Working on working out #2

Thanks! Its right in my living room so I have no excuse not to lift every day haha.

This is beautiful man.

1 Like

I’ve just started doing yoga .xx

1 Like

Thanks, sure helps me through the rough days. You got a nice rack, it’s all that’s really needed. I do pretty much everything except deadlift in mine. It’s so nice not to have to weight for other people, I love having my own equipment.

Been almost 4 weeks since I got my rack and I feel so great. It was shocking at first to see how weak I had become but the gainz have been good and I am excited to see where I am at in another 6 weeks. Already told my boss that I read through the handbook and theres no rule saying I have to wear sleeves this summer :muscle::muscle:.

Went on my usual run this morning. For the first time in a long time, I was able to “open it up” at one point and go fast. As in, really fast. Good long strides, lots of time in the air. The clip I used to be able to go at prior to my back injury 2 years ago. The type of running where you realize…“Holy shit, I am friggin MOVING”. It felt great, and these little glimpses of my old self here and there are what give me hope that I can eventually get back to where I used to be, athletically, and eventually return to the soccer field. I haven’t played in over 2 years at this point, just couldn’t move the same way. My greatest asset as a player was my speed, and the back injury took it from me. I still have the stamina thanks to my distance running, but sprints and explosiveness are an entirely different ballgame.

While I have still been able to maintain my lifting and running routine, the lower back/hips/legs just have never felt the same (most of you know this, mentioned it in the past). But glimpses such as the one this morning give me hope. After my last acute flare-up of my injury, which required me to take a month off, I begrudgingly cut out squats from my lifting routine and that seems to have helped a ton. It’s not ideal, but there are other compound leg exercises to be done.

So now I have a goal, which I haven’t had in a while as far as fitness goes…it’s just been maintenance with trying to avoid re-injury. Ya’ll know that I am a season ticket holder for the local soccer club. The supporter’s group I am in hosts a match on the actual field every year (so in the actual stadium the real team plays in) for people who want to play, which I did not volunteer for last year but desperately wanted to. My goal is to play in it this year, it’s in the summer. I won’t do it if I can’t go 100%, that’s just the stubbornness in me. But I think I can do it. Once it gets a bit warmer, there will be soccer nets up at the field down the road from my house. The plan is to go a few times a week to get my sprints back, and to get back my foot dexterity and ability to steer the ball, especially through the air, as I primarily play out on the wing.
Also going to maybe start attending yoga to get some of the limberness and freedom of movement back. I think a lot of this is that I have mentally trained myself to not move certain ways. Pro athletes talk about this as being a big hurdle coming back from injury, learning to trust your body and your movements again.

I am cautiously optimistic, excited.

5 Likes

Yoga has made a huge difference in my ability to stay healthy. Mentally and physically. Glad you’re incorporating it into your fitness plan. It’s helped me to bring more awareness about my body and when to step back and breathe or rest rather than try to power through.
Also, it’s given me techniques to get my back feeling good again after a setback. I’ve been doing it once or twice a week for over 6 years (with some extended absences) and I still feel like a beginner.
:pray:

4 Likes

And who can resist a good stretching…that’s why I dig yin…great inner work AND a great stretch.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it’s been beneficial for you buddy, hope it can do the same for me. I stretch twice per day, paying special attention to my legs and back, using stretches/exercises I learned in physical therapy – as well as some stretches I found online that are based in yoga. I am hoping that actually taking a proper yoga class can help me expand on that!

2 Likes

Down Dog is a great app that is nearly as good as a class. It’s not free, but the price is pretty good in comparison to a studio/instructor. There is a free trial phase if you want to give it a go. If you prefer to practice in the comforts of your own space it’s useful. Or I do use it if I happen to miss a class. I’ve been intending to start my day with a 35 minute warmup (at least a few times a week). Haven’t been great about it but I’m saying here it for some accountability.

2 Likes

I was happy with a 10 minute kettlebell work out yesterday…so bravo to you!!

1 Like

Yin is really great for stretching mind and body. Check out some on YouTube. Kassandra does yin and so does Sara Beth
Also some Travis Elliot, love him!

2 Likes

Same here…some days a kick ass tabata class, kettlebells at home, 20 mile bike, and push mow the lawn in Florida summer…other days…read a book all day. The beauty tho is I no longer feel I have to do such and such to be healthy. These days I am much much more able to hear what my body and mind are asking me for and honoring my self in that way.

2 Likes

Not bad! Youd be able to run with me now!

Yeah, it’s a doable pace. I used to run at a 7:30 pace, now I’ve slowed down with a higher elevation and lack of training.

2 Likes

Damn that’s good lol. When I first started I weighed 236 and couldn’t even run a quarter miles. I’m now hitting a 5k in like 35 minutes, and 5 miles in like a hour. So better anyway. Running a mile in like 11.20 at a pace of 5mph, but hey I’m getting there. I’m down to 200 pounds, hope I can hit where you’re at eventually. That’s awesome man good job

4 Likes

25 push ups is my morning routine, after my 10 minutes just sittning in stillness.
I used to have a whole 30 min pass with yoga and core excercises, but I changed it to go out and walk for 30 minutes before breakfast instead. I recently started jogging but I dont know if you would actually call it that. I have never done anything like this before so. 2km per day and an additional walk for about 6km / day. Anyways, it makes me happy :v:t2:
These two makes me run farther then I would actually be able to on my own

1 Like

That covers alot! Before my friend left town we did timed planks, each day we’d add more time to it. It was fun; I was surprised at how much stronger we got.
I love using the weighted ball for sit ups too.

1 Like

Random fun fact; when I was in 5th grade we had this thing called th Presidential Awards…all the school’s in the nation were involved. The boys did pull ups and the girls did arm hangs; basically staying up there instead of up and down.
I did the longest time in the whole nation, lol. I actually could’ve done longer but everyone was making such a big deal of it I got self conscious, lol!:grin::smirk:

2 Likes