or doubts about ourselves, because we know exactly what we are capable or incapable of doing. But we do have misgivings about Jesus. And our pride is hurt even at the thought that He can do what we can’t.My misgivings arise from the fact that I search within to find how He will do what He says. My doubts spring from the depths of my own inferiority. If I detect these misgivings in myself, I should bring them into the light and confess them openly— “Lord, I have had misgivings about You. I have not believed in Your abilities, but only my own. And I have not believed in Your almighty power apart from my finite understanding of it.”

I Hear His Whisper

I change you from the inside out.

Without saying a word, you will speak a message of truth and grace with your life. You will walk in a new level of my power and anointing. You will begin to live as your Father in heaven—holy, pure, and filled with faith. As you set your heart on me, give your thoughts to me, and surrender your cares to me, a new standard of glory will operate in your life. Everything changes when you become consumed with the reality of my life working in you.

My presence makes you think differently and act differently, and it even changes your physical appearance. My glory transforms you from the inside out. Like the beautifying oils given to Esther, the oil of my Spirit seeps into your spirit, soul, and body—working a change much deeper and more life-changing than anything money can buy. When your heart is yielded to me, you release the fragrance of heaven effortlessly. Many will see the result of my work in your life and know that you have been transformed by the glory of my presence.

2 Corinthians 2:14–15
The Passion Translation

God always makes his grace visible in Christ, who includes us as partners of his endless triumph. Through our yielded lives he spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of God everywhere we go. We have become the unmistakable aroma of the victory of the Anointed One to God—a perfume of life to those being saved and the odor of death to those who are perishing.

I Hear His Whisper

My mercy is never out of reach.

You are never too far. You are never beyond the reach of my mercy. Over and over, I will restore and forgive you. Open your eyes and see me high and lifted up. Feel my glorious robe of mercy wrapped around you. Be filled with the glory of my love. Receive a fresh supply from my fountain of mercy, and you will be prepared for what is to come.

I am the God of forgiveness and mercy. The God of not just one, two, or three chances, but unlimited mercy. When you commune with me in sacred intimacy, the areas of your life that have yet to be changed will be perfected. You are my temple, my holy vessel. You are purchased with holy blood, sanctified and righteous because of what I have done for you, and forgiven because of the price I paid. So lay your failures before me today. Invite me into every area that has haunted you with regret. Let go of your past and walk into the newness of life with me. It is never too late. My mercy is never out of reach.

Luke 7:47–48
The Passion Translation

She has been forgiven of all her many sins. This is why she has shown me such extravagant love. But those who assume they have very little to be forgiven will love me very little.” Then Jesus said to the woman at his feet, “All your sins are forgiven.”

Turning Back or Walking with Jesus?
By Oswald Chambers
Do you also want to go away? —John 6:67
What a penetrating question! Our Lord’s words often hit home for us when He speaks in the simplest way. In spite of the fact that we know who Jesus is, He asks, “Do you also want to go away?” We must continually maintain an adventurous attitude toward Him, despite any potential personal risk.

“From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more” (John 6:66). They turned back from walking with Jesus; not into sin, but away from Him. Many people today are pouring their lives out and working for Jesus Christ, but are not really walking with Him. One thing God constantly requires of us is a oneness with Jesus Christ. After being set apart through sanctification, we should discipline our lives spiritually to maintain this intimate oneness. When God gives you a clear determination of His will for you, all your striving to maintain that relationship by some particular method is completely unnecessary. All that is required is to live a natural life of absolute dependence on Jesus Christ. Never try to live your life with God in any other way than His way. And His way means absolute devotion to Him. Showing no concern for the uncertainties that lie ahead is the secret of walking with Jesus.

Peter saw in Jesus only someone who could minister salvation to him and to the world. But our Lord wants us to be fellow laborers with Him.

In John 6:70 Jesus lovingly reminded Peter that he was chosen to go with Him. And each of us must answer this question for ourselves and no one else: “Do you also want to go away?”

Total Surrender

By Oswald Chambers

Peter began to say to Him, “See, we have left all and followed You.” —[Mark 10:28]

Our Lord replies to this statement of Peter by saying that this surrender is “for My sake and the gospel’s” ([Mark 10:29]). It was not for the purpose of what the disciples themselves would get out of it. Beware of surrender that is motivated by personal benefits that may result. For example, “I’m going to give myself to God because I want to be delivered from sin, because I want to be made holy.” Being delivered from sin and being made holy are the result of being right with God, but surrender resulting from this kind of thinking is certainly not the true nature of Christianity. Our motive for surrender should not be for any personal gain at all. We have become so self-centered that we go to God only for something from Him, and not for God Himself. It is like saying, “No, Lord, I don’t want you; I want myself. But I do want You to clean me and fill me with Your Holy Spirit. I want to be on display in Your showcase so I can say, ‘This is what God has done for me.’ ” Gaining heaven, being delivered from sin, and being made useful to God are things that should never even be a consideration in real surrender. Genuine total surrender is a personal sovereign preference for Jesus Christ Himself.

Where does Jesus Christ figure in when we have a concern about our natural relationships? Most of us will desert Him with this excuse— “Yes, Lord, I heard you call me, but my family needs me and I have my own interests. I just can’t go any further” (see [Luke 9:57-62]
“Then,” Jesus says, “you ‘cannot be My disciple’ ” (see Like 14)

True surrender will always go beyond natural devotion. If we will only give up, God will surrender Himself to embrace all those around us and will meet their needs, which were created by our surrender. Beware of stopping anywhere short of total surrender to God. Most of us have only a vision of what this really means, but have never truly experienced it.

God’s Total Surrender to Us
By Oswald Chambers
For God so loved the world that He gave
 —John 3:16
Salvation does not mean merely deliverance from sin or the experience of personal holiness. The salvation which comes from God means being completely delivered from myself, and being placed into perfect union with Him. When I think of my salvation experience, I think of being delivered from sin and gaining personal holiness. But salvation is so much more! It means that the Spirit of God has brought me into intimate contact with the true Person of God Himself. And as I am caught up into total surrender to God, I become thrilled with something infinitely greater than myself.

To say that we are called to preach holiness or sanctification is to miss the main point. We are called to proclaim Jesus Christ (see 1 Corinthians 2:2). The fact that He saves from sin and makes us holy is actually part of the effect of His wonderful and total surrender to us.

If we are truly surrendered, we will never be aware of our own efforts to remain surrendered. Our entire life will be consumed with the One to whom we surrender. Beware of talking about surrender if you know nothing about it. In fact, you will never know anything about it until you understand that John 3:16 means that God completely and absolutely gave Himself to us. In our surrender, we must give ourselves to God in the same way He gave Himself for us— totally, unconditionally, and without reservation. The consequences and circumstances resulting from our surrender will never even enter our mind, because our life will be totally consumed with Him.

Yielding

you are that one’s slaves whom you obey
 ROMANS 6:16

The first thing I must be willing to admit when I begin to examine what controls and dominates me is that I am the one responsible for having yielded myself to whatever it may be. If I am a slave to myself, I am to blame because somewhere in the past I yielded to myself. Likewise, if I obey God I do so because at some point in my life I yielded myself to Him.

If a child gives in to selfishness, he will find it to be the most enslaving tyranny on earth. There is no power within the human soul itself that is capable of breaking the bondage of the nature created by yielding. For example, yield for one second to anything in the nature of lust, and although you may hate yourself for having yielded, you become enslaved to that thing. (Remember what lust is— “I must have it now,” whether it is the lust of the flesh or the lust of the mind.) No release or escape from it will ever come from any human power, but only through the power of redemption. You must yield yourself in utter humiliation to the only One who can break the dominating power in your life, namely, the Lord Jesus Christ. “
He has anointed Me
to proclaim liberty to the captives
” (Luke 4:18 and Isaiah 61:1).

When you yield to something, you will soon realize the tremendous control it has over you. Even though you say, “Oh, I can give up that habit whenever I like,” you will know you can’t. You will find that the habit absolutely dominates you because you willingly yielded to it. It is easy to sing, “He will break every fetter,” while at the same time living a life of obvious slavery to yourself. But yielding to Jesus will break every kind of slavery in any person’s life

Hebrews 3:7
¶That is why the Holy Spirit says,
“Today when you hear his voice,
8don’t harden your hearts
as Israel did when they rebelled,
when they tested me in the wilderness.
9There your ancestors tested and tried my patience,
even though they saw my miracles for forty years.
10So I was angry with them, and I said,
‘Their hearts always turn away from me.
They refuse to do what I tell them.’
11So in my anger I took an oath:
‘They will never enter my place of rest.’”

12¶Be careful then, dear brothers and sisters. Make sure that your own hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning you away from the living God.
13You must warn each other every day, while it is still “today,” so that none of you will be deceived by sin and hardened against God.
14For if we are faithful to the end, trusting God just as firmly as when we first believed, we will share in all that belongs to Christ.
15Remember what it says:
“Today when you hear his voice,
don’t harden your hearts
as Israel did when they rebelled.”

16¶And who was it who rebelled against God, even though they heard his voice? Wasn’t it the people Moses led out of Egypt?
17And who made God angry for forty years? Wasn’t it the people who sinned, whose corpses lay in the wilderness?
18And to whom was God speaking when he took an oath that they would never enter his rest? Wasn’t it the people who disobeyed him?
19So we see that because of their unbelief they were not able to enter his rest.

This speaks for itself. And yet time and time again I rebel, I turn my heart and thoughts away from the ONE who holds my forever.
I want to enter into HIS forever rest. I want to see the fullness of joy, freedom and sanctification while wrapped in flesh and walking amongst the world of darkness.
I want Jesus to be attractive in my life and draw people to Himself. I want to be bold and fearless and be confident in Jesus which is The Word of God and walk into any All Pathways meeting and have the attendees see and want more of the Jesus in me.
This isn’t about me. It’s about Jesus Christ and the Author and Perfector of our faith. It’s about betting my life on the Only ONE who holds my Salvation and Sanctification. It’s about selflessness, obedience, gratitude, service and pure love.